The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 08-30-2017, 04:22 PM   #1
Flint
Snowflake

Here's another thing being broadcast:

There are a lot of "fight" videos going around, and worse. Violence, torture, death. But the descriptions of them always justify the violence.

Russian military strap a man to a pole and beat him with a rubber hose--but it's okay because he was a child molester. Actually he wasn't, he was a drug dealer, but people just go, "oh well, he deserved it anyway!"

Militarized African police torture a helpless victim, but again he's supposedly a "child molester" so okay, people believe that with no cited sources, and are "okay" with police torture. People are okay with militarized authority figures acting as judge, jury, and presumably executioner.

I guarantee you that there are member of the Cellar who would respond to what I'm saying by saying, "they're criminal, they deserve it!" What if they are simply political dissidents? What if the local sheriff's girlfriend left him, and he's torturing the guy he heard she's sleeping with?

My point is, these videos are normalizing violence, and glorifying government authority to act above legal norms.

So... the thing is. This is happening almost every day in America. Our cops have a "few bad apples" but the bad ones never get punished. People who protest an unjust system, get called terrorists. In the meantime, there are cameras EVERYWHERE, and there is overwhelming video evidence of an absolute epidemic of police brutality. And our leaders not only look the other way--they support the bad guys! Mind-numbing.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:04 PM   #2
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
I would apply this to the pictures mocking Mrs. Trump shoes. If you think you're convincing a Trump supporter that he is impeachable by critiquing her shoes in the context of an enormous natural disaster check yourself.
What? Who's thinking that?

Are you sure it isn't just laughing at someone walking into a disaster zone in stilletto heels?

I mean, Michelle Obama was criticized for wearing sleeveless dresses, and Hillary Clinton for wearing pantsuits. It's not just women, either - Al Gore was criticized for wearing earthtones, GW Bush for his flightsuit, and Cheney for his parka at Auschwitz.

I'd hope that stuff is confined to the Arts & Leisure sections on any actual news sites, but if any Trump supporter attributes any special meaning to the fact that Trump gets it too, they probably should check themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
Mind-numbing.
With you 100%.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote