The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 12-12-2004, 06:19 PM   #1
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Smile "Holiday Spirit"

This thread is for you to tell us how someone made your holiday better. And I'm not talking Wal-Mart.

Me first!

I have a co-worker named Mike who is considered by most in the office to be the King Geek. Not that he's more knowledgable or techno proficient than the rest of us, we do internet tech support over the phone, so we're all pretty bright that way, but no one really talks to him. He's tall, lanky, has a minor halitosis problem, and wears cowboy boots. He is, by all accounts, a social misfit.

He was living with the lady that married me and my husband, but she did him much wrong, and he's back to living with his parents in a town about 45 minutes from work. We talk at work over IM and as he walks by my desk. He's 28, never been married, and has some sub/dom kinks. He's looking for a girlfriend in NC with similar kinks. I'm trying to give him common sense suggestions, but the bottom line is that he's in small town southern bible belt country and finding a girl with sub/dom kinks is going to be a stretch.

Because I'm one of the few that actually talk to him, a rumor has been started that we're sleeping together. I find this funny. If people had the slightest clue how completely in love I am with my husband, the thought of me sleeping with anyone else would be as ludicrous to them as it is me. I told Mike we were sleeping together and asked if I was good. He said I was the best he ever had and he's jealous of my husband. It became a big, not-so-inside joke between us. I told my husband about it and he laughed too. So everyone involved knows that we're supposedly having sex now. Mike and I are close enough that we can joke like that, but yet not close enough that I have his phone number or anything.

Anyway, the office is putting together the Secret Santa thing, and Mike and I were discussing the limit set, and I mentioned how things are so tight this year that I'm worried about getting the kids gifts this year, let alone Secret Santa gifts.

He gave me a Christmas Card as he walked past my desk on the way out. Inside was an envolope that read, "For the kids, from Santa." I opened it, and he had tucked $60 in! It was completely unexpected, and of course, undeserved, and that made it all the more sweet and generous.

I made a card and put it on his desk, and the guy that sits next to him told me tonight was his last day for two weeks...he's on vacation til after Christmas....

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 07:02 PM   #2
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

When we can afford it we like to find some body to be a secret santa to,
just leave $50-$100 in an un marked envelope in their mail box .
Its the time of the year to try and help out the less fortunate
Old 12-12-2004, 08:18 PM   #3
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

that is a wonderful thing to do.

I don't have much extra cash this year...but I make up bags of smell good toiletries (bath and body works kinda stuff) and donate it to the women's shelter....i figure that if they make me feel good...they'll make a woman in a much more difficult situation feel pretty good too.

And it's a nice feeling to drop them off after dark, and drive away, knowing you did good, and only YOU know it.

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 01:38 PM   #4
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Dagney...not to be a party-pooper or anything, but in this day and age it might be better to drop off said gifts in person with a receptionist rather than leave a bag of stuff at the door...someone might think it was a bomb.

Ya never know anymore.

Brian
Old 12-13-2004, 04:39 PM   #5
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Yeah, what's up with that?? I mean, I'm not stupid, I understand terrorists don't take holidays except Ramadan off... but geez...

~Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 12-13-2004, 04:55 PM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Bah Humbug, don't give nobody nothin' noway nohow.
Old 12-13-2004, 04:57 PM   #7
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

oh shhh you!

~Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 12-13-2004, 05:12 PM   #8
lookout123
changed his status to single

when i was 8 or 9 and my sister would have been 1 or 2, my family had hit some hard times (i didn't know how hard until much later) the factories in my home town had laid off just about everyone so there were no jobs to be had. my dad was working on a farm in exchange for meat and dairy products - no cash other than the limited unemployment $ he got. my mom was still recovering from her 2nd heart attack and couldn't do much. as christmas time rolled around and dad is trying to keep the heat on there isn't any $ for presents, so mom and dad sat us down and told us there wouldn't be much under the tree this year.

dad drove my mom to the dr's office one morning and took me next door for a doughnut while we waited. when we walked outside dad ran over to the car because he thought someone had broken the window out, but he was wrong. someone had filled the entire back of the station wagon with gifts for the whole family, no card, no explanation. when mom came out, she of course cried and carried on. when we got to the house, mom and dad decided that because these were all gifts from someone elses charity that we should each unwrap one present, then rewrap it and take it to another family that we knew who was also in bad shape. so we did.

a couple nights later we were sitting at home when there was a knock on the door. a family that we knew a little bit from church was there. they came in with what looked like a gigantic candle. they explained that every Christmas their family picked another family that they knew could use some help and for the next year they all put their change into this giant bank and then gave it to their chosen family the week before Christmas. they had picked our family before dad lost his job, while mom was in the hospital from one of her heart attacks. i don't know how much money was in there, but i found out years later that it was just enough to get us caught up on the gas & electric bill. i also know that is the only night i ever saw my father with tears in his eyes. my dad is a bit of an old school hardass who was taught to never show emotion so i'll never know whether those tears were from joy, embarrassment, thankfulness, or just plain old allergies, but i think they were caused by the kindness of others.

Last edited by lookout123; 12-13-2004 at 05:15 PM.
lookout123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 05:15 PM   #9
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

What wonderful stories!!

~Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 12-15-2004, 08:46 AM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Christmas is an excuse people use to be able to do things they would like to do but are afraid to normally.
Afraid of being suspected of their motives.
Afraid of being thought weak or stupid.
Afraid of being taken advantage of and made to look foolish.
Actually these fears are not unfounded. Random acts of kindness attract light .....and sometimes heat.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:40 PM   #11
cjjulie
Colonist Extraordinaire

A friend of ours has two draft horses. They are beautiful animals, massive, about 2000 lbs each. He came by the other day and asked us if we wanted to go for a ride in the horse drawn carriage! He put on the christmas harnesses with the jingle bells! AND, AND they had made hot cocoa to drink on the way . He let our daughter who is 10 and takes riding lessons and is CRAZY about horses sit up on the bench where he stears the horses!!!! (not familiar with the actual terms) People actually stop their cars, to wish us happy holidays . But the best part is the smile on their faces. You can tell it just makes thier day and puts them in what should be the spirit of the season. Genuine happines.
cjjulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 02:41 PM   #12
cjjulie
Colonist Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Christmas is an excuse people use to be able to do things they would like to do but are afraid to normally.
Afraid of being suspected of their motives.
Afraid of being thought weak or stupid.
Afraid of being taken advantage of and made to look foolish.
Actually these fears are not unfounded. Random acts of kindness attract light .....and sometimes heat.
Well that was a happy thought :p
cjjulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 05:44 PM   #13
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

decorated
Attached Images

lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 06:06 PM   #14
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

so, today, i made that wreath, then the kids and I made toll house cookies while listening to free online christmas radio, (other choices)while jinx put the lights on the tree. now we're decorating the tree. kids amplify your christmas spirit.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 07:34 PM   #15
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianR
Dagney...not to be a party-pooper or anything, but in this day and age it might be better to drop off said gifts in person with a receptionist rather than leave a bag of stuff at the door...someone might think it was a bomb.

Ya never know anymore.

Brian
Well, considering said place has a well marked 'drop off' spot, I think I'm just fine.

But thanks for your concern.

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote