The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 09-02-2007, 11:25 AM   #16
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshnesschronic View Post
College is the best time of your life, don't base it off numbers. It's the feel.
This from the guy home alone with the haunted basement and dirty laundry on a holiday weekend?

The course is the most important thing -there are likely to be several places with teaching that will suit you, then you pick between those based on the lesser factors. You can go to the biggest party school of all, but if you're failing miserably because the course is not right for you, you won't be having any fun. Oh and even if you have a shitload of fun, college is just the best time of your life SO FAR. If you believe it's all downhill from there, you might as well pack it in and get a McJob.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:01 PM   #17
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Just look the old man straight in the eye and say, "College? I'm a fucking Rock Star."
Old 09-02-2007, 05:50 PM   #18
Ibby
erika

I've tried that one already. Seriously.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:01 PM   #19
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

OK, that explains, "My dad pretty much shoved a copy of US News's list of top colleges down my throat this weekend,...".
Old 09-03-2007, 02:58 AM   #20
breakingnews
Q_Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram View Post
But no southern colleges. Not even Austin. I can't live in the south, I just can't do it.
Don't rule out the South so quick, dude. Cities like Austin and Atlanta are really progressive places these days. In Atlanta I found the people friendlier and the culture extremely laid back, which sounds like it might be your thing. And if you wanna get into art or music, you may find these two cities in particular very accommodating.

And a note on majoring in journalism .... it's not necessary to "study" journalism. Take the intro classes and then join the newspaper or the radio station - you'll learn more than you need to know. College media is often more professional than you'd imagine.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:30 AM   #21
Ibby
erika

My mom is a journalism major and a psych minor, and she somewhat recommends doing a journalism major. She also kinda wants me to go to like, law school... thats pretty out too.

And I just know I could never live in the south. Going down that way to visit family is excruciating enough. Austin would probably be a cool city, but as soon as you get outside Austin... you're back in hicksville. I can't stand the south - sorry, southern folk.
You're allowed to hate on the south if you're a southern boy, anyway.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:40 AM   #22
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

as soon as you get outside Austin... you're back in hicksville.

There goes the rust belt: NJ DE PA OH MI IN IL WI and certain parts of NY are hick incorporated outside of the suburban areas. NASCAR has advanced as far north as NH.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 09:42 AM   #23
Flint
Snowflake

Austin and surrounding areas is a very cool place.

I just took my vacation on Canyon Lake, went to Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels, and visited historic Gruene.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 10:35 AM   #24
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram
Austin would probably be a cool city, but as soon as you get outside Austin... you're back in hicksville.
Well who needs to ever leave Austin? I mean, as soon as you get outside your city you're in the jungle, right?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:20 PM   #25
Nivek
It's a fiendishly complex anagram of my name, Kevin.

You seem to be about my age (I'm a junior in high school). And I live in South Carolina...what you got against us southerners? Sure we've got a few senile old racists who put up their dukes at the sound of the word "Iraqi" but other than that I'd like to think we're kinda nice. Kinda. I'd like to think.

I'm actually thinking University of South Carolina for several reasons, and here are a few: 1) I want to be a pilot, so I figure I'll take some aeronautical engineering, physics, math, and communication...all of which are available with at USC with a relatively good reputation (Clemson's engineering program is a little better but neither are spectacular). 2) I'm very familiar with the campus because my older sister attended and graduated (Cum Laude with honors, in fact), so we made several trips to visit/move her stuff/family events/etc. 3) It's an hour and a half away, so the 'rents won't be all sad and I can make trips home without much difficulty. 4) I'm familiar with the Southern culture and crap; I won't be too much of an outcast, plus I'll get in-state tuition, more scholarship opportunities, etc.

I'm not real sure why I just spilled my life's goals and plans out on a thread that's not even mine, but I did. Good luck on finding the right place.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:15 PM   #26
9th Engineer
Bioengineer and aspiring lawer

Tolerant guy, isn't he?
Old 09-03-2007, 08:42 PM   #27
breakingnews
Q_Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram View Post
My mom is a journalism major and a psych minor, and she somewhat recommends doing a journalism major. She also kinda wants me to go to like, law school... thats pretty out too.
Eh, you got years ahead of you. Pick something you like and show your parents a well-laid out plan - they'll get off your case if you produce some output.

Quote:
And I just know I could never live in the south. Going down that way to visit family is excruciating enough. Austin would probably be a cool city, but as soon as you get outside Austin... you're back in hicksville. I can't stand the south - sorry, southern folk.
You're allowed to hate on the south if you're a southern boy, anyway.
Ditto UT - like 90% of the northeast is just as whitewashed - if not worse - than below the mason-dixon line. I felt just as much out of place driving through parts of NJ as I did taking road trips to Mississippi and Alabama.

Last edited by breakingnews; 09-03-2007 at 08:49 PM.
breakingnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 11:33 PM   #28
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

You could cope culturally with about anything in California, then.
Urbane Guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:00 AM   #29
Cloud

Quote:
As soon as you get outside Austin . . . it's hicksville.
That's pretty much true outside all major metro areas. Even in California.

Learn to appreciate a variety of people. That's one of the things college is about.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:08 AM   #30
Ibby
erika

I do appreciate a variety of people. Don't get my wrong... for all my bluster, I love the south. The people are nice, generally, and boy do southerners know how to eat... but I just can't stand them, politically. And aiya, if I can't talk politics, I just can't live there.