The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 04-30-2020, 11:36 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

May 1st, 2020 : Big vs Little

Quote:
Praying mantises are predatory insects that use their powerful raptorial (prey catching) front legs to snatch and hold other small animals. While the smaller species predominantly feed on insects and other invertebrates, the very large species will sometimes capture small vertebrates such as frogs and lizards.
The name ‘praying’ originates from the pose they hold their front legs in – as if they were praying. This name is sometimes confused with the fact that they capture prey and are erroneously referred to as ‘preying’ mantises.
Here she is munching a cockroach.
It must be tasty because it’s half gone and she hasn’t even chosen the wine to pair with it.

Quote:
Praying mantises are egg-laying insects and lay their eggs within a protective case called an ootheca. Each ootheca contains a number of eggs, up to 200 with some species. Mantis eggs can take anywhere from 40 days to around five months to hatch. The tiny hatchlings emerge as worm-like larvae and almost immediately moult their exoskelton to become tiny functional mantis nymphs. These nymphs are tiny replicas of the adults, but lack wings. They are predatory and within a day of hatching are looking for their first meal. They grow by shedding their exoskeleton many times, ultimately maturing into the adult form. Only adult mantises have wings, but not all species are able to fly. Generally the males are the best flyers, using that ability to locate females in order to mate.

There's an ongoing debate whether the male of any species is controlled by the big head or the little head.
Here we see the female has already eaten the male’s big head and front legs but the little head will
continue mating for up to 12 hours.
That settles that.

link
Old 05-01-2020, 07:37 AM   #2
HitTheLake
Soylent Greenhorn

March 1st? You had me wondering for a moment... We don't want to redo that month.
HitTheLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 08:08 AM   #3
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitTheLake View Post
March 1st? You had me wondering for a moment... We don't want to redo that month.
Fixed it.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 11:13 AM   #4
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

The link above leads to one of the best websites I've ever visited.
The sections under "Resources" are perfect for our current SIP.
I don't imagine they ship to UK or US, but the "Breeding Room" is amazing.
My granddaughter ordinarily dislikes insects but makes exceptions for mantises and walking sticks. We learned not to keep them together.
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 01:29 PM   #5
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I think of this when I see/hear 'praying mantis':

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote