The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 01-14-2004, 06:01 PM   #31
warch
lurkin old school

Reno 911.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 08:33 PM   #32
pirate
Burn anything in 3 minutes...Guaranteed!!!!! !

One reality show I really hate is Big Brother.....that is the most stupidist thing ever to hit TV and they are running out of idea's

Big Brother 4, what the hell is that?
pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 01:37 PM   #33
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
I watch more TV than I should. I like most of the shows on NBC, and I've been watching a lot of HBO and the Discovery channels since getting digital cable last summer. I've been watching less TV over the last 4 months though, and I'd like to keep going in that direction.

As far as reality shows, "The Apprentice" is interesting, and I watch "The Real World" and "The Osbournes" for their humor. But the only other reality show I've ever enjoyed is "Lost" (6 episodes on NBC just after 9/11). The rest of it is just absolute crap to me.
I love a good sitcom. I was raised on them (and other guilty pleasure shows from the 80s like Dynasty, Dallas, etc.). I loved "Titans" for the brief time that it was on...it was soooo campy, a la the nighttime shows that I just mentioned. I don't give a fuck that to some people it's mindless...hell sometimes I need that. My life is too damned serious as it is, so every once in a while, I could use something that will take my mind off of things.

I'm not the biggest fan of reality TV. Syc and I watched the first season of Fear Factor, but after that, it just became to gross and stupid. But now, The Apprentice and America's Next Top Model are my shows (yes, I DID say the model show...AND?!?).

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 10:40 AM   #34
Aries872
Recruit or Something

Re: What do you like better ~ 'reality' TV or 'actors' TV?

Quote:
Originally posted by sunshynegrrl85
Are you sick of all the reality TV shows out there yet, or are you lovin every minute of it? Or do you tend to prefer TV shows that are done the ol’ fashioned way ~ with pre-written stories, actors, directors, reoccurring characters, etc? On the subject of 'actors' TV mimicking 'reality' TV, has anyone seen the ads for "I Want to Marry Ryan Banks” or "Win a Date With Tad Hamilton"? They're basically the same story! Seems like the influence of reality TV and Britney's blunder marriage.*TV weddings are big lately too... **Luke and Laura, Chandler and Monica, Trista and Ryan, etc...
I hate reality tv. I wish they would make it the way it used to be. And all the shows I watch most are ending like SATC and Friends. YUCK.

Aries872
Aries872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 03:18 PM   #35
Armchair-Commander
Rapscallion

I don't see much reality in reality TV. Reality TV would be a TV show that follows a person or group of persons around without them knowing it while they go about their normal business. The closest example I know was a movie Called "The Truman Show"
Armchair-Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 08:44 PM   #36
breakingnews
Q_Q

I've never been much of a fun of "reality" TV shows. My theory is that just by having a process of selection alone negates the idea of "reality."

When The Real World and Road Trip were auditioning in Atlanta a few years ago, a bunch of us went there to check it out. In the car, however, I realized that MTV would never select me or most of my friends. We just don't fit the character of those shows - I feel like they tend to pick morons or emotionally over-dramatic people because that makes for the most interesting program. I'm mentally stable, ambitious, intelligent - and I, like most of my friends, have an answer for a good proportion of the problems I encounter in my life. Watching one episode of Road Rules (don't know what I was thinking), I could have single-handedly completed their entire challenge by myself and in less time than the six of seven of them did. But what aired over 60 minutes was much more dramatic and interesting than my life would ever be, even with shock-appeal editing.

So in that light, the competition shows like the Apprentice and Survivor I think are fairly unnatural. I had faith in Average Joe, but was completely let down by Melana's choice in the end. And some of those average joes were far from average anyway.

I do think American Idol is a pretty good show though, which is why it's been on for so long.
breakingnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 08:52 PM   #37
Sun_Sparkz
Has Body Temperature

Pais and Nikki Hiltons farmyard reality show hit our screens in Australia last night, how sad are these girls!?!?

They are making fun of them selves by using the most embarrasing form of media possible.

They give a once upstanding chain of hotels a very bad name.
Old 02-13-2004, 03:14 PM   #38
Artie Greene
Resident-in-Training

Everything in Moderation

Some of the responses here remind me of people who say, "Oh yea, my daughter is a vegetarian, but she eats chicken." A few peeps here say, "I HATE REALITY TV. but I love the apprentice, or big brother." Well, duh. Guess you don't hate reality tv then.
AND THAT'S OK. I'm just keeping ya all on yer toes.

I used to work reality TV. I am not going to tell you anything you can't find out by watching the closing credits yourselves. Nobody is making any bones about the fact that there are Directors, Story Editors and Story Supervisors, and you'll see who they are in the opening and closing credits.

Well what do you think that means? Most of what you see and hear on reality shows are events that are manufactured in Post Production. The shows you're watching consist of scenes that are pasted together with clips and voice overs culled from HOURS of footage over a 6 week shooting schedule. Very little of what actually happens happened in real time, and if you're really savvy, you can see this yourself on any reality show.

The actors (notice I say actors) are often asked to do re-takes of practically everything. They are spoon fed dialogue by directors, often results in flat, bogus and contrived scenes, but the average TV viewer isn't observant enough to notice. Indeed, reality tv fools 95% of the public.

With digital editing, skintones and physical imperfections are tweeked and manipulated just like all TV shows--you're no longer watching real people--like anything in print and/or visual media, they've been digitally enhanced. Some would argue that the end result of this is nothing HUMAN whatsoever. There are websites that will help you get onto a reality show if you send them pictures and your resume. What does that tell you?

The one interesting thing I notice is how BRILLIANT it is when real, scripted shows ripoff all of this reality shit.

Reno 9-1-1 and Arrested Development are 2 of the shrewdest shows i've seen in awhile. They are completely scripted, but they're shot and edited to mimic a reality tv show. I highly recommend tuning into both of these shows, and change the channel on Survivor, American Idol or Bachelor. They are not REAL at all.
Artie Greene is offline   Reply With Quote