The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 09-05-2006, 09:46 PM   #31
Hagar
Master of the Domain

Germaine Greer's piece in The Guardian - now there's a venomous reptile.

Bring me my harpoon.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 10:22 PM   #32
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

http://www.guardian.co.uk/australia/...865124,00.html

That woman just needs to get laid...by a man!
Old 09-05-2006, 10:47 PM   #33
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

she sure can fill out a page
Old 09-05-2006, 11:26 PM   #34
Aliantha

What a dingbat! Has her vision become so clouded that she has to attack someone posthumusly to satisfy her own sense of self righteousness?

There's no doubt that Steve Irwin has done a few things in his time which have been questionable, however, the man had a passion which made it much easier to forgive these actions.

I was talking to my partner about this just the other day. Steve has been such a major figure for Australian tourism and conservation over recent years and his death made us feel like a friend we once knew had died.

Regardless of what you think of his actions, it's clear that the wildlife of Australia and possibly the world has lost a champion for their cause.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:03 PM   #35
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
... But I *do* agree about Irwin's sense of humor. I think he would, indeed, get the joke...
I heard that he did a commercial for ESPN where he jumped on the mascot of the Florida Gators, who was in full gator costume, and wrestled with him. I was told it was very funny. If that's not self-parody, I don't know what is...
Old 09-06-2006, 07:28 PM   #36
JayMcGee
Cardigan-wearing man

hmmmmmmph.....

Greer has gone full circle from 'rebel without a bra' to 'doyen of the pseudo-intlectuall set'.....

pass the matches and lets get back to basics....
Old 09-06-2006, 08:52 PM   #37
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I heard a quote from Jack Hannah, no small fry in the big zoological pond himself, regarding the unlikeliness of Irwin being killed by a mere stingray:

"Steve Irwin being killed by a stingray is as weird as me being killed by a poodle."
Old 09-06-2006, 10:44 PM   #38
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

So that's Germaine Greer: sour, sour, sour. In a way, it's unfortunate her column is ephemeral, to pass and be forgotten with the rest. Don't recall ever hearing that she was an expert on animal psychology.

Last edited by Urbane Guerrilla; 09-06-2006 at 10:48 PM.
Urbane Guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 05:03 AM   #39
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet
I heard that he did a commercial for ESPN where he jumped on the mascot of the Florida Gators, who was in full gator costume, and wrestled with him. I was told it was very funny. If that's not self-parody, I don't know what is...
A friend actually sent me the link to that today, it was very amusing.
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 12:16 PM   #40
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla
Don't recall ever hearing that she was an expert on animal psychology.
Au contraire'. Doesn't a bitch know a thing or two about the other animals?
Old 09-07-2006, 01:12 PM   #41
rkzenrage

Though said in a much more unpleasant way, she pretty-much said what I did in my initial post.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:41 PM   #42
bbro
Insert witty comment here

Here's an article about Greer and her peice
http://www.time.com/time/arts/articl...532375,00.html
bbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 02:01 PM   #43
rkzenrage

It addressed the mean spirit of her article, but not my main problem with his career... It was very poorly written.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:34 PM   #44
Aliantha

rkzen...

You may believe that how Steve Irwin conducted his life and his business was wrong and that's your right however, believe me when I tell you that how he behaved on camera was not an act. This man had a true passion for what he believed in, and that of course was conservation and education.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:47 AM   #45
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

So I'm reading the article and thinking to myself, there is no way she's spewing this vitriolic bile out of the clear blue sky - there's gotta be some history between these two.

A little googling and I'd say its 50% man-hating, femi-Nazi-ism, 50% from his chummyness with John Howard/George Bush and 50% that she is also in the business of wildlife conservation in Austrailia and, its reasonable to assume, Irwin probably didn't treat her with the same reverence that most shriveled-up feminist intellectuals think they are entitled to.

Allow me to share a few of Ms. Greer's pearls of intellectual discourse with the class so that perhaps - don't get your hopes up-, someday, we can strip away the crusty outer shell of ignorance and self-delusion that keep regular folk like you and me writhing like one-celled amoeba in the bottom of the gene pool while Ms. Greer and her ilk look down upon us with the disdain and scorn we so richly deserve...

Quote:
In 2003 she criticised J.R.R. Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings" trilogy for attracting "spaced-out hippies, environmentalists, free-market libertarians, social conservatives, pacifists, new-age theosophists, sexists and racists the world over".
Referring to the many documentaries by Irwin, she had this to say:

Quote:
"I am sick and tired of programmes that tell me that the world is full of wicked, nasty, powerful, deadly creatures. Why does Australia set itself up to be made into this hellhole?"
I wonder if she and Irwin locked horns at some point...
Quote:
In addition to her writing, she has an active interest in conserving wildlife, managing an area of rainforest in Australia. She is also active in promoting insects living on brownfield sites, warning decision makers of the potential damage to biodiversity that would result if key sites were tidied up or developed.
And interestingly...
Quote:
Greer was revealed as one of eight contestants in the 2005 series of Celebrity Big Brother. She had previously said that the show was "as civilized as looking through the keyhole in your teenager's bedroom door".
Interesting comment from a thinking woman's woman given the book she published 24 months prior...
Quote:
The Beautiful Boy was published in 2003, an art history book about the beauty of teenage boys, richly illustrated with 200 photographs of what The Guardian called "succulent teenage male beauty", alleging that Greer had reinvented herself as a "middle-aged pederast." Greer described the book as an attempt to address women's apparent indifference to the teenage boy as a sexual object and to "advance women's reclamation of their capacity for, and right to, visual pleasure" (Greer 2003).
Well, Ms. Greer, if I had to choose between all the good and all the good will Steve Irwin did and proffered in his short career and your contribution to cockroach conservation, putting Tolkien fans in their place, pimping yourself on reality TV and, lastly, earning yourself an honorary lifetime membership to NAMBLA, then I'll have to go with Irwin.

Maybe, Ms. Greer, you can fall in the line of duty like Mr. Irwin did. For him, the animal kingdom he loved, respected and cared for is where his last moments were spent. Given your tepid and sordid contribution to humanity, I figure you'll end up face down somewhere a lot less flattering and with a lot less dignity.

Last edited by Beestie; 09-08-2006 at 01:52 AM.
Beestie is offline   Reply With Quote