The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 05-06-2008, 05:03 PM   #1
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Cruel Parents - Bad Names

I just had to call a sales person for an appliance I'm buying. She is a young white girl named Farah Khan.

I think her parents must be jerks for this. I got into an argument with someone awhile back because they named their son "Ocean White Dodson". I told them it was cruel and wrong to do that to him, and they have guaranteed that he will be picked on and get into a lot of fights and it may even effect his ability to get work later in life.

They acted like I was a big jerk for saying it. It's the truth. Kids are mean and they will pick on someone like that. Also, they are under the belief that someone's name is connected with their individualism. They accused me of being narrow-minded and suggested that having an "original" name makes the person more artistic or original.

As a father, I think it's my responsibility to make sure my children have an easier time of it than I did. I'm not saying we should all name our kids John Smith, just that we don't put our own warped sense of creativity or before the feelings of our kids. I live in L.A. where everyone thinks they're an actor and thinks spelling their name a strange way makes them cool. "Hi, my name is Cindy, but with it's spelled "Syndie" or "I'm Frank, spelled "Phrainque"

Personally speaking of I had two resumes in front of me, and one had the name "Steven Putnam" and the other had "Phrainque Johnson", the latter would have no chance at the job. I wouldn't look any further on his resume than the name. He could be the single most qualified and talented candidate, but he'd have a hard time finding work because his parents acted selfishly.

What do you think?
Old 05-06-2008, 05:09 PM   #2
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

With a name like Ocean he'll easily get a job on a soap opera. Don't worry your pretty head about it Radar. He'll be fine.

Some people think Maverick is a stupid name for a child. My son loves it though. Other people think the way I spell my other sons same is wrong, but Aden is an anagram for Edna who was his great grandmother. She passed away shortly before he was born. He would have been her first great grandchild.

If a kid doesn't like their name or thinks it will affect their career prospects, they can change it when they are old enough.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:13 PM   #3
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Yes, but in the mean time they must suffer, get beat up, and end up hating your guts because you wanted to be "creative".
Old 05-06-2008, 05:27 PM   #4
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

What's wrong with Farah?
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:40 PM   #5
kerosene
Touring the facilities

I grew up with a girl named Farah. She was actually quite popular and made fun of me...not my name, though.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:41 PM   #6
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Look at me, my mother named me HungLikeJesus. I'm not bitter.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:44 PM   #7
kerosene
Touring the facilities

What was your father's name?
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:53 PM   #8
binky
all hollowed out

My previous married name was Keene, and my best friend hounded me for weeks to name my oldest daughter Peachie

This time around my last name is Fox, and she was thrilled that my middle child was to be Katherine, she was like "ooh you can nickname her Kit"
Old 05-06-2008, 05:58 PM   #9
binky
all hollowed out

Of course she wanted to name her son Augustus, until her husband flatly refused
Old 05-06-2008, 06:06 PM   #10
Cloud

You would discriminate against someone based on their name? (shock) I think that's indescribably awful! I'm also trying to figure out what the problem is with "Farah Khan." (saying it to myself trying to figure out if it works out to something nasty).

My philosophy in naming my kids is short enough and common enough to be recognizable and spellable--but uncommon enough not to be everyone else's names. My kids, however named theirs . . . well, LOL! they're a lot worse!

sometimes, it's not the parents fault, i.e., when it's the last name. I come across bad names all the times in law firms name. Like: Butt. or Hitler. I mean, come on--I'd change it.

On the other hand, if you're a guy and you have a really horrible name--you can become a professional football player. Ever notice how many of those guys have awful names? (my favorite is Dick Butkus "Butt-Kiss"). I theorize that they had to toughen up because of their name, and ended up big and tough--and playing football.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:12 PM   #11
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by case View Post
What was your father's name?
Mary.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:13 PM   #12
Cloud

ha! My father's name was Waters Brown M_____.

He went by "Brown"
Old 05-06-2008, 06:24 PM   #13
binky
all hollowed out

A possible problem with Farah Khan might be http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Farrakhan
Old 05-06-2008, 06:34 PM   #14
Drax
Banned

How 'bout just John He-llo! They call the bathroom!
Drax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:40 PM   #15
sweetwater
lives inside a Mobius strip

In addition to names, one should consider initials. A friend named her daughter such that the initials spells MARS and did not notice it until I mentioned it. Initials are not as bad as names, however. Cutsie names might easily fly in one part of the country (or world, for all I know) but in others they are a definite liability. Don't blame the person who wears the name bestowed by the idiot parents - unless you are concerned that the silliness might be hereditary.