The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 02-11-2016, 11:55 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Feb 12th, 2016: Women Picketing

When I saw this picture I wondered if it was a publicity stunt. But not wanting to rush to judgment I was obliged to study it closely for awhile, I mean that's only fair.
Hmm, is the Women’s Organization to War on Styles(WOWS) legitimate? I can't find any reference to it except as a caption to this picture on Imgur and Reddit.
Quote:
Members of the Women’s Organization to War on Styles picket a dress shop in Berkeley in 1947, in protest to longer skirts and padded hips.
link

After women experiencing the military, business, and industrial work during the war, I had a hunch they were more confident in expressing their opinion on their clothing. So is the caption accurate, what was happening in woman's fashion in 1947?
Quote:
In the 1947, women's dress code changed dramatically from the trim waist and hips ,broad chest and shoulder pads with shoulder-length curled or rolled hair to the New Look! The New Look debuted via Christian Dior in 1947. Sloping shoulders, cinched waists ,and wider than wide hips! With Longer lengths and drastically fuller skirts. Woman’s fashion now changed to a soft, feminine and decidedly romantic image. As a result, ironically, women’s emancipation was stalled somewhat with women being shooed back into the kitchen once more.
link
Ah, my hunch was right, this probably is legit, even if it's on a very small scale. You go girl
Old 02-12-2016, 04:14 PM   #2
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Don't know about Berkeley, but those circles on the sidewalk show up in Seattle too. They're thick cylinders of glass embedded in the slab of concrete to permit light into the walkways under the sidewalk. .
Old 02-12-2016, 06:14 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

One of the commenters at Reddit was lamenting the loss of the purple glass sidewalk plugs in San Francisco. I wonder if it was a west coast thing?