The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 12-03-2001, 10:54 AM   #1
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

A Day in Nome

I have a mild fascination with our 49th state. I definitely want to visit there before I pass on.

This is what it looked like on Front Street in Nome, Alaska at 7:15 AST (11:15 EST) this morning. It is a brisk -6 degrees F there. Normally, at 7:15am in our part of the world right now, it is getting light and the sun is coming up. Image courtesy of the Nomecam.

Sunrise in Nome today is at 11:32am AST.

Attached Images

Last edited by elSicomoro; 12-03-2001 at 08:27 PM.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 11:02 AM   #2
dave

My uncle lives there. But he's a douchebag, so I won't be staying with him.

However, I *will* get there before the end of me life, if only to see the amazing, the fantasical, the wonderful aurora borealis. Ah.
Old 12-03-2001, 11:22 AM   #3
jet_silver
wazmo medio

My sister lives in Anchorage with her family. Anchorage is three degrees of latitude south of Nome. This is about 180 n.mi. as the crow flies, assuming it doesn't freeze to death. Maybe it should be as the Canada goose flies. It's also less than the difference in latitude between San Francisco and L.A.

And my sister -can't wait- for her husband's tour in Anchorage to be over. They hate it. You can't sleep without blackout shutters in the summer, and you can't wake up when it's dark all day long except for a mid-day Reduction of the Gloom. And getting anywhere in the winter, which lasts seven or eight months, is a chore. They also get moose in their back yard (a moose is like a Clydesdale with a hangover, stupid, ill-tempered and powerful) and bears where they go fishing half an hour's drive from their house.

Going to Alaska sounds like a good plan if you can go on a nice warm passenger ship with plenty of whisky aboard. If you don't like that idea, Stockholm's latitude is 59N, and Stockholm's full of nice Swedish girls and akvavit.
Old 12-03-2001, 11:28 AM   #4
dave

Ah. Nice swedish girls. And Volvos.

Heaven.

[Edit @ 1:02 PM 12-03-2001]

Dammit, now I'm thinking about nice Swedish girls. I need to stop reading the Cellar at work. aRRRR!

Last edited by dave; 12-03-2001 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-03-2001, 02:07 PM   #5
elSicomoro

And later in the day...

This is the view at 10:45 am AST, about 45 minutes before sunrise. I wish I would have been home about an hour earlier...I bet it would have made a really nice pic.
Attached Images

Old 12-03-2001, 02:36 PM   #6
dave

Re: And later in the day...

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
This is the view at 10:45 am AST, about 45 minutes before sunrise. I wish I would have been home about an hour earlier...I bet it would have made a really nice pic.
There's always tomorrow
Old 12-03-2001, 03:25 PM   #7
elSicomoro

Re: Re: And later in the day...

Quote:
Originally posted by dhamsaic

There's always tomorrow
Unfortunately, not for me. I have to go back to the Fascist Regime (my job) tomorrow. But I do have an interview on Friday...one can hope.
Old 12-03-2001, 03:58 PM   #8
dave

Where you interviewing at?

What kinda job you looking for?

Probably shouldn't be in this thread but I'm just interested
Old 12-03-2001, 04:21 PM   #9
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by dhamsaic
Where you interviewing at?

What kinda job you looking for?

Probably shouldn't be in this thread but I'm just interested
It's with a company in Old City Philadelphia, doing customer service work (order processing, talking to customers)...something I have been doing for 10 years now (and happen to do well). I've had pretty bad luck in finding and staying with a job here...probably b/c I'm at the point in my life where I want real satisfaction in my job. All I feel I do now is feed people's cell phone addiction...very unfulfilling. My true calling is writing, but that doesn't pay very well at this point.
Old 12-03-2001, 04:46 PM   #10
warch
lurkin old school

Syc- good luck with the interview! sending positives your way.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 05:25 PM   #11
dave

Heh. My true calling has always been writing. That's probably why my grammar ain't too shabby and my spelling is pretty tight. Right now I'm fascinated with computers now. I have 2 loves - expression and computers (that's if you don't count certain females). So... I figure, the best bet for me eventually will be a tech journalist. Just waiting for the chance

Good luck though. Both in getting a shot at writing and with your interview. It's only worth it if you're happy...
Old 12-03-2001, 08:43 PM   #12
elSicomoro

Last Nome pic of the day

This pic was at 5:10pm AST. Sunset was at 4:10pm.

I've heard good and bad about Alaska. I just find the state to be fascinating. You have this little town of 8,000 people, sitting along the Bering Sea, your only access to it by sea or air.

I tried to find a live pic from Barrow, where they will not see the sun again until sometime next month, but nothing available.
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2001, 10:30 AM   #13
dave

Re: Last Nome pic of the day

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
I tried to find a live pic from Barrow, where they will not see the sun again until sometime next month, but nothing available.
shitty webcams don't do too well with no light

it's cool to see a nome cam. i remember the mount fuji cam from way back in the day - one of the first webcams around. now it's as if every girl in the entire world has one on their monitor, and every guy has one on their desk, about crotch-level.

though i enjoy cams of cute females and the like, i really do enjoy *places* more. it's been a while since i saw one of a *place* rather than a person. so thanks for posting it
Old 12-04-2001, 01:21 PM   #14
blase
Coronation Incarnate

I keep toying with the idea of transferring to the University of Alaska at Anchorage just because I really want to spend some time up there. I'm also pretty impressed by the fact that the state has no taxes and every years you get a check that I've heard is on the order of $3000 just for being a resident.
blase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 01:51 PM   #15
dave

And this is why my slacker-ass uncle lives up there.

Must be nice though. Must be really nice. I pay so much in taxes now, and it's only going to increase as my pay does. Would be nice to hold on to even just a little bit more of it...

Wouldn't it be nice if the check came on like November 1? Christmas money.