The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 12-23-2008, 01:15 AM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Dec 23, 2008: African Tribal War

Looking through Boston.Com's "The Year 2008 in Photographs", like all year end collections, evoked memories of things that have been pushed into the background by more recent events. But, when I saw this picture I had no recollection of ever hearing about it.

Most conflicts in the world, even small ones, are usually played out with AK-47s and Rocket Propelled Grenades, not bows & arrows.
Quote:
Maasai warriors cover a battle field as they clash with bows and arrows with members of the Kalenjin tribe in the Kapune hill overlooking the Olmelil valley located in the Transmara District in Western Kenya on March 01, 2008. The Massai, the Kalenjin and the Kisii tribes have recently clashed over ongoing land disputes that erupted after botched local elections during the general elections held in Kenya in December of 2007. Over twenty warriors from the tribes have been killed in bow and arrow battles near the borders of these tribes in the last couple of months. (Yasuyoshi Chiba/AFP/Getty Images)
Over 20 killed? I wonder how many wounded. It's a good thing they don't have AKs and RPGs, because those bright colors make great targets.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:59 AM   #2
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Warriors? Allrighty then.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:01 AM   #3
SPUCK
Professor

Yeah color problems.. Bloods and Crips everywhere!!

Think what a guy with compound bow and a bunch of aluminum arrows could do... yikes.

"No one can hit me from - uhck!"
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 06:26 AM   #4
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

There was a lot of trouble in Kenya this year, a lot of it sparked off by the election. Of course it was along tribal lines, so it doesn't take much to get things going.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 08:34 AM   #5
sweetwater
lives inside a Mobius strip

At first glance I thought it was a Guinness record attempt for simultaneous golfing. Guess not! Imagine, though, the relative quietness of a conflict resolved with bows and arrows. You could hear the agonized screams of your enemy & comrades when an arrow pierced flesh.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:50 AM   #6
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUCK View Post
Yeah color problems.. Bloods and Crips everywhere!!Think what a guy with compound bow and a bunch of aluminum arrows could do... yikes.
Bloods & Crips everywhere!!

Old & Busted: Aluminum arrows.
New Hotness: Arrows made from carbon nanotubes.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:56 PM   #7
floatingk
The desert SW sucks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUCK View Post
"No one can hit me from - uhck!"
I spilled my coffee...frickin hilarious!!!!!!: biglaugha
floatingk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 06:50 PM   #8
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

Somehow the word that seems to go with this image is civilized.
No stealth, no mortars, no landmines, no unmanned drones flown from Palmdale, no IED's or cluster bombs.
20 killed vs. the hundreds of thousands wiped out, maimed and raped in that part of Africa just seems to be of a human scale.
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 07:14 PM   #9
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Time for someone to make some cash giving one side repeating rifles and the other wiskey.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:41 PM   #10
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Why doesn't one side just grab a bunch of machetes and go after the guys with bows and arrows? One of the reasons archers stood behind infantry was because once enemy got in close the bow and arrow were useless.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:21 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Great idea, you go first.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:29 AM   #12
Wombat
(marsupial with backward-facing pouch)

I worked in a hospital in rural Kenya for a while in 1994 (Maua if you're interested). One day we had several dozen people come in with arrow wounds, because a couple of tribes a few miles down the hill had a battle over some land. One tribe got pretty much wiped out: the wounded we saw were the lucky ones, all the rest of their tribe had died because most of the arrows used were poisoned: the only survivors were the few that had been hit by un-poisoned arrows. This didn't even make Kenyan news, let alone international news. Shit like this goes on all the time but you won't hear about it. Something to think about as you tuck into your Christmas roast in your safe warm house.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:16 AM   #13
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
...the wounded we saw were the lucky ones, all the rest of their tribe had died because most of the arrows used were poisoned: the only survivors were the few that had been hit by un-poisoned arrows.
Well, there's my problem right there...I got to go poison me up some arrows. (No wonder my victims have been escaping lately...)

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 11:51 PM   #14
Tick
Do-er of Deeds

About those bright colors. Africa had a thriving textile industry. It died when the USA started sending cargo ships loaded with tons of used clothing pressed into bales. The intent was good. The result: Not so much.

Tick
Tick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:11 AM   #15
onetrack
Coronation Incarnate

This is America, 2012, after the Democrats take all your guns off you, and repeal the Second Amendment ..