The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 07-18-2006, 09:47 AM   #46
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Yeah, it's all so extremely complicated and interwoven, that we really need some kind of scorecard to see all the different players.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:25 PM   #47
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Well, it doesn't appear to be complicated for these kids that want to send a special message.

I'm going to drink, now.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:49 PM   #48
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

How many times do we have to say it?

NO BLOOD FOR OIL!!!!
Old 07-18-2006, 11:33 PM   #49
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothmoniker
How many times do we have to say it?

NO BLOOD FOR OIL!!!!
You can say it all you like but I'd love to know what role oil plays in this conflict.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:44 AM   #50
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Hezbollah is a legitimate branch of government in Lebanon and even holds seats in their parliament although it's militant/terrorist arm was originally funded and supported by Iran and by association, Syria.

Hezbollah is an Islamic fundamentalist group and this 'war' has everything to do with religion and very little to do with oil.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:52 AM   #51
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha
Hezbollah is a legitimate branch of government in Lebanon...
That's an odd usage. A political party is not a "branch of government", even if they have candidates elected. Sinn Féin may have candidates in office, but this does not make the IRA a "branch of government".

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 06:18 AM   #52
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

sm was being ironic.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:18 AM   #53
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
... although it's militant/terrorist arm was originally funded and supported by Iran and by association, Syria.
Still is.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:40 PM   #54
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

cross posted from favorite paranoid fantasy....

Heard on radio yesterday that the Administration feels that the impetus of the aggression by Hisbollah wrt to the captured Israeli soldiers was from *Iran* in an effort to distract attention from themselves during the upcoming G8 Summit.

Hmmm.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:52 AM   #55
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieL
That's an odd usage. A political party is not a "branch of government", even if they have candidates elected. Sinn Féin may have candidates in office, but this does not make the IRA a "branch of government".
I'd argue the 'usage' of the phrase as semantics. In Lebanese politics there are many different terms for different areas of the political forum which are not used in the US political forum. Suffice to say that Hezbollah is a legitimate political party in Lebanese politics although their terrorist arm is not sanctioned officially.

Spex, you're 100% correct. The idea I was trying to get across is that it was during the 10 year war thanks to the Iranians that Hezbollah even exists, although it'd just be the same animal by some other name under other circumstances I guess.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:46 AM   #56
MaggieL

Quote:
Suffice to say that Hezbollah is a legitimate political party in Lebanese politics although their terrorist arm is not sanctioned officially.
Then what would constitute an *illigitimate* political party? Foreign funding?

This "unsanctioned terrorist arm" nonsense is bullshit: a huge shell game. Publically take credit for acts of charity, but when it's time to launch a barrage of unguided rockets targeting civilians or wear a semtex and ball-bearings vest into a pizza parlor...oh, gee...that must have been somebody else; we're all politicians here.

Old 07-20-2006, 05:55 AM   #57
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It's so legitimate that the UN Security Council told them two years ago to pack up their guns and get out. They responded with a string of assassinations and continued arming.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:03 AM   #58
MaggieL

Quote:
I'd argue the 'usage' of the phrase as semantics.
"Semantics" isn't an argument. Semantics is the study of the meaning of words; if "semantics" is a reason to dismiss an argument then there's no point in arguing.

Old 07-20-2006, 10:13 AM   #59
Kitsune
still eats dirt

You know, I thought this wasn't going to escalate much beyond the skirmish that is going on right now and that cooler heads would prevail. Other countries in the area are holding firm and not getting directly involved and Israel doesn't seem too intent on involving anyone else at this time.

...and then Washington had to make it more interesting.

Quote:
The nonbinding legislation, similar to a resolution passed by the Senate on Tuesday, also states Syria and Iran should be held accountable for providing Hezbollah with money and missile technology used to attack Israel.

"I certainly sympathize with the Lebanese people and the Lebanese government," Republican Senator John McCain told CBS' "The Early Show" on Thursday. But, he said, if Hezbollah is "going to launch attacks from the Lebanese territory, then tragically the Lebanese government and people pay a price for that."
Old 07-20-2006, 02:50 PM   #60
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Good to see some people are happy about this war. (via Boing Boing)

Quote:
I too am soooo excited!! I get goose bumps, literally, when I watch what's going on in the M.E.!! And Watcherboy, you were so right when saying it was quite a day yesterday, in the world news, and I add in local news here in the Boston area!! Tunnel ceiling collapsed on a car and killed a woman of faith, and we had the most terrifying storms I have ever seen here!! But, yes, oh happy day, like in your screen name , it is most indeed a time to be happy and excited, right there with ya!!
Sadly, I've never gotten "the glory bumps" while reading any Cellar threads. (maybe this thread will do it for you?)