The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 12-29-2019, 03:09 PM   #91
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Everything points to Hunter's highly paid pretend job being given on the assumption that it would be protection against investigation not a more specific quid pro quo.
Or it is a standard BoD method of giving outsiders, who they want cooperation from, by putting one of their people on the board. At that time, new management was trying to eliminate major and well known corruption. It was threatened by the US with loss of business and support if they did not stop corruption.

What better than to put an American, with contacts inside America, on their board. Then someone on their board is reporting back on how the BoDs are trying to and are addressing corruption.

BoDs are routinely paid that kind of money. Many on a BoD because of who they know - contacts that a company needs. If that is corruption, then that defines most major companies in free market economies.

In one company that I am especially familiar with, a retired General was on its board because he was involved with Pentagon operations that were the source of their new contracts. Many Directors are chosen because of who they know and the resulting contacts they bring. In this case, Biden's son was brought in AFTER that Ukrainian energy company had new management that promised to eliminate major corruption.

They wanted Americans to know what they were doing. That they were trying to correct what Amercans had accused them of. Doing so would take many years. But with an American on its board, then Americans would understand they were trying. And contacts would exist to help address that problem.

But again, reality is far more complex then a soundbyte that so many are told to believe. Most believe the soundbyte because it is easier to grasp. Other classic examples include Saddam's WMDs and that Challenger was an accident. Or that Boeing management did not know the 737Max was fundamentally flawed.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 05:34 PM   #92
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

It was a conflict of interest to have the son of a US official with influence over the situation sitting on the board and being paid by THEM, not US. He was THEIR mouth, NOT OUR ears. It's not hard for any adult to discern whose interests the guy who was kicked out of the US Navy Reserve*, after testing positive for cocaine, was serving and who he was willing to use to get his paycheck (his father administered his commissioning oath).

*He had to get an age waiver and a previous drug offense waiver to get in.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 08:23 PM   #93
Luce
Weaponized Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
I never thought about that, do you have a choice in accepting a pardon or not?
Maybe we don't know because nobody ever has tried to decline a pardon.
If you can't decline, can you appeal it?
Pardons can and have been refused.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Wilson
Old 12-29-2019, 11:05 PM   #94
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That's interesting, death for robbing the mail. And he refused the pardon, I wonder why.
Old 12-30-2019, 08:51 AM   #95
Luce
Weaponized Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
That's interesting, death for robbing the mail. And he refused the pardon, I wonder why.
Back in Jackson's day, you could get hanged for all manner of shit.

I am guessing that he flat up refused to admit any guilt.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:50 PM   #96
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
It was a conflict of interest to have the son of a US official with influence over the situation sitting on the board and being paid by THEM, not US.
So if your father is a US President, then you cannot have any job. Conflict of interest.

Even a wife can have a job separate from her husband. That also is not a conflict of interest unless specific evidence and events says a specific conflict exists. If on a BoD, no such conflict exists.

Biden's son is his own man. He was not representing the US government. He was his own man with his own job. He was not even in politics.

A TV show "Blue Bloods" cannot happen? Because the father is Chief of Police, then other family members that are cops or ADA is corruption? That is your reasoning - that only exists in right wing rhetoric.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:52 PM   #97
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luce View Post
I am guessing that he flat up refused to admit any guilt.
Suicide by Executioner.
Old 12-30-2019, 08:58 PM   #98
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
… Biden's son is his own man. He was not representing the US government. He was his own man with his own job. He was not even in politics. ...
Only an adult who still thinks like a child cannot understand that this is about Joe Biden, not Hunter Biden.

Quote:
… It was threatened by the US with loss of business and support if they did not stop corruption. ...
There existed, as you stated, an adversarial relationship that created a conflict of interest. Hunter Biden has duped Joe Biden before. Joe Biden is a credulous man who should've had the integrity to excuse himself from involvement in the situation and turn it over to someone else while his son was there in an influential capacity. To wit:

Quote:
Or it is a standard BoD method of giving outsiders, who they want cooperation from, by putting one of their people on the board. ...
Hunter Biden was hired to influence Americans to include Joe Biden by his son's mere presence there. Joe Biden's poor judgement in this and other areas will be his downfall.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 11:40 PM   #99
Luce
Weaponized Funk

Quote:
Suicide by Executioner.
I've known the kind of people that would take a dive before admitting to something they didn't do.