The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 09-17-2004, 11:12 AM   #1
Chris MC
IT'S IN THE TREES! ... IT'S COMING! ...

Location: I moved down to Southampton on the central South Coast in 1967
I've Just Bought Jack La Lanne's Power Juicer ...

he didn't want it any more (giggle) But seriously, do any of you guys/gals own one and what's your favourite recipe? ... Oh and what are squashes, sweet or savoury? I'm in the UK and have no experience of them but they're available here.

Chris.
"It doesn't involve going to the theater."
"In my experience, Mr. Grissom, some men go to the theater ... some men are the theater."
-- Lady Heather and Gil Grissom (Slaves of Las Vegas)
Chris MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 07:22 PM   #2
jane_says
Colonist Extraordinaire

My parents and my aunt and uncle do that juice-making business. They all seem to like it; they talk about it a lot anyway.They use a lot of vegetables and fruits also. My aunt puts this horrible green stuff called Barley Green, which I refer to as Soylent Green, in all her juices. My dad likes making his own grape juice (I suspect he may also be making wine when my mom's not looking).
I don't have any recipes, but one small warning. My uncle, who's kind of a weirdo anyway, got on the carrot juice pretty heavy. He was buying fifty pounds of carrots at a time from an organic farmer and turning them all into juice. He drank so much over the course of a couple of months that his skin starting turning orange. He went to the dermatologist who told him what was causing it. I swear that's a true story.
jane_says is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 02:52 AM   #3
Chris MC

Yeah, I've heard that too ... in fact, any highly coloured food if taken in quantity will produce skin colouration.

Chris.
"In my experience, Mr. Grissom, some men go to the theater ... some men are the theater."
Old 09-18-2004, 09:39 PM   #4
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Don't forget changes in urine color and scent. Those are typically faster to happen and far more distressing than the skin color changes.

You do have to watch with carrots, though. Vitamin A toxicity is not pretty, I hear.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 09:33 AM   #5
Chris MC

Woha yeah, I've just read this, it's enough to make you ill.

Chris.
Old 09-19-2004, 11:00 AM   #6
jane_says
Colonist Extraordinaire

Carotenemia, yep, that was it. Although he didn't have any of the unpleasant symptoms besides the change in color.
jane_says is offline   Reply With Quote