The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 07-20-2005, 10:40 AM   #1
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

On the Road Again....

I have been a bad cellarite and I have not been keeping you all up dated on the situation with the 17 year old, but the shortest version possible is that he's runaway twice now, I had him declared a runaway once now, and if he doesn't go to Louisiana to say with the ex then he will be declared a ward of the state and placed in foster care.

SO!

Since the husband's mediation is in Atlanta Friday

AND

Since the ex is being an asshole and doesn't want to meet me in Atlanta to exchange the 17 year old for the 12 year old who is with ex on vacation (Atlanta is halfway between us, 9 hours each)

I will be on the road from NC thru SC to Atlanta, (staying in Atlanta Thurs night) hanging out in Dallas, GA for the morning while the husband is in mediation, then departing for Shreveport, LA via alabama and mississippi on good old I-20. Staying the night in Shreveport, then making the exchange and then back to Atlanta for Saturday night, then home Sunday.

Kill me now.

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 12:14 PM   #2
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxCougar

Kill me now.
We don't need to. The heat and humidity of summer in the deep south should do the job.

Er... Are you and your ex often given to these exchanges of hostages?
Old 07-20-2005, 03:39 PM   #3
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

No, he has reached new heights of assness. He was originally going to bring the 12 year old back to me, then the 17 year old lost his damn mind, and then the ex was going to meet me in Atlanta and swap "hostages". Then he decided to show his ass and said, I'm not going anywhere, if you want me to take him, you get him here and I'll return the 12 year old when it's "financially convenient". mhm.

Well, in the interests of my 12 year old, who didn't want to go anyway, and HATES being there, and since the husband was going to Atlanta anyway, we decided to save the 12 year old and dump the 17 year old out of the moving vehicle.

*sigh*

The 12 year old will NEVER go back there...ever.... he's old enough now he can make that decision, and I'll back him 100%. (The 12 year old is the Aspie, and the ex just refuses to acknowledge he's special needs and tends to punish for things the 12 year old can't help.)

So yeah, long old drawn out drama....bottom line is... I'll do my best to make sure the 12 year old doesn't end up like the 17 year old.

~Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 07-20-2005, 04:11 PM   #4
marichiko

Sounds pretty dreadful, Onyx. By time they're 17, about all you can do with them is the "tough love" thing. Call the cops on them if they rip off your car or money; make them find another place to live if they're not going to school/work and then pray.

You are right. At 12, there is still hope, especially if you can keep them away from bad influences of which your ex sounds to be one. Aspie = Aspger's? My poor dear! You DO have your hands full!

How come the ex gets to have HIS financial convenience at YOUR expense? That drive doesn't sound like an inexpensive one.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:08 PM   #5
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

$123.47 for the rental for 3 days (compact car...go me..)
$45 @ x 2nights hotels (plus possible hotel in atlanta on the way back) =$90

+gas, food, and taking 2 days off work.... *sigh*

He gets to have HIS financial convenience over my expense because he has my 12 year old (hostage was the appropriate phrase) and he doesn't have to take the 17 year old. He is not the 17 year old's natural father (the sperm donor is in prison - see the seriousness thread), but he is the father he's had since age 7. And I'd rather see him at the ex's than in foster care, so I will bite the financials and take him.

It's the last thing I can do for him.

~Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 07-20-2005, 08:38 PM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

See, the Cellar is family. The prodigals always report back when there's trouble.

You didn't mention the hostage taker is a lifer.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:28 PM   #7
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I still say that, even though the guy is essentially voluntarily participating as the 12 year old's father, he could be less of a dick.

Good luck, be careful, try to find something to enjoy on the way. Do you have a digital camera? Take pictures of cool things on the way and show them to us!
Old 07-20-2005, 11:58 PM   #8
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxCougar
$123.47 for the rental for 3 days (compact car...go me..)
Be careful with rental cars these days. Declare up front which states you will be driving in. Some rentals have tracking devices. They can tell where you have been. If you enter a state not on the contract, there may be penalty charges.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 02:36 AM   #9
melidasaur
Traded your soul for pogs.

Good luck, OC... it's situations like this that make me just go into ultra-lawyer mode and want to rip wrong doers, like this ass, a new one and then some.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:19 AM   #10
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Thanks!

And to clarify, the hostage taker is my ex that is NOT the ex that is in prison ever, but he is retiring from the military in 2 years. The hostage taker currently has the 12 year old and we will be swapping the 12 year old for the 17 year old... the 17 year old will be there until he is done with school or until 18. The 12 year old will be staying with me. And not going back.

There is still some concern on my part because the hostage taker is the blood parent and physical custody haver of my 8 year old daughter. I have to be careful because if I don't, I will piss off the ex and then seeing my daughter becomes tenfold more difficult and twice to four times as expensive. And I don't wanna hafta getta lawyer again. The one we got for current husband is expensive enough. $595 an hour. I'm in the wrong business.....

~Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 07-21-2005, 08:22 AM   #11
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
Be careful with rental cars these days. Declare up front which states you will be driving in. Some rentals have tracking devices. They can tell where you have been. If you enter a state not on the contract, there may be penalty charges.
Yeah, I generally use Enterprise, but I cant go anywhere west of GA with them, because if I do, every mile after 450 is .20 each. Fuck that.

So this time I went with Avis, who say mileage is unlimited. I will ensure at the counter that this whole trip is kosher tho. Thanks for the reminder, Tee.

~Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 07-21-2005, 10:21 AM   #12
wolf
lobber of scimitars

So, why can't you get Piglet too? Two for one trade would seem more than reasonable, especially if he's getting the one that gets to escape legally in 1 year or less.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 07:00 AM   #13
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

There is no way except by law and expensive legal teams that I would be able to wrest that child from her father. Not going to happen.

On a side note, it's a bitch trying to read the cellar from a cell phone.

Yes, we're back, and we went thru Tennessee on the way back to visit husbands mom, who just moved there from Michigan.

1150 miles each way.

My back hurts.

~Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 07-25-2005, 12:17 PM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

How'd it go in Georgia?
Old 07-26-2005, 07:19 AM   #15
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

oh yeah.

Even tho he nets 1100 a month, he has to pay $457 per month + $100 to the attorney for 10 months to pay him off, plus $50 per month for 10 months, representing back support from January with "some credit" for all the money he paid her without having to.

That's $607 per month. Out of $1100 a month. And he's supposed to be grateful.

~Franklin D. Roosevelt