The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 03-21-2004, 12:46 PM   #31
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Another example of why Twain (Clements) was praised for his humor.
Old 03-21-2004, 03:50 PM   #32
Slartibartfast
|-0-| <-0-> |-0-|

Quote:
Originally posted by lumberjim
the aforementioned wacky christian propaganda
Cruel Site of the Day posted today a 'remix' version of that Chick tract

here
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 12:49 PM   #33
jaguar
whig

What I love about chick is the way 'god' is a faceless lump and the devil is exquisitely rendered. I think that says more about the tracts than anything else really.
Old 04-14-2004, 06:56 PM   #34
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
Originally posted by Happy Monkey
Well, obviously the Christian heaven is better than the Christian hell. But I find that it seems to be a choice between creepy and painful, rather than bliss and torment.
but here is the kicker - the believer risks nothing if he is wrong. if you believe there is an afterlife and then find nothing - what have you lost?

if you are an unbeliever - eternity is at risk. believing that there is no heaven or hell and then be proven wrong??? ouch.

i guess that is why it is called faith. you've got to believe it to see it.
Old 04-14-2004, 06:58 PM   #35
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

well, there's a surprise. lookout is a bush supporter AND a good christian. whooda thunk it?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 07:35 PM   #36
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally posted by lookout123

but here is the kicker - the believer risks nothing if he is wrong. if you believe there is an afterlife and then find nothing - what have you lost?

if you are an unbeliever - eternity is at risk. believing that there is no heaven or hell and then be proven wrong??? ouch.

i guess that is why it is called faith. you've got to believe it to see it.
Pascal's wager is worthless. There are a million religions. If you believe one of them, then you rule out most of the rest. A nonbeliever is risking the wrath of only one more god than the believer.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 08:01 PM   #37
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

but, monkey, the christian god is the jealous one. as long as you believe jesus is your savior, you're ok. if you've never heard of him, ....well, you're fucked.

sorry.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:24 PM   #38
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Most of the Greek/Roman ones were pretty damn jealous. Of each other, no less.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 11:37 PM   #39
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
Originally posted by lumberjim
but, monkey, the christian god is the jealous one. as long as you believe jesus is your savior, you're ok. if you've never heard of him, ....well, you're fucked.

sorry.
wow - you are pretty fucking deep there lumberjim - you don't even need to look into someone's beliefs before labeling them shit. unless i am mistaken i don't remember going after you on a personal level. and you claim to hate bush - you've got a pretty good mastery of the preemptive strike.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:51 PM   #40
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

you should see my backhand.

hey, sorry, bub. i didnt mean to attack you personally. I was referring to my mistrust of "good Christians", and their leader, George Bush. When the President starts talking about good and evil on a daily basis, appearing to speak before congregations, and espousing his religious beliefs, I get a really filthy feeling. Did not George Washington himself specifically say that this country was not founded on ANY religion? When the fuck did Christianity become the National Religion? I didn't vote for it. I don;t even remember there being a vote! I'm often flabbergasted by the whole arrangement.

Nothing personal. I'm not promising you that I won;t go there, but I wasn;t this time. Not really.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:03 AM   #41
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by lookout123

and you claim to hate bush - you've got a pretty good mastery of the preemptive strike.
i don't recall saying i hate bush. I said he scares me. I can't really think of anyone I hate. Not really. People piss me off sometimes, but hate is wasteful.

[flea] I'm a pacifist, so I can fuck your shit up[/flea]

about heaven:

i was thinking about this with jinx tonight, and looked at it mathematically...a little

There is the possibility that there is an afterlife, and there is the possibility that there is not. 50/50 odds. Of the 50% chance that there IS an afterlife, there are myriad and infinite possibilities of what that could be like. One possibility is the Christian heaven. one. one in infinity chances. 1 out of 2 sounds like better odds to me. I'd prefer that there be something afterwards, but I can;t count on it. I have to do what I can in this life.

What if the "light" that people refer to seeing after being revived from clinical death is the light at the end of the birth canal?
Old 04-15-2004, 12:20 AM   #42
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

What if the "light" that people refer to seeing after being revived from clinical death is the light at the end of the birth canal?

Whoa.

Much as I've often been presented throughout my life with the general idea of reincarnation, that particular image has never occurred to me. I must admit it's a little disconcerting.

If that were the case, would that mean people who don't go towards the light are stillborn?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 12:42 AM   #43
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

let's take it a bit farther:

perhaps the above ods are accurate. and there is a 50/50 chance that there is something after. one half chance that you DO go toward the light, which is the light at the end of the birth canal, and your next life, and one that you do NOT go toward the light, and there is no afterlife. You;re just gone.

miss your chance, and game over. this is just as valid a possibility as any other religion. And if this is the actual truth, and no one knows it, and no one teaches us, then the ods remain 50/50. if many of us knew about this, accepted and believed it, we'd be wanting to share this knowledge with those around us, right? Do we have a moral responsibility to spread the word? Are we partly responsible for these...lost souls, these "non light goers"...that we could have warned but did not?

I'll need to flesh this out a bit more, maybe write a few childrens stories about it and come up with a prophet to spread the word,( you interested, radar?) but in ...oh, I don't know...2000 years?....this could be the driving religion behind the most powerful planet in the solar system or something.

Oh, I almost forgot...we'll need a name for it.....anyone?
Old 04-15-2004, 01:30 AM   #44
mrnoodle
bent

.....and they say Christians are nutz.

To put the thread back on track...how much more free-will can you get? God reveals the fact that there is a hell and a heaven, and he gives us an out. We can make of it what we will. While some people get numerous chances to accept the truth of the bible, some only get one. In places where it's never been heard of, there are still civilizations that recognize the concept of one creator that they have to follow (somewhere in the bible it says that, I will look it up tomorrow if you remind me).

God says: here's the information you need to stay in good with me. Make of it what you will. See you at the second coming, bye.

The people who are so upset about the free-will nonsense won't believe the truth about God unless they are offered absolute, unarguable, verifiable scientific data that he exists. (Thus removing their choice not to believe, ironically).
mrnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 01:41 AM   #45
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

the brainwashing of religion is so fundemantal and basic that even otherwise intelligent people succumb to it.
Quote:
.....and they say Christians are nutz.
well, yeah. that's what I'm saying.

Quote:
God says
does he have a deep voice? I've always wondered.
Quote:
The people who are so upset about the free-will nonsense won't believe the truth about God unless they are offered absolute, unarguable, verifiable scientific data that he exists. (Thus removing their choice not to believe, ironically).
"the truth about god" - YOUR truth. keep it to yourself, thanks.

as for data, there is none. no way to know, so how can you say you're anymore right than i am? I'm not saying you're definatley wrong, I'm saying that you are no more right than I am. not even a little bit.