The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 05-14-2004, 08:54 AM   #1
Pete
Resident President

Can't .. Stand .. Dial-up.. any .. long .. er

OK - Despite Griff's comment about not needing cable or dish we are finally losing our patience with dial-up internet. Grifftopia doesn't have cable, so our only choice for broadband is satellite.

I did some research yesterday and found that the prices are all in a similar ballpark. I was wondering if any of you had any experience with this.

I basically found three companies:
EarthLink - The most expensive. I've heard that their cable service is really good but I don't know anything about their dishes.

Starband - Could be the cheapest in the long run if I go for a long term contract. (3 years+)

DirecWay - Biggest name out there. Associated with DirecTV. Best short term price. But they don't include any web space (I've heard free web space is a pain) and the Starband dealer told be the dishes are chintzy.

For future growth: we'll probably network in the kids in few years (I think they can all handle this). I'd like to have the option of telecommuting if the opportunity comes up. I've heard VPN doesn't work well with dishes but I did see some software available to make it work better ???
AND - Mr. "I don't watch TV" is likely to change his tune during the next World Cup summer. DirecWay can use the same dish for internet and DirecTV. Starband requires two dishes (hate to clutter up Grifftopia). I don't know about EarthLink.

OK - Time to inundate me with opinions, knowledge, experience ...

GO
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 09:02 AM   #2
glatt

You don't mention DSL at all. Is it not an option for you in Grifftopia? I know it's not an option for many.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 09:05 AM   #3
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The reason satellite is never preferred is latency. For every link you click, that signal has to get into outer space and back at the minimum. It takes a long time for it to travel that far and so, in theory, while web pages may snap faster and certainly downloads would be faster, it will still be a worse internet experience than cable or, if even possible, DSL. You couldn't play highly interactive games at all over a satellite connection and something like telnet would be horrible.

Even the slowest DSL would be a better choice if that's offered. (It depends how many miles you are from the local telephone company's switch.) Try going to Earthlink and putting in your local phone number and they might tell you whether they can serve you and how fast the connection might be.

The last, and more expensive option is ISDN. Compared to dialup, 128K ISDN would be a dream to have. You'd still have to put off downloads for overnight, but the browsing experience would be happy.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 09:11 AM   #4
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

<--a very satisfied EarthLink DSL user, formerly a very satisfied EarthLink dial-up user
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 09:13 AM   #5
elSicomoro

Oh, and if you want me to come up and kick Griff's ass, just let me know.
Old 05-14-2004, 09:22 AM   #6
Pete
Resident President

I did forget to say that DSL is not an option.
Old 05-14-2004, 09:33 AM   #7
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

ISDN is something you order through the phone company, and then you can use it to connect to any ISP that supports it. Almost every ISP that offers dial-up also offers ISDN, because the same equipment is used to deliver both. Businesses use it a lot so it is well-supported. The problem is that it's costly.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 02:53 PM   #8
mbpark
Lecturer

Earthlink DSL

Heya,

Earthlink DSL = good. But if you're in the sticks, the local cable company may be a better alternative.

Satellite = good for web pages and streaming media IMHO, but horrible for games.

Mitch
mbpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 03:58 PM   #9
russotto
Professor

There's also IDSL, usually cheaper than ISDN. Offered by many of the major companies but they don't always talk about it.

(IDSL -- you're always hooked to one provider, which provides you a 128kbps or 144kbps connection to their network, after which it's packet data. ISDN -- like digital dialup. ISDN usually has per-KB charges, which kill you)

And fixed wireless, which works pretty well assuming a clear line of sight. And a provider thereof.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 05:27 PM   #10
blue
Operations Operative

I still have dial up and probably will for at least the next year or so. No cable in my neck of the woods.

Our telco JUST came out with DSL, I am about 50 ft from their POP, (we have a grocery store, chiropractor, auto body in town total for business, not even a fucking tavern) $70 a month...needless to say it ain't gonna happen.

Also I'm a gadget freek and have been in IT for 15 years, but I've learned to live with 56K. Helps when you can suck the life outta the internet at work through a gaggle of T1's. But at home I just deal with it, go get a coffie or beer if there's a wait, go tear one off with the wife while I'm downloading a file....it's no big thing really so long as it's $9.95 v. $70.

But not having broadband does piss me off that I can't host my own sites or install a webcam to check on my naughty dogs & kitties at work (they're not that bad, I just miss them).
Old 05-14-2004, 08:28 PM   #11
Pete
Resident President

Well even we have a tavern. Nothin else .. but you can get yer can o Kers Light here.

I don' know what to think. We've had a particularly bad dialup week here. Thunderstorms making for a lot of disconnects. Pages that load so slow they give up. Downloads that take about an hour per Mb. But satellite is $70 also .. on top of the initial dish purchase.

I guess we just need to sit on it a bit - or just be impulsive and go for it!

BTW - Griff says he'd be willing to meet Syc in Mauch Chuch .. Mauk Chuk, Muck Chuck .. er .. Jim Thorpe fer that ass whuppin'
Old 05-14-2004, 08:57 PM   #12
elSicomoro

What, he doesn't want it in front of the tavern?
Old 05-14-2004, 10:49 PM   #13
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Hey, go the extra few miles and have it at my house. I have a big backyard and few neighbors (that care). Hazleton is close enough to not matter.

Or drop in for a beer or soft drink. I enjoy company.

Brian
Old 05-14-2004, 10:56 PM   #14
elSicomoro

Thumbs up

I'm game.