The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

View Poll Results:
Audiophile 3 33.33%
Videophile 1 11.11%
Both about equally 5 55.56%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-2015, 12:48 AM   #1
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

I am BOTH........ I want the BEST natural audio/video I can get
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 01:20 AM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

What is natural video? Realistic color, proper proportions, no embellishments, no enhancements, or special effects?
Old 11-13-2015, 06:13 AM   #3
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Neither.
Peace and quiet to be able to hear both. But preferably a book.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:17 AM   #4
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

I'd assume, given his predilection toward obsolete technology, that he means Analog.

I've never been very picky about sound quality. I mean....if it's garbled or grainy there's a problem...but I'm more about hearing the music than the production quality. As long as I'm getting the full acoustic range that was intended, I'm happy enough. I have a subwoofer under my desk and altec lansing desk speakers. Good enough for me.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 10:35 AM   #5
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Back in the day it was very important to be an audiophile because people were playing their music through shitty kmart all-in-ones with cardboard speakers and taping a nickel to the turntable arm so the record wouldn't skip

the vinyl would be ruined after 5 plays

These days the sources are all digital and perfect and everyone has excellent earbuds. Even $15 computer speakers are better fidelity than the old kmart specials.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 11:01 AM   #6
Beest
Adapt and Survive

There was an interview on NPR yesterday with the last place making audio tapes, they say business is booming as kids experience the analog and realize how much richer the sound is.

I wouldn't call myself a 'phile, but poor sound and low quality video bug me when like UT said decent, if not studio quality, is available at a modest price.

I also love the under the desk sub woofer on PC speakers, full range sound.
Beest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 11:11 AM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Super zowie 6x9s sliding across the package shelf unsecured, or laying on the back seat, hooked to an AM radio through a reverb, which spawned an entire subsection of internet websites called, "misunderstood lyrics".

Aiding and abetting, was local bands doing covers in bars/clubs through the house PA system, or at outdoor venues through misplaced speakers that echoed.

But it was OK, as it was better than "adult music", and lyrics weren't as important as the beat... the beat... the beat...

Ooops, off on a little tangent... my bad, Dude111.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:43 AM   #8
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Depends on the context really. I'll happily sit through a film with horribly low resolution, or grainy as fuck from old footage, if the sound is decent. If it looks gorgeous but the sound is too far off I won't get drawn in the same.

I probably am a bit of an audiophile inasmuch as I get very frustrated by sound that is off kilter. I drive mum, and also J mad when we watch stuff, because I am fiddling about with the sound for the first few minutes oif anything we watch - and I will, if the sound is too thin, or too flat, switch it off and go find another version ...

On the other hand, I wll happily geek out on lighting and camera angles, and stuff like the 'shaky cam' on Evil Dead - so I do like it to look sharp.

It depends why I am watching - or what I am watching. If the visuals aren't very sharp on a standard procedural cop show, then that generally doesn't matter. On the other hand, a horror movie can lose a lot of its bite if you are just looking at a dark and grainy screen, without being able to see what is going on.

One of the main things I pick up on though in tv, movies and games is the soundscape. How the music is used and the sound effects both fascinate me. You can sell a lot with the right sound. And you can rob what might have worked well visually, of a lot of its power with the wrong sound.

In terms of quality of sound - I can't afford to be a geek about equipment. My days of spending £100+ on headphones are long gone. I make do with pretty basic stuff. It's good enough. As long as there's a decent depth of sound I'm happy. I have thrown away perfectly functional headphones and speakers that have sounded too thin and insubstantial.

I have no real preference for analogue or digital beyond the fact that digital is easy to get and doesn't require boxes or shelves.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 11:45 AM   #9
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Audiophile. I like it loud and clean.

I need to feel the noize.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:17 PM   #10
Zathris
"NOT THE ONE."

These days, most of the music I listen to comes thru my Altec Lansing BXR1220 2-Piece Desktop Speaker System, so a bitrate as low as 128 kbps is sufficient, but I do prefer the highest quality video.
Zathris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:33 PM   #11
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Audio all the way.

Put me down for what Gravdigr's talkin about.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:36 PM   #12
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

If I had money, I could easily spend a fortune on sound. I'm unlikely to spend a fortune on vision.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:10 PM   #13
glatt

I'm a very visual person so I want my video to be good enough so my eyesight can't detect the flaws. When I watch online videos, I can't stand resolutions in the 320 range. But 720 is good enough for me.

I really appreciate a good sound system though. We inherited my FIL top shelf audio system and it is really something special.

Gotta go with video though. I know there was talk of VHS in the other thread, and the resolution of that is only 240, which is completely unacceptable.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:38 PM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Video flaws are a good reminder what you're looking a screen, not reality, not out a window. You're looking at best, history(home movies, Pathe films), but probably fiction. Too many people have trouble separating the two.
Old 11-14-2015, 01:51 AM   #15
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim
I'd assume, given his predilection toward obsolete technology, that he means Analog.
Hey your right bud!!!

I wondered if anyone would pick it up thats what I meant by natural

Your awesome Jim!!
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote