The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 04-19-2007, 09:09 PM   #1
monster
I hear them call the tide

Do you throw litter from your car?

Honestly?

I was caught up in a traffic jam today and I saw so many people throwing trash out of their windows, that I figured statistically someone here must do it. So do you? and if so why? So many people do it they can't all be psychopaths, they must have a rational argument as to why it's OK? Maybe I'm missing something thinking it's bad? Does anyone dare to admit to it? Do you all do it and I'm the only weirdo who thinks it's bad? Is it a rebellion to express anger at being held up? Or a way of keeping prisoners busy? What?

Back in England I used to hear the argument that it kept the council employed litter-pickers in work. Yes, I lived in a rough area. Yes, I challenged litterers.

I really hate littering. I don't understand it. It's probably more effort to throw something out of your car window than to drop it in the trash can we you get home. Am I weird?
Old 04-19-2007, 09:10 PM   #2
Ibby
erika

I only throw like, foodstuffs out the windows. you know, biodegradable stuff. The birds & the ants'll get it. Other than that, no.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:14 PM   #3
monster

I can live with that ....as long as it's into the verge/grass/hedge/whatever where said animals can get it, and not the windscreen/windshield of the car behind....
Old 04-19-2007, 09:33 PM   #4
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

I absolutely do not. I'll spit gum out, or throw an apple core, or similar, into the weeds, but nothing else.

Some fuck-face in a Mercedes SUV about clocked me with a bag of McDonald's trash today, when I was riding to the grocery store. That's basically asking me to shove my bike pump down your throat.

It's not an environmental issue for me either. As a kid, if you came to my house to play and didn't help clean up, I hated you and probably would never ask you over again. I'm a vehement "clean your own mess up" person.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:43 PM   #5
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant View Post
I absolutely do not. I'll spit gum out
Yuck.

but other than that, you're good

How biodegradable is gum these days? In the UK in the 70s they used to scare us by saying that id you swallow it, it sits in your stomach getting balled up with other indigestible crap for ever..... now if stomach acid can't deal with it in a hurry, it's a fair bet it's going to be around for a while on the verge, right? But they used to lie a lot way back then......
Old 04-19-2007, 10:22 PM   #6
Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram View Post
I only throw like, foodstuffs out the windows. you know, biodegradable stuff. The birds & the ants'll get it. Other than that, no.
Exactly. Apple cores, banana peels. And even then I'll get an illicit thrill. I'll pour old drinks out, though (the liquids, not the cups--like leftover ice)
Old 04-20-2007, 02:02 AM   #7
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Nope.

I don't want to make the Indian cry.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 02:16 AM   #8
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

People who throw rubbish from their cars are disgusting pigs in my opinion. They're in the same catagory as grots who don't clean up after their dogs in public places.

It's all shit in the end.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:59 AM   #9
ravenranter
Mystical Miscreant

No, I don't. I live in a fairly rural area and most of what gets thrown out sits indefinitely on the side of the road, unless someone is collecting cans. A Dunkin' Donuts opened about three miles away and since then I'm seeing Dunkin' cups everywhere. It's annoys the crap out of me that people litter.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:20 AM   #10
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Nothing paper nor permanent, but yes, the occasional apple core. Maybe it'll become a tree, I think.

I remember the campaign about "Every Litter Bit Hurts," and it's guided my life re throwing things onto roadsides.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:34 AM   #11
Weird Harold
Vice-President of Resentment

No I don't litter. I'm also really lazy about cleaning my car. There is always something better/ more pressing to do, so I basically drive around in a mobile dumpster.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:08 AM   #12
glatt

I throw apple cores out the window, and feel like I have to hide the fact that I am, like I'm breaking the law. I don't pitch other trash out.

We have a McDonald's two blocks from my house. Every week, before I mow the lawn, I have to pick one or two hamburger wrappers off of my front lawn. I don't like it when people litter.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 08:16 AM   #13
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Ice/melted ice. Only. My car is a fucking trashcan, but not even apple cores go out the window. You should hear my kids' outrage when they see trash come out of a car window. WHen I see glowing cigarette butts come flying out of a car, I really want to do something about it. But what can you do? The cops don't ticket speeders, or stop-sign-rollers, so what would they do with a 911 litter report?
Old 04-20-2007, 08:18 AM   #14
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Okay, I've been known to toss a toothpick out the window, but never anything else. Not even food for fear that it attracts animals into traffic, creating a hazard.

I find it odd that a lot of people that throw trash out the car window are usually neat freaks and do it because they don't want to haul garbage in their car. Just put a grocery bag in the backseat and use it as a trash bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
I don't want to make the Indian cry.
Heh.

"You bastard."
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 08:19 AM   #15
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Nope. And while my kids were still figuring out how I feel about litter, I had to stop the car a couple times to go back and pick up a candy wrapper or two.