The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 09-19-2015, 09:39 AM   #121
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
The article says he took the guts out of an old clock and put them in a pencil case.
This was the "pencil case" he put it in (the black one.) It looks exactly like a bomb briefcase from the movies.

From another article, when he first showed it to his engineering teacher, the teacher told him, "Don't show that to anyone else." The kid's stated intention was to show it off to his electronics teacher, which he did without incident. But having not gotten the actual reaction he wanted, he then showed it to his English teacher, who was the one who sent him to the principal's office.

The thing is, this is exactly the kind of thing my friends and I would have done. We were smart, and bored, and we occasionally fucked with our teachers because it was entertaining, especially when we knew they knew what we were doing, but their hands were tied because of policy.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:00 AM   #122
glatt

My brother did a very similar thing with his physics teacher in HS.
The teacher had mentioned that he couldn't hear high pitched sounds. So my brother made a little box that emmitted a faily loud buzzing noise at a high pitch, and was setting it off during class.

The teacher didn't hear it, but the other students did. Some thought it was funny, and some thought it was stupid and annoying. It caused a disruption, so my brother turned it off. But the teacher knew something was going on. My brother got mildy scolded, but nobody called the police. He wasn't arrested and suspended.

I wasn't there for this clock incident. If the principal felt the kid was deliberately disrupting class, he deserves a detention. Arrest and suspension are way overboard.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:22 AM   #123
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
But having not gotten the actual reaction he wanted, he then showed it to his English teacher, who was the one who sent him to the principal's office.
Actually from one of the original stories

Quote:
He kept the clock inside his school bag in English class, but the teacher complained when the alarm beeped in the middle of a lesson. Ahmed brought his invention up to show her afterward.
~

The reverse engineering article points out something very odd about the lad's Youtube interview with the Dallas Morning News. Here's the interview:

At 1:25, the kid says

Quote:
I closed it with a cable. Because I didn't want to lock it to make it seem like a threat, so I just used a simple cable. So it won't look that much suspicious.
The reverse engineering article asks, why was he concerned about it looking suspicious? He's describing his choice while building this thing.

The danger here is that I/we parse the worlds of a 14-year-old too closely. But he is also really specific about this detail, where there is no reason to get specific. Often, when you lie, you introduce unnecessary specifics.

I also find it interesting that he is constantly doubling down on he invented this thing. Even knowing he's in serious trouble, he never just stops and says hey I took apart a clock. I thought it would look cool with all the electronics exposed and the display mounted on the case lid.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:27 AM   #124
glatt

I'd point out that he was describing past events after having been arrested. So he knows there was HUGE suspicion surrounding him. He's trying to paint himself in the best light, as we all do.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:39 AM   #125
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

(the above was edited - i didn't realize it took me 10 minutes)
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:05 AM   #126
Clodfobble

Quote:
Arrest and suspension are way overboard.
Oh, absolutely. The school should have realized that you don't play chicken with a teenager, because doubling-down is all most kids know how to do, whether out of panic or defiance or both. It's possible the school felt their hands were tied because of a shitty zero-tolerance policy, but still, they should have known how to quietly let this thing go.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:13 AM   #127
Clodfobble

Quote:
My brother did a very similar thing with his physics teacher in HS.
The teacher had mentioned that he couldn't hear high pitched sounds. So my brother made a little box that emmitted a faily loud buzzing noise at a high pitch, and was setting it off during class.

The teacher didn't hear it, but the other students did. Some thought it was funny, and some thought it was stupid and annoying. It caused a disruption, so my brother turned it off. But the teacher knew something was going on. My brother got mildy scolded, but nobody called the police. He wasn't arrested and suspended.
Yeah, we had several instances of the "too high-pitched for adults to hear" prank. We also had a kid who figured out what kind of universal remote worked with the TVs in the school classrooms, and he would turn them on randomly from his backpack whenever it suited him.

When I was in 8th grade, I read the entirety of Johnny Tremain upside-down just to piss off a teacher. I told him that I had a rare form of dyslexia where instead of being flipped left-to-right, letters were flipped top-to-bottom, and that if he tried to make me read it right side up he was discriminating against my disability.
Old 09-19-2015, 12:51 PM   #128
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
When I was in 8th grade, I read the entirety of Johnny Tremain upside-down just to piss off a teacher. I told him that I had a rare form of dyslexia where instead of being flipped left-to-right, letters were flipped top-to-bottom, and that if he tried to make me read it right side up he was discriminating against my disability.
Oh, he loved you, I'm sure. LOL
Old 09-20-2015, 09:59 PM   #129
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

I would want EVERY SINGLE TEACHER in EVERY situation to report this and for it to be addressed. When etc etc the knew it wasn't a bomb, I don't know. What to do from there ... something different, but we have these zero-tolerance policies and they dictate what must be done.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:14 PM   #130
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

I'll just dump all these here. I call bullshit on the whole thing. Something doesn't add up right.
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2015, 09:12 AM   #131
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Times have changed. When I was in junior high, my woodshop teacher helped me build a working replica medieval crossbow. In New York state. Where crossbows were illegal at the time.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:30 AM   #132
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Only on TV do bombs have visual timers and beep. Real bombs don't waste time doing something so useless. How many adults cannot even understand that simplistic concept? How many adults know it is a bomb when nothing of bomb size and potential even exists in it? The teacher panicked due to ignorance and emotion. How long did it take for someone to finally act like an adult - and think?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:53 AM   #133
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I'm not saying what happened was right. But the child was accused of a bomb hoax, not of making a bomb.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:57 AM   #134
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Except he never hoaxed anyone either.

It wasn't a bomb, and never said it was, and when they described things he could have done to make it seem like a bomb, they were things he hadn't done.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 04:13 PM   #135
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
But the child was accused of a bomb hoax, not of making a bomb.
Throw some wires and electronic parts in a box. That is a bomb or a hoax? Hoax was the ability of an adult (and her peers) to think like an adult. She made other involved adult (and police) into national jokes.

Nothing was right or wrong. Pathetic were so many adults who failed to think like adults. The kid remained suspended from school because a teacher and administration could not admit their ignorance and public humiliation? Who was the child here?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote