The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 08-17-2005, 12:13 PM   #1
breakingnews
Q_Q

helpful cooking site

Wow, I'm a huge tool bc I am thrilled I found this page. Had to share.

http://food.oregonstate.edu/faq/faq.html

It has a lot of answers to those "Why does" questions we have about foods and ingredients.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:40 PM   #2
wolf
lobber of scimitars

More so than a copy of Joy of Cooking?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 01:02 PM   #3
breakingnews
Q_Q

I associate reading the Joy of Cooking with being a middle-aged, overly domestic housewife. Which I am not.

The Internet, however, is a different case.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:20 PM   #4
Griff
still says videotape

Somebody needs to pitch the Joy of Cooking folks a seachable web site.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:02 AM   #5
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
More so than a copy of Joy of Cooking?
The new joy of cooking is an abomination. The old venerable J O'C was a wealth of information on the underlying principles of cooking.

I was given a copy of the new one and I flipped it open to double check instructions for something simple like a roux or making stock, I forget which and I find instead of explanations there is some LAME ASS SHIT like "today's world is so busy no one has time to cook, so it is much easier to open a package of..." I'm paraphrasing, but you get the idea. The book sucks like a pail of leeches.

It's like the pillsbury bake offs. No one bakes anymore, they open a variety of boxes...
Old 08-18-2005, 09:11 AM   #6
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

We got a Joy of Cooking and a Betty Crocker's Cookbook as wedding presents. This was in 1990, so I don't know what edition of JoC it was. Now I realize that JoC is supposed to be the culinary equivalent of the Bible, Talmud, Koran, Baghavad Gita, Upanishads, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, and Our Bodies Ourselves all rolled into one. But the fact is, I've never made anything out of it that came out halfway decent. And while I'm not a master chef I've cooked a lot and I can follow a recipe.

Betty Crocker, on the other hand, has yielded many fabulous successes. I'm ready to buy another one because it's literally falling apart.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 09:16 AM   #7
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot
No one bakes anymore, they open a variety of boxes...
Not so! Not only do I bake from scratch, I like to experiment with recipes from the 30's, 40's and 50's. Yesterday, I baked a Tomato Soup cake (depression hold-over my aunties used to make) and made the cream cheese frosting, too.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 09:59 AM   #8
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDallas
Betty Crocker, on the other hand, has yielded many fabulous successes. I'm ready to buy another one because it's literally falling apart.
I also highly recommend the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. We use that one all the time. We use the Joy of Cooking cookbook too, but much less often.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 10:18 AM   #9
melidasaur
Traded your soul for pogs.

I think I have the Betty Crocker Cookbook and it has yielded some good stuff in general. In my opinion, the must have cookbook for anyone is The Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook - from the publishers of Southern Living magazine. Not only does it provide a lot of helpful how to information, the stuff I've made from it is really good too.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:10 AM   #10
staceyv
Lecturer

Recipezaar- the best recipe website!

This site has ratings by members on most recipes, so you can just look for all the ones that have 5 stars and they really are great recipes!
Too many times, I've made recipes from other websites that turned out like crap or gave poor directions. Now I stick to Recipezaar and Allrecipes,
Which also has ratings and very cool searching functions.
staceyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 11:37 AM   #11
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
Not so! Not only do I bake from scratch, I like to experiment with recipes from the 30's, 40's and 50's. Yesterday, I baked a Tomato Soup cake (depression hold-over my aunties used to make) and made the cream cheese frosting, too.
Sorry Bri, I was in a hurry when I typed that last part. I bake all the time too. What I should have typed was that from Pillsbury's perspective no one bakes anymore. I heard a program on the radio about how the bake off has changed beyond recognition.

The opening of boxes has as much to do with pillsbury's other, prebaked products as anything.

Despite me and you and 8 other people we know who also bake, I think a trip to the local mega mart grocery store and a stroll down the cookie/bread aisle will tell you who is baking in this country today.

Me, You, eight other people we know, and Nabisco et al.

maybe someone who is at work, and I can't figure out how it happens, but is able to surf while at work can look up the story on the demise of the Pillsbury bake off.

If I can, I'll look around later.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:18 PM   #12
Iggy
Back and ready to tart up the place

I cook! I make all of my meaty goodness from scratch... like meatloaf (no seasoning packets for me) and fried chicken and porkchops.... you get the idea. I also bake cakes and muffins and the like from scratch, although in a pinch a box will do okay.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:50 PM   #13
seakdivers
Icy Queen

Ooooh Brianna - what's the tomato soup cake?

Now that we've re-built our house and I have a new kitchen, I am soooo into cooking (and my waistline is proof!).

The thing that drives me crazy is that my husband actually prefers boxed/ canned dinners to home made stuff. I'm serious - he loves the Betty Crocker boxed "add water & milk" mashed potatoes.

I swear I can hear my beautiful copper Kitchen-Aid mixer screaming at the horror of me "fluffing" the "potatoes" with a fork!
seakdivers is offline   Reply With Quote