The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 12-04-2010, 11:17 AM   #1
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

What's making you sad today

One of the neighborhood dads (father of a friend of Zing #2) dropped dead from a brain aneurism yesterday. He was 52.

We weren't close friends, but he was a good guy and I always enjoyed talking with him.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:36 PM   #2
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
That sucks. Brain aneurysms are scary. I know of a few people who died of them, it's said you are dead before you hit the ground.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:47 PM   #3
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Yeah, I had a high school teacher die from one in his sleep. I think he was in his 40s. If you have a family, you should always keep your life insurance current.

Also, keep a glass-shattering tool inside your car, in case you ever go careening into the water.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:56 PM   #4
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

and wear clean underwear

Sorry about your neighbor, dar
Old 12-04-2010, 05:22 PM   #5
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Yeah, I had a high school teacher die from one in his sleep. I think he was in his 40s. If you have a family, you should always keep your life insurance current.

Also, keep a glass-shattering tool inside your car, in case you ever go careening into the water.
And one of those seatbelt slicing things.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:24 PM   #6
Griff
still says videotape

Sorry, PZ.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:49 PM   #7
Pete Zicato

One of my first cousins died on Wednesday. He was 45.

Talk nerdy to me.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:01 PM   #8
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Oh it's horrid when your generation starts to go, and so young too! My sympathies, Pete!
Old 01-28-2011, 02:57 PM   #9
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Sorry to hear about that Pete.

I worked in a company where two people died of aneurisms about 18 months apart. One wasn't employed by the company but came along to Sports & Social events so we knew him well. Lightning from a blue sky in both cases and it really rattled us.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:49 PM   #10
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

My whole Plan™ is in jeopardy and I am wondering, "What is the fucking point?" Why am I putting myself through all this stress? Am I going to make it? Do I want to? If I don't do this, then what the hell am I going to do? I'm 40 fucking years old, with my weight, likely well past the mid point of my life, and what?

Even questioning myself and The Plan™ has me upset. Fucking gah.

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:27 AM   #11
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

You know, I'm not as smart as some of the folks here, or as experienced, or knowledgeable. I get that some of my ideas or the things I do might not be popular or even "right". I also understand that posting to a forum on the internet opens one up to ridicule, flame wars, trolls and all sorts of other unpleasantness. But for me, writing has always been a way of sorting things out. A litmus test. When I started lurking here in 2002, I quickly became impressed with quite a few of the folks here...and then I started posting and was accepted into this little "community". Sure, many folks fought like cats and dogs, but I always got the sense that when the chips were down, we were there for each other. Good or bad. Kindof like you yelling at your little brother but if some other kid comes up and starts yelling at your little brother, you beat the snot out of them. That sense of things.

It's been nearly 10 years and I've gone away and returned a few times. Usually, when I've returned, its been because some crazy shit is going down, and I went back to where I felt I could get some feedback. To my community.

But this time is different. I've been noticing that the community feeling...that sense of belonging to something bigger than me but smaller than my little town has evaporated. People who I used to count on for advice or a kind word are now, more often than not, just plain mean and bitchy. There are people who have arrived since I left and when before they would have been "run out of town", not for what they said but how they said it, now they are not just tolerated, but embraced. (I missed Emma, and I think I'm thankful.)

I'm generally not thin-skinned (God knows!) but I think that more lately than ever this community is reflecting more of the world at large instead of being the bastion of decency and good-natured people that I thought we had. I don't know. Maybe the change in me is that I'm not as naive and gullible as I was. Maybe none of you have changed and I'm just interpeting things in new ways.

I'm sad today because I recognize that even if no one else here is changing, I am. I'm not sure the changes have been for the better.

Plus, I think I'm having a midlife crisis anyway. If I've already peaked, I'm in serious fucking trouble.

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:20 PM   #12
Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxCougar View Post
I think that more lately than ever this community is reflecting more of the world at large instead of being the bastion of decency and good-natured people that I thought we had.
This.

The world is polarizing. People choose a side and defend everything about that side no matter what. I don't think this is a good thing.

Talk nerdy to me.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:28 PM   #13
monster
I hear them call the tide

Most people change with age/maturity. Not always for the better. So for the atmosphere of a place not to change, the people in that place must be replaced by younger models on a regular basis.

Which came first, the cake or the eating it?
Old 02-09-2011, 10:51 AM   #14
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

Fax, our cat, died today.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:59 AM   #15
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

AWWWWW