The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 09-22-2005, 06:36 AM   #16
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
They are from Saanen, Boer, Nubian, etc.. stock. My MD has been breeding these animals for a while as part of his hard core country living reaction to having a real career.
Oh, they're American goats.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:38 PM   #17
Mary Jane and Me
IS IN HIDING.............CAN YOU FIND ME???

Hey Griff we got some goats, some horses and some cattle..............think the goats r my fav tho........urs are way too cute.......
Mary Jane and Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 12:41 AM   #18
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

Griff, yesterday I went to the Fresno County Fair, one of the things which is really cool about living here. I spent a lot of time watching the FFA guys showing their goats, it was the same procedures as showing Australian Shepherds, they even move the feet so the goat is standing in an elegant position and looking noble, or as much as a goat CAN look elegant and noble. There were also some newborn kids, very tiny like cats because their mom is a dwarf breed. All the Nubians stood up on their hind legs with their front hooves on the top of the fence and tried to nibble our hair. Goats also try to talk to people who come to their pens, unlike the cattle at the Fair who just lie there and poop.

If I didn't live in a condo, I'd probably have gone home with a few goats of my own

That afternoon, the Honorable Governator Ahnold visited the Fresno Fair and was photographed holding a baby goat! I missed seeing that, but I did get within 10 feet of him in the Agriculture Exposition building, where he squeezed peaches (gotcha, Bruce!), patted babies, and made a speech about how Fresno County was the foodbasket of the world. Yeah, it really WAS, once, when I first visited here in 1970, but now the local officials have become whores of the developers and have allowed most of that finest agricultural land in the world to be paved and covered with sprawling, hideous subdivisions for which there are no trees, parks, water, or public transportation. I don't wanna get started on that, though, because the Fair is one POSITIVE experience we have every year and I always look forward to it. Anyway, Ahnold is much shorter than 6 feet tall, his hair is dyed and sprayed like a Texan's, and he was wearing makeup. He also stood there patiently with a grin frozen on his face while a 90-year-old Republican fan shouted the chorus of "God Bless America" in his face (that was painful even from 10 feet away.

All in all, the goats were a lot more fun than the Governor
Old 10-07-2005, 02:12 AM   #19
Sun_Sparkz
Has Body Temperature

My Goats name is fran.. theres a thread here somewhere. When i got her i was.. TERRIFIED. trust me.. DO NOT spoil your baby goats.. if they think for one second that they have it over you.. god help you! and make sure as they grow you maintain their enclosure to suit their size. they can jump.. and they can climb.. and they can head butt, and they can squish through VERY small holes and they can kenive and they can try outsmart you and they can be mean and they can fly through the air and they can brainwash you into spending copius amounts of money on them!!!

But i LOVE my franny. she is my favourite animal of all.. just get a few goat books on training and health and youll be ok. (watch out for their under hooves.. VERY sensitive to things like wet grass, too much sandy dirt, too much concrete etc.)
Old 10-07-2005, 03:52 AM   #20
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonchi
I missed seeing that, but I did get within 10 feet of him in the Agriculture Exposition building, where he squeezed peaches (gotcha, Bruce!), patted babies, and made a speech about how Fresno County was the foodbasket of the world.
Aww..you got my goat.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:01 AM   #21
Griff
still says videotape

They really are wonderful animals. They were born in a pasture with electric page fencing and we put up the same kind so they rarely test it. They wiped out the first block of brush we fenced in and they're working on the second. We put them in an old garden plot between and they left that fence alone. We're going to get more electric fencing and a permanent fence for around their shed.

Poor Ahnoldt.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:14 AM   #22
warch
lurkin old school

Cool for you! the cheese potential is particularly interesting.
Raising goats for mohair is big in Texas, I attended some shearing contests back in the day. It was a wild scene. Best of luck.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 03:16 PM   #23
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Curry
Old 10-07-2005, 03:38 PM   #24
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

You're talking about what you use to brush those lovely mohair coats on those goats, right, a curry comb. He named them, you see. You can't e - a - t anything you've named. You should know that.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:01 PM   #25
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

pictures pictures PICTURES!

Bring on the crazy animal pictures. I live for them! I wish we were home more so that I could get a pet...I live vicariously through all of you
Old 10-10-2005, 01:12 AM   #26
lheene
Resident Denizen

goats huh... cool! But their poops really stink!
lheene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 09:04 AM   #27
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV
You're talking about what you use to brush those lovely mohair coats on those goats, right, a curry comb. He named them, you see. You can't e - a - t anything you've named. You should know that.
Wanna bet? That's what Rise, Shine, Up, Attem, Day and Night might have thought, but they were delicious. Mmmmm...bacon.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:10 PM   #28
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

Birria! Nothing is too tough if you boil it for two days

Griff reminded me when he told how they mowed through the brush around his house. Southern California is now experimenting with placing herds of goats in the hills above those very burnable subdivisions. They clear out all the dry brush and weeds miraculously, and you don't have to pay them minimum wage. Sounds like that has potential for creating new jobs: seasonal migrant workers with their trailer loaded with goats, hiring out to protect the most affluent residential areas in the state
Old 10-18-2005, 06:12 PM   #29
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat
Bring on the crazy animal pictures. I live for them! I wish we were home more so that I could get a pet...I live vicariously through all of you
Nothing crazy here we missed the goat in the bush pic... maybe next time.

and a nice fall shot

Old 10-18-2005, 06:29 PM   #30
Iggy
Back and ready to tart up the place

They are so cute! Now I want me some goats...