The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 09-07-2012, 10:51 PM   #151
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
When you're done, try the US version!
Ooh! I didn't even know there was one. Are they on separate but equal footing in your mind, or is one better than the other?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:16 PM   #152
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I haven't seen the British one, unfortunately.

The US one rests on the acting abilities of the dad and daughters, who are excellent. Especially the oldest daughter, who can really make you feel the joys and pain of her character's life. The rest of the show is good, but I'm sort of waiting to get back to her story when it's following someone else.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:41 AM   #153
Ibby
erika

Having seen the first few series of the British Shameless, but not any of the US version -
from what I've heard, the value American Shameless totally rests on how much you appreciate William H. Macy. As a fan of his, and as a HUGE Coen brothers fan, I think I'd like it. But if you don't really dig William H. Macy, from what I've heard, you won't dig the American Shameless at all.
One of these days relatively soon I plan to catch up on the British version, and then start watching the American. I'll give my little bit of criticism that I can, when I do. But I can definitely say that I've LOVED what of the British version that I've watched.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:13 PM   #154
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
And now I've gone and done it. I've started watching Shameless.

Subtitles are a requirement, of course. But it's quite fascinating so far. Besides just being a good show with funny writing, it's a depiction of a world that just doesn't exist in the US. Our poorer classes don't look like that, they contend with different problems and different attitudes.

And now I've got 6+ seasons to take my time with! It's a mother lode of entertainment.
Thanks Clodfobble. You're absolutely on target with the warning for Americans to watch with the subtitles on. Twil and I are streaming it here at my place. The Roku does not support subtitles, but the PS3 does. We've watched a couple episodes on each and even after getting some help from the subtitles watching without is almost hopeless. I get the tone, and the volume, but I can't make out more than half of the dialog.

We gorged ourselves on the whole first season and the beginning of the second season just this weekend. Now, I've promised to wait until we're together again before I continue watching. It will not be an easy promise to keep.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:45 AM   #155
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Here's a really nice little four part drama to look out for. It's halfway through and I'm really enjoying it.

Good Cop:

DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #156
DanaC

Also: Accused. Each week a different story.

Here's the series trailer:

One of the early Shameless actors in one of them, and Sean Bean [Ed Stark] in another.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #157
DanaC

And finally, some comedy. Whites

Old 09-11-2012, 12:38 PM   #158
monster
I hear them call the tide

OMG I find it hysterical that you guys need subtitles
Old 09-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #159
Clodfobble

You have to admit, Shameless accents are a lot harder than Downton Abbey accents. I can understand the posh folks just fine.

For those who haven't seen the show--watch the intro to the clip below. I bet not one American on this board can understand more than 50% of what he's saying.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:26 PM   #160
Happy Monkey

Here's one who could. But I didn't quite catch what they all "know how to" do when the cops show up just before the title appears.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 09-11-2012, 05:34 PM   #161
DanaC

They know how to throw a party

Cant see the clip, but remember the line :P

I loved the first two series of Shameless, but once Fiona and Posh Lad left I dropped off it. I'd watch every so often but didnt keep up.

Last edited by DanaC; 09-11-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:43 PM   #162
Clodfobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
Here's one who could. But I didn't quite catch what they all "know how to" do when the cops show up just before the title appears.
You understood why they won't let Carl grow his hair out?
Old 09-11-2012, 06:47 PM   #163
Happy Monkey

On another listen, I didn't get:

Name of the neighborhood (probably because it's a proper name, so no context)
What Carl's hair standing on end makes him look like, and the second reason (something loves him?)
Debbie, between "total angel" and "she'll go miles"
|_______________| [pics]
Old 09-11-2012, 08:43 PM   #164
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Chatswood Estate

because it makes him look like Toyah, second, nits love him.

...total angel, you're to check your change but she'll go miles

And, absent from the end of that intro but present in the regular series after "know how to throw a party" is the shout "Scatter!" but it sounds like "Scaa-ah".

I get the gist, but details like Chatswood or Toyah do make a difference. One word that does appear in the subtitles but I don't have a ready translation for is "owt". I have substituted "anything" in my American mind.

Still, despite CLODFOBBLE'S MASSIVE, JUST MASSIVE SPOILER up there, I intend to (try to) continue to watch it.

As for me, *****SPOILER ALERT*****

I'm not kidding. highlight and be illuminated at your peril!

Well. You know Ian and Kash? How they have a satisfactory love life? Didn't feel good to learn that Ian actually has someone like Kash? I know I felt that way for him. He's a sympathetic character and I want the best for him. That he's gay isn't something I find distasteful. I also don't find it especially titillating, I'm just happy that he's got a love life in the face of a daunting social milieu. Yay Ian.

Now, remember when Frank was faced with seduction by Karen? I didn't like that pairing. I even said, no, he's not gonna do it. I clearly jinxed him because in the very next scene, they're humping away at about 7.5 on the richter scale. Oh, no, shit!

Somewhat later, Kash and Ian are talking and Kash chastises Ian saying "OI! Hands off the married man!"

Freeze frame!

I actually paused the playback when it hit me that these two sexual pairings are practically the same, a married adult man having sex with a middle-teenager. In both cases, all the parties involved are willing, enthusiastically so! But my reaction to each one was **very** different. I was happy for young Ian to be getting some lovin', physically and emotionally. I was disappointed, angered that Frank would be succumbing to his baser instincts by taking advantage of Karen's underage seductions. Where's the adult in the room?!

Now... wait a minute? They're the same thing, adult man, under age partner. One gay, one straight, but I don't think that was the rub. Why did I have such dramatically different reactions?

***** END SPOILER ALERT *****
Old 09-11-2012, 10:52 PM   #165
monster
I hear them call the tide

OK it's getting better

I totally understand the need for subtitles, it just makes me laugh.
in the 1980s there was a series called Auf weidersehen, Pet. Full of Geordies. I left my cosy Dormitary suburb near Manchester for a year and went off to live near there. Came back a year later -when the series started, with the accent. was the only one who could understand it! Once a week translation services were requested.....