The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 01-17-2007, 09:15 AM   #1
Griff
still says videotape

Ron Paul announces

HOUSTON - Ron Paul, the iconoclastic nine-term congressman from southeast Texas, took the first step Thursday toward launching a second presidential bid in 2008, this time as a Republican.

A guy might consider registering Republican for an actual anti-war candidate who voted against the war.

The vote against the defense appropriations bill, he said, was because of his opposition to the war in Iraq, which he said was "not necessary for our actual security."
Old 01-18-2007, 08:54 AM   #2
Pete
Resident President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
A guy might consider registering Republican for an actual anti-war candidate who voted against the war.
Hell, Griff. For a real anti-war candidate I might even consider dropping my born and bred democratic party.
I need a candidate I can get excited about. Is he it? Or will he come with some of that right wing, moral majority baggage?
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:10 AM   #3
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

http://www.vote-smart.org/issue_rati...an_id=BC031929
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:55 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Jeez, he looks pretty good , from UT's link.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:23 AM   #5
Griff
still says videotape

He's the kind of guy I'd like to see wield a line item veto. He doesn't stand a chance though, since he has often said what he meant.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:14 AM   #6
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

Yeah really a guy who says what he thinks (is honest) has no chance - that sucks!
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 08:25 AM   #7
Griff
still says videotape

If he could energize the libertarians in the GOP and get the national party would throw them a bone it will have been worth the run. The neo-cons are killing the grassroots of the party so it might be possible to jettison them.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:41 PM   #8
deadbeater
Sir Post-A-Lot

The only chance he got is to go total Bullworth style.
deadbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 01:18 PM   #9
Uncas
Person Who Has Posted

This is my first post on this site, so I hope I'm following the rules. Ron Paul has been my only hero in both houses of Congress for years. His example prompted me to move back to the Republican Party after a decade in the Libertarian Party. He said to me that it is easier to move the Republican Party to the right than to make the Libertarian Party viable (i.e., a winner). I agreed, so here I am. Ironically, I'm more angry with the Republican leadership and Bush than ever before. Seems they were trying to beat the Democrats at their own game, increasing both spending and the burden of government. They deserved to lose this past election. I don't think Ron Paul has a chance of winning, but I'll vote for him given the chance--and with the enthusiasm I had way back in 1964.
Uncas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 02:26 PM   #10
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

When I was a hardass Libertarian, it was a remarkable education about politics to look at ten of Mr Paul's votes and find that I disagreed with four of them.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:23 PM   #11
Uncas
Person Who Has Posted

Undertoad,

Will you describe those 4? I might agree with you on some.
Uncas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 05:41 PM   #12
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Can't remember, it was some years ago. I know one of the questions was abortion related, probably on partial-birth abortion. (Paul's against abortion in all forms)
Old 03-16-2007, 08:01 AM   #13
Griff
still says videotape

I guess if you're gonna run you have to crank out a book. Lew Rockwell wrote the foreward.

Ron Paul has always believed that foreign and domestic policy should be conducted according to the same principles. Government should be restrained from intervening at home or abroad because its actions fail to achieve their stated aims, create more harm than good, shrink the liberty of the people, and violate rights.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:53 AM   #14
Griff
still says videotape

Dr. Paul got some nice play on Bill Mahr(sp?) the other night. Bill was being a smart ass but never chinked his armor. Do they always wait for the guy to leave before they ask the DNC talking point questions?
Old 04-06-2007, 02:56 PM   #15
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Ron Paul is probably my favorite guy for the Republican party followed by Hagel.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote