The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 11-06-2014, 02:47 PM   #1
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

Obama, what has he done for you??

I see the whining of some of you because the majority of America has turned its back on the Democratic Party under the leadership of President Obama.

I ask you, what has Obama done for you? Are you better off under his administration??
Old 11-06-2014, 03:29 PM   #2
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Yes. I'm unemployed (through no fault of this administration, the fault of my industry, so don't go there) but am able to afford MY OWN health insurance that I really need. Continuous care and medication that I need and am covered for even though pre-existing conditions. Without this care I'd probably be dead.

And I'm not making the taxpayers pay for my medical care by running to the hospital every time something happens like some folks I know.

And there are jobs that maybe aren't what I'm used to doing but i can damn sure work in this economy. When I want to, I will. (benefits of having saved money.)

So, yeah. Trying to figure out what the repubs have done for us common folk. I'll get back to you on that one.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 03:32 PM   #3
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
majority of America
You mean the single digit percentage of swing voters in a third of the states which were mostly red already who were slightly more motivated to actually show up at their polling place?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 03:45 PM   #4
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sarge View Post
Are you better off under his administration??
By quite a bit. I started my investment portfolio after Bush left.

So I suppose I could give some credit to Bush for tanking the economy, so I could buy stocks cheap.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 03:45 PM   #5
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Sarge - tell me, what would a republican president do for you?
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 04:39 PM   #6
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Obama, what has he done for you??
Well, he shit on my country...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:23 PM   #7
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Quote:
I ask you, what has Obama done for you? Are you better off under his administration??
Yes, sweet Sarge, yes. Obamacare means that I can get health insurance with my new job IN SPITE OF THE FACT that I had a diagnosis of breast cancer in 2012. Never mind that I came through surgery and chemo like a winner, and have no further problems now, no evidence of any disease ... under the REPUBLICAN plan, insurance companies would be free to refuse me health coverage for the next 25 years ... as they have to many others in my situation in the past.

I see young people for pre-placement physicals every day, people who would never qualify for health insurance if the Republicans had their way. Young people who are healthy and willing to work, and who happen to have the odd medical condition like psoriasis, or childhood asthma with no current symptoms, or a diagnosis of cancer in the past with no recurrence.

None of these things are anyone's fault, and they should be covered by health insurance. I will always vote for a party or plan that intends to provide coverage for the slings and arrows that life deals us.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:40 PM   #8
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Right, I had a pre-existing condition when I got insurance last month and never even gave it a moment's thought.

But it's almost like the country wants the pendulum swing; today we'll focus on this side's issues, and next time we'll give the other side their issues. And all the while, two-thirds of our time will be spent criticizing, no matter who's in office. We can't have term limits, at least we'll have the never-ending swing. Could there be a country wisdom in it?
Old 11-07-2014, 08:05 AM   #9
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Well, he shit on my country...
That's so easy to say, Grav. Now do me a favor, and explain specifics why you feel that way.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:13 AM   #10
Spexxvet

Quote:
I see the whining of some of you because the majority of America has turned its back on the Democratic Party under the leadership of President Obama.
Remember, Sarge, half the US's IQ is less than average. Those, coupled with some gullible smart people and some greedy, callous, selfish, rich people, get you a majority.

Quote:
The difference between you and me is that I care what it's done for others. I didn't really need help, and don't expect help, but I see that others, like you, Infi, Ortho, do. Obama expanded the care that veterans receive, after the repubicans cut funding for you.

Obama would have done much more if the repubicans had not cock blocked him at every turn. How much can a party really want to do what's best for Americans when the first thing McConnell said after the election was (to perephrase) "Our goal is to make Obama a one-term president?"
Old 11-07-2014, 08:25 AM   #11
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

The thing that drives me absolutely NUTS is when people complain about how the economy is NOW and blame Obama. And when you dare to remind them that the problems were created by Bush, EVERY SINGLE ONE will respond with "Stop blaming Bush! He's been out of office for 6 years!!!". SO THE FUCK WHAT?!!! My reply is: "Hitler died in 1945. Should we stop blaming him for WWII and the concentration camp deaths?"
Old 11-07-2014, 08:37 AM   #12
glatt

Obama hasn't done a lot for me personally that I can directly point to, but there is this:

Under Obamacare, insurance companies can only take 10% of the money they collect in premiums and use it for administration and profit. They must spend at least 90% of what they collect on actual patient healthcare. If they don't, they are required to give refunds to their customers for the difference. Each of the last three years under Obamacare, my insurance company has given me a partial refund of my insurance premium because they didn't meet that 90% requirement. It's never a lot of money, but I love it that Obama is keeping them honest.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 08:46 AM   #13
Spexxvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldonrs View Post
The thing that drives me absolutely NUTS is when people complain about how the economy is NOW and blame Obama...
The thing is, the economy is doing well. Unemployment is not as low as we'd like, and wages aren't as high as we'd like, but it's the repubican philosophy that's causing it. Corporations are maintaining huge cash reserves. They're not hiring because demand is not increasing. Demand is not increasing because wages are low.

Otherwise, the Stock market is up, GDP is up, exports are up, inflation is below 2%, what more do you want that the POTUS can be blamed for not providing?
Old 11-07-2014, 09:21 AM   #14
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
The thing is, the economy is doing well. Unemployment is not as low as we'd like, and wages aren't as high as we'd like, but it's the repubican philosophy that's causing it. Corporations are maintaining huge cash reserves. They're not hiring because demand is not increasing. Demand is not increasing because wages are low.

Otherwise, the Stock market is up, GDP is up, exports are up, inflation is below 2%, what more do you want that the POTUS can be blamed for not providing?
I know. But no matter how much proof you show them, they just ignore it and stick to their script. I had one twitter war yesterday with some knuckle-dragging she-ape because I posted how the GOP blocked the vote for equal pay for women in April. When I posted a link to the NYTimes from April 2014, she replied "LOL THAT article is from April! LOL THAT'S your proof?!! LOL. No matter how many times I pointed out it was FROM April because it HAPPENED in April, she just ignored it and kept to her script. It's like GOP stands for Gone Off Point.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:11 AM   #15
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
And when you dare to remind them that the problems were created by Bush
Why do people stick to their vast oversimplification every time? It would be much simpler if they agreed with *my* vast oversimplification.