The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

View Poll Results: What's your floater situation?
None! 2 10.53%
Maybe one or two on occasion, but I never notice them 8 42.11%
Some tiny regulars, plus one or two big ones that are super annoying when they come up 4 21.05%
A whole bunch, I tune them out but sometimes it's hard 4 21.05%
A constant veil of hundreds that make the world constantly smeary and blurry 1 5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-2016, 10:22 PM   #16
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

He is an anomaly, but you, m'dear, are unique.
Old 12-02-2016, 03:03 AM   #17
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

During chemo in 2012 I had sudden complete vitreous detachments in both eyes. Ever since, I've had constant heavy curtains of floaters that mean nothing is ever sharply in focus. I can make out the letters on a Snellen chart and achieve an officially acceptable visual acuity but it's in the context of permanent blur. I sympathize, Clod.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:00 PM   #18
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

And they tell you, "Oh, just ignore them," right?!! How can you ignore something that makes it impossible to see? Have you ever considered getting the vitrectomy? Do you think it would be worth it?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:06 PM   #19
orthodoc

I admit, I'm terrified of having anything done to my eyes at this point. I've been told the bilateral vitreous detachments with chemo were 'rotten luck', but that seems to be my level of luck with vision. I get recurrent scleritis and have been warned never to do anything that could set off new inflammation in either eye. So I don't wear contacts or go out on windy days without eye protection, and I go on steroids the moment my eyes get inflamed. I don't want to risk an elective procedure that could end with blindness.

That's me, though. If I had a different medical history I'd think about a vitrectomy, although tbh I think I'd decline regardless. Eyes are so essential and can do such awful things (like your second, perfectly good eye self-destructing in tandem with your diseased eye). I'll take blurry, smeary vision over the worst scenario - but it still sucks. And yeah, people who say "Just ignore them!" don't have a clue.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:16 PM   #20
glatt

What are your thoughts on intraocular lens cataract surgery, ortho?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:25 PM   #21
orthodoc

It's very commonly done in the older working population that I see. People come back to work a week post-op and they are typically very pleased. Their visual acuity is usually about 20/40 a week post-surgery and they improve over the next month to (usually) 20/20. It seems to be a low-risk, quite successful procedure.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:08 PM   #22
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoc
(like your second, perfectly good eye self-destructing in tandem with your diseased eye).
Say what the fuck now? Because I always thought, if I ever did do it, I'd do just one eye, and let that one heal entirely before I attempted the other one. That way if it went horribly wrong, I'd still have the other eye. But the neurological connections of the good eye might just decide to shut down because its partner did? Ugh.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 07:54 AM   #23
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
And they tell you, "Oh, just ignore them," right?!! How can you ignore something that makes it impossible to see? Have you ever considered getting the vitrectomy? Do you think it would be worth it?
My understanding is that you want to avoid doing that. There are risks and the reward is not great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Say what the fuck now? Because I always thought, if I ever did do it, I'd do just one eye, and let that one heal entirely before I attempted the other one. That way if it went horribly wrong, I'd still have the other eye. But the neurological connections of the good eye might just decide to shut down because its partner did? Ugh.
I believe one eye at a time is standard of care.