The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 02-05-2006, 01:09 PM   #61
Dr. Zaius
Superior Inhabitant

And a little more fuel...

Dr. Zaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 01:14 PM   #62
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Religion of Peace.

Yeah. Sure.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 02:13 PM   #63
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

All you have to do is...

...respect their freedom of religion over all of the rest of yours...

Emphasis mine.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060205/...ophet_drawings

"(Denmark's) government was able to avoid reaching this point ... simply through an apology" as requested by Arab and Muslim diplomats, state-run daily Al-Thawra said in an editorial Sunday.

"It is unjustifiable under any kind of personal freedoms to allow a person or a group to insult the beliefs of millions of Muslims," the paper said.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:18 PM   #64
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

I shouldn't have submitted the post so quickly...

"Insulting the prophet was unacceptable, resentful, and a sign of barbarism," Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesman Hamid Reza Asefi said, adding that Tehran planned to take further action.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:47 PM   #65
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
This is the difference between our Christian Right, who Glorify God, and the Islamic Extremists, who fight for (their conception of) the Glory of God.

And our Christian Right hates opera.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:13 PM   #66
Dr. Zaius
Superior Inhabitant

Dr. Zaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 06:11 AM   #67
d1x1e
Rapscallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar512
Have these guys never seen the zillion and one Jesus cartoons or God cartoons? Have none of them seen "The Life of Brian"?
jerry sppringer the opera was bradcast in the UK following the broadcast christian activists issud death threats against BBC corporate employees.

the LIfe of Brian was subject to protests and to distribution restrictions

Pro-life christian groups fire bomb clinics in the US

Westboro baptist church get up to all sorts of antics.

christian death threats against terri schiavo's husband.

catholics in ireland losing the plot and rioting when the orange lodge march though town.

the murder of Alan Berg.

bombings in the US and UK of gay bars...

www.godhatesfags.com

yes clearly it's only those pesky muslims who are extremists.
d1x1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 08:21 AM   #68
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Why Denmark?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 11:14 AM   #69
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I have to say I'm with BigV on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV
I do see it as blasphemous. The writing is pretty clear that depictions of the Prophet are viewed as idolatry. It is also clear that it is very insulting. That's an incindiary combination.
To ask where the line needs to be drawn in depicting the prophet is missing the point - the cartoons were NOT stick figures, or single pixel images, or even fruit & veg (although that made me laugh out loud). They were designed to offend and they did their job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV
However--it is the reaction to such provocations that counts more than anything. Killing and burning, wreaking havoc against uninvolved third parties? Perfectly hypocritical. "Justifying" by inventing some causal relationship between a dairy conglomerate and the author of the cartoon based on nationality? An excuse for hooliganism.

It is evidence of intolerance and hypocrisy. And both sides are showing their intolerance and hypocrisy to maximum effect.
I won't defend anyone carrying placards that advocate death & destruction to strangers based on where they live. But I also don't think it's right to judge others on the behaviour of a minority that share their religion.

Just out of interest, I haven't seen anything in the news about Muslims in Denmark protesting - has anyone else?
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 11:32 AM   #70
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Tell me you are saddened if I call you "Joe", and I will respect your wishes.

Tell me you will kill me if I call you "Joe", and "Joe" is your name forever.

The Danes were given death threats if they would publish a cartoon.

So they asked for submissions and printed a ton of them, and explained not only do they not cower to censorship by violence, but they would be the ones to stand up for the principle of free speech in such a situation.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 12:22 PM   #71
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1x1e
jerry sppringer the opera was ...yada yada yada
And the fact that Christian nuts exist makes Islamic nuts blameless?

Last edited by dar512; 02-06-2006 at 12:24 PM. Reason: grammar
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 03:51 PM   #72
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar512
And the fact that Christian nuts exist makes Islamic nuts blameless?
No, but it puts this in perspective a bit, especially for the people screaming that only radical muslims react this way to images they find insulting.

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
For example, the release of The Last Temptation of Christ resulted in death threats [in the US] against director Martin Scorsese and one incident in France of a cinema showing the movie being attacked with molotov cocktails, injuring thirteen people, four of whom were burned severely.
Muslims burned down a consulate on seeing a handful of comics, Christians burned down a theater with the release of a movie and beachgoers in Sydney went on roving patrols and attacked anyone who had a Middle Eastern appearance. Same shit, different day. All of the people that perpetually point out the actions of "the religion of peace" need to note that western culture and religion, often defined as "enlightened" on this board, resort to the same tactics. They're usually the same people that pile up a long list with a title like "where's the outrage?" while not even realizing that the west often shows no outrage even towards local events they are aware of.

Some protests have occured in the world, some have turned violent. This shouldn't cause anyone to apply a generalization to millions upon millions of people. By applying these generalizations, we perpetuate the cycle and it all continues. All the things you point out and hate about them are the same things they point out and hate about you. The only difference is that while they "show no outrage over 9/11" and blow up buildings in the name of their cause, we show no outrage over their issues and send our militaries in to destroy their world. And yes, not all of them are told nor see our military as the wonderful freedom-generating machine you've been told it is, just as you are told on a day-to-day basis that all muslims are out to take away your freedom and hate you for being American. You believe your propaganda, they believe theirs.

I thought this was fairly simple: Muslims in the east are pissed at the western world for being treated as sub-human. Why? They're angry that the laws in Europe repeatedly lead to the arrest of people for hate-speech against jews but do nothing to the people that spew hate-speech towards Islam. Much of Europe treats Muslims as a lower class and all you have to do is look the events in Paris to see how decades of racial/religious tension have been building.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 06:23 PM   #73
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Some protests have occured in the world, some have turned violent. This shouldn't cause anyone to apply a generalization to millions upon millions of people.
OK, we'll just kill all the violent protestors. The black helicopters can provide the scapel approach suggested by TW.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:30 PM   #74
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=5192571

What about the stupid hateful insensitive protestors? Can I just kill him a little bit?

Link to Phelps' gloating over the deaths of more WVa miners.

link to story below
Quote:
Funeral Protests
Posted 1/31/2006 06:25 PM

Protest at W.Va. mine disaster memorial prompts legislation

Story by The Associated Press

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) - West Virginia lawmakers are taking steps to pass a law that would restrict protests outside of funerals or memorial services. The legislation is in response to a Kansas-based group's decision to demostrate against homosexuality outside a January 15th memorial for the 12 Sago Mine victims. The protest group is largely the extended family of Topeka, Kansas, minister Fred Phelps and sees the miners' deaths as a sign of God punishing America for tolerating gays. It has applied the
Ad
same logic when U-S troops are killed in Iraq and Afghanistan. The bill (HB4306), which was introduced today, would keep such pickets 500 feet from a funeral or memorial service. The Kansas group had threatened to protest this past weekend outside the funerals of two miners killed at Logan County's Alma Number One Mine, but did not show up. The group's protests at soldiers' funerals have legislators in at least seven other states considering measures similar to those proposed in West Virginia. Phelps' group did not respond to a request for comment.

Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
And of course, FauxNews reports that this is the anti-war left disrespecting our brave soldiers. Idiot.

I don't agree with the restriction on free speech this and many other laws in the making would represent. But just because you have the right to free speech, doesn't mean you're unencumbered by the responsibility to use it without consideration to others. Sow hate, reap violence.

Last edited by BigV; 02-06-2006 at 08:32 PM.
BigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 10:25 PM   #75
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

The Muslim world has been hewing to this maladaptive approach to the matter since the fourteenth century, when the Holy Qu'ran was officially placed off-limits to non-religious inquiry and/or pokes with a stick. Christianity never successfully pulled off the same stunt Christendom-wide, the Holy Inquisition notwithstanding -- there were always those who could fight the Inquisition off and they did so.

Islam's decline in the sciences, which they had hitherto been world-class players in, dates from that time. Losing free inquiry has borne centuries of marginalization, and now this bitter fruit.