The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 12-20-2008, 12:52 PM   #1
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Free at Noon Concert Jan 2nd

Free at noon is hosting a concert at the World Cafe Jan 2nd.

This is my first chance to go to a free at noon concert since I'll be on vacation.

I've already:

1) RSVP'd for myself, Marci and Jeff.
2) used my %80 off coupon code (santa) at restaurant.com and bought gift certificates for lunch at World Cafe and dinner at Zhi-Wei-Guan Dim Sum

Unfortunately, if Jeff is scheduled for work, I may end up going alone. This would suck since it would be a great day for him.

If anyone else is interested, they were still taking reservations for the concert and the %80 off is good through tomorrow.

My only complaint is that restaurant.com appears to have a bug on their checkout page that makes the javascript 'activate coupon' button invalid. I have to use **ing Internet Explorer.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 08:08 PM   #2
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
The band cites Innocence Mission, Elliot Smith, and Bjork as some of their major influences.
The band cites Lancaster PA-based Innocence Mission, a band I saw 14 times in 1989, as their top major influence?

Intrigued
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 09:26 PM   #3
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
The band cites Lancaster PA-based Innocence Mission, a band I saw 14 times in 1989, as their top major influence?

Intrigued
Well if Jeff ends up working that day, I have an extra ticket. Two extra tickets, since I reserved for myself and a guest (max 2 per reservation) and I made a reservation for my wife in her name. If Jeff has to work, she has to pick him up from work.

I told her that nothing short of a blizzard is going to keep me from getting out of the house on my day off.

It looks to be a short concert, but it's free music and cheap food.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
Old 12-21-2008, 09:42 PM   #4
Flint
Snowflake

Innocence Mission

I love the album Glow. Which, Wikipedia tells me was produced by Dennis Herring, who also produced Key Lime Pie for Camper Van Beethoven.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 06:29 PM   #5
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Well, it looks like we're on for Jan 2nd. Is anyone interested in meeting at the concert or for dinner at Zhi-Wei-Guan Dim Sum ?
Old 12-24-2008, 06:40 PM   #6
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

What time do you think you'll be having dinner? If it's not too early, I might be able to meet you.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:03 AM   #7
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Another Free at noon Friday the 13th

Another free at noon is on Friday the 13th

http://xpn.org/wxpn-concerts-events-...r/free-at-noon

Marci, Jeff, and I are going again. I will be getting another coupon for gift certificates for lunch at World Cafe. It was too cold to hang around last time, so I still have my gift certificate for Zhi-Wei-Guan Dim Sum. We did stop by Chinatown and check it out and it looked interesting.

BTW, the %50 off coupon code for gift certificates is 'cupid'. At a guess, they might go to %70 off coupons on Tuesday, which will let me buy a $25 gift certificate for $3.

Lunch at World Cafe last time was great! I tried the 'eggplant fries', even though I don't like eggplant. The portions were large, and the food was good.

Last time there was metered street parking right in front of the building! The metered parking I had last time was before Philadelphia's "Let's double the meter rates and who needs to park in one spot for more than an hour" campaign. Actually, while I know that they have doubled the rates, but I'm not sure about whether they have lowered the maximum time.

On January 2nd, there was plenty of parking, but that was probably over winter vacation. Since this is at the fringe of Drexel and Penn, this Friday might be tougher. I don't think having to pay a garage $20 for 3 hours of parking makes sense. I'd love to take the train, but the cost for 3 round trip tickets from Marcus Hook is $30, not counting bus fare to Chinatown if we go there.

So I'm going to drive in and see what happens.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:02 AM   #8
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Well, this sucks

I woke up in pain this morning from an ear infection I've been fighting. I don't think I can drive into town and stand in line for 45 minutes for the concert. It's too bad, because I really like the song clips I found on Myspace.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:10 AM   #9
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Well crud, rich. Hope you feel better.

Tags
music