The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 09-30-2002, 01:34 PM   #31
hermit22
sleep.

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
H, don't quote the *entire post* when the entire post is right above, thanks!
oh yeah...whoops.

Quote:
I am not arguing against realism, it is what we will always fall back on, and it is what's currently dominating international relations.

I merely believe that it is harmful to assume that realism is a good system.
Wouldn't those two statements contradict each other?
Old 09-30-2002, 01:53 PM   #32
Tobiasly
hot

I think everyone's partially right.. it's UT's board, but he has stated many times that his intent is to make it "our" board and not "his".

UT, how about creating a new user account.. "IOTD Admin", or whatever. You use that account solely for posting new IOTD threads and maybe some factual info. Then, if you want to add editorial content, you can do so with your own personal account.

That way it doesn't appear as though the Cellar itself is endorsing any particular view.
Tobiasly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 01:55 PM   #33
dave

Well, if he's gonna do that, then it should be IotD Admin. Get it right, mother fuckin' geek.

I like it just fine posting how it is, though. I see no problem with keeping just one account.
Old 09-30-2002, 02:01 PM   #34
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

That's a good idea... but a pain for me to log out and log back in alla time.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 02:10 PM   #35
Tobiasly
hot

Quote:
That's a good idea... but a pain for me to log out and log back in alla time.
That's fine UT, screw this political rag then.

I want my $15 back.
Tobiasly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 02:32 PM   #36
juju
no one of consequence

God dammit, people, quit changing things!! I need my stability.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 04:22 PM   #37
Nic Name
retired

Wouldn't that be ID10T Admin?
Nic Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 04:51 PM   #38
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally posted by juju
UT's opinions are not hurting anyone. Speak your own mind, or STFU. He's not a journalist, and he doesn't have to be impartial.
Toad, the stoic system administrator (ie the days of Barak), is always as good as his daily pictures. Undertoad, that curator of opinion with each picture ... well is that not what makes contraversal rags so interesting? Of course. Its good to see Undertoad has finally come out from under a rock (complete with name change) and join the fray.

It's not just a little pond in Norristown anymore. This is a wide world web now. Even little frogs must grow up.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 06:58 PM   #39
jaguar
whig

The reason i said something is becasue i thought this one corssed the line from an interesting image with political connotations to a political statement with an interesting image attached. Xugumad did a better job with my arguement. Nothing wrong iwth Ut weighing in, but using actual IoTD posts primarily as political soapboxes will turn people off, IoTD is usuall the first thign they see, sure, dont shut up, i'm just suggesting waht will happen. Since it is the first thing people see it will also more of a political bias amoungst new members.

Quote:
Wouldn't those two statements contradict each other?
Nope, i do the same thing. Nations are like people, but worse, they have *no* ethics, morality of qualms about anything. Of course niggly little things like ethics are going to be ignored if its in our economic or strategic interest. Doesn't mean its a good thing.

Quote:
Actually *more* people are impoverished and disenfranchised these days; it's a trick of increasing population overall.
Ratio. When these people get pissed off enough, thigns happen. Like the french revolution. Or the Russian one. Or the bombing of the WTC. Or the rise of Nazism after WW1. The difference between say WW2 and this is the enemy is far less defined. But that's offtopic. A mix of circumstances have created an extremely disadvantaged group of people who are getting really angry - and the US is the obvious target. Trying to bomb the crud out of them all is not going to help, its asymmetricial warfare.
Old 09-30-2002, 07:31 PM   #40
ndetroit
Master Locutor

If I wanted postings by factual robotic monkies, I would go to slashdot, or perhaps kuro5hin if I wanted postings by semi-factual robotic monkies..

But I don't. I like the way UT makes his comments. I don't want a moderator system, or a IoTD moderator account, or "another IoTD poster", or anything idiotic like that.

If you don't like what he has to say, then fuck you.
Disagree with him... Go to another board.... I don't care. Just quit bitching.

I rarely post here, but I've been reading what you all have to say every day for about 2 years now... I like the discussions. I like the VASTLY different viewpoints.. Heck, every 3 months or so, I wish UT would post IoTD's that blatently spur conversations about "Gun Control", since the ensuing flamewars are sooo entertaining. (Actually, gun control, and how to fly an airplane always seem to get everyone so riled up for some reason)

But I don't want to see the way the system works changed. Keep posting the way you do, UT. I'll keep lurking.

There are some damn intelligent ppl that post on this board. It's one of the highlights of my surfing day seeing what they have to say..

thanks.
ndetroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 07:43 PM   #41
juju
no one of consequence

I completely agree, ndetroit. I love this place just the way it is. :)
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 07:52 PM   #42
jaguar
whig

I dont want anything *changed*. That's my point :p
Old 09-30-2002, 09:05 PM   #43
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

So you guys are saying I can still be lazy AND still be an asshole?

I love you guys.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 08:49 PM   #44
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
So you guys are saying I can still be lazy AND still be an asshole?

I love you guys.
Be worried. It may be the asshole that we like.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 10:27 PM   #45
Torrere
a real smartass

Quote:
In the long run we really should have some sort of voting system for IotD.
May I firmly vote NAY on that idea? I like the Cellar as a small community where I recognize almost everyone who posts. Voting systems are only valid where you have awfully huge communities that suffer from 150 posts of rubbish to every insignificant thread. On the Cellar we have far fewer posters, and most posts are entertaining if not entirely relevent.

Finally, on the Cellar, everyone's opinion gets heard, even mine [if I post]. Those opinions are usually worth hearing. If they aren't, then hearing them get torn up by half a dozen people certainly is.

Quote:
Originally posted by ndetroit
(Actually, gun control, and how to fly an airplane always seem to get everyone so riled up for some reason)
Not directly. Those are simply topics that get MaggieL riled up. You're also forgetting anything relating to Israel and Palestinians as causes of Cellar posting sprees.
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote