The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 12-29-2003, 06:44 PM   #46
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally posted by lumberjim
i will no longer bother to correct that typo when i miss the apostrophe key and hit semi by mistake! who;s with me?!

-no i'm not drunk.....i;m just punch from a busy day
LJ ya rebel! it;s alright on the typo;s. what? make your quota in one day did;ja?

p.s. - i need a citified redneck refill!
Old 12-29-2003, 07:07 PM   #47
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Talk about old, I can remember when the ' and the " were on a typewriter on the upper left of the keyboard, where the ` and ~ is now.
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 07:14 PM   #48
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by plthijinx
'93?!? whoa. i was a manager at a local video store chain and we only carried VHS. that was from '89 to 91, in the collage days.
This guy was a nut...he had tons of old Beta machines in the A/V room. I personally haven't seen blank Beta tapes sold in at least 15 years, and I've never seen them at a video rental store.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 07:16 PM   #49
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
jinx assures me that the microwave destroys most of the nutrients in food anyway.
Not to pick on jinx all the time, I swear I don't mean to, but this is one of those shit molecule theories that juju can disprove with dye and paper.

IMO, naturally
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 07:17 PM   #50
elSicomoro

If I believed everything Rho said, I'd be dead by now, probably. And vice versa.
Old 12-29-2003, 07:55 PM   #51
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

Quote:
Originally posted by lumberjim
PS. why the fuck is the semi colon where it is instead of where the apostrophe is?! i use the apostrophe all the time, and hardly ever use the semicolon. I'd like to start a revolution about this. I must have backed up 3 or 4 times to correct the semicolon typo. maybe i just shouldn;t bother. yeah, that;s it. that;s my revolution right there. i will no longer bother to correct that typo when i miss the apostrophe key and hit semi by mistake! who;s with me?!
Dude, go Dvorak. Every key is in it's most logical, efficient place, based on placing commonly used keys nearer to the primary fingers (index and middle fingers). Of course, it is exceedingly tricky to unlearn the conventional keyboard, which was specifically designed to slow the typist down:
Quote:
The type-bar system and the universal keyboard were the machine’s novelty, but the keys jammed easily. To solve the jamming problem, another business associate, James Densmore, suggested splitting up keys for letters commonly used together to slow down typing. This became today’s standard "QWERTY" keyboard.
As for moments of feeling old, I've had a few. Probably my worst was last May, when my wife and I moved into our new house. A neighbor came over to say hello and introduce himself, so I called my wife to come join us, and introduced her simply as "Brittany." We talked for another minute or so, and the neighbor asked "So where's your wife?"

I indicated Brittany, and said "Er, she's right here."

"Oh!' He said. "I thought she was your daughter."

That guy is still on my shit list. Heheh. I'm only three years older than she is.... damnit. Sure, she does look young, but young enough to be my daughter? Damn.
Old 12-29-2003, 08:32 PM   #52
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
Not to pick on jinx all the time, I swear I don't mean to, but this is one of those shit molecule theories that juju can disprove with dye and paper.

IMO, naturally

I'll talk to her tonight and see if she can substantiate her claims. I never bother to challenge her with this kind of thing, (although i did resist the microwave thing for a while) cuz she can usually show me the why's and wherefore's. I really don;t miss the "reactor" though.

and those poop molecules are real, man! juju is nuts! i mean, who are you gonna believe? a doctor that crawled around on public bathroom floors for years doing his research or some well educated adult college student with a little red die and a paper plate!? c'mon!
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 09:12 PM   #53
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore

This guy was a nut...he had tons of old Beta machines in the A/V room. I personally haven't seen blank Beta tapes sold in at least 15 years, and I've never seen them at a video rental store.
i saw them but only in the mid '80;s! that guy was a die hard not-to-let-it-go personna! let me guess, he invested Thousands in the beta-max, eh?
Old 12-29-2003, 10:10 PM   #54
elSicomoro

pl, I dunno about thousands...well, maybe. I remember when VCRs were $300-500.

Regarding the microwave thing, the only semi-serious study I've seen regarding loss of nutrients is in vegetables. Though there is other information out there, a lot of it seems unsubstantiated.
Old 12-30-2003, 12:19 AM   #55
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by plthijinx
'93?!? whoa. i was a manager at a local video store chain and we only carried VHS. that was from '89 to 91, in the collage (emphasis added) days.
You made art by pasting cutout pictures from magazines onto things? Do you have pictures??

Yes, you young whippersnapper, there was a time when BetaMax was thought to be the superior format for video distribution. (okay, the REALLY superior one was the laser disk, but that didn't last because it was too damn expensive and you couldn't record on them).

Once upon a time videos were relased Beta-only. Sony, however, made one of their rare technological gaffes ... they made the format proprietary, so no cheap knockoffs were produced and the format died a quiet death as the VHS format was produced in cheaper and cheaper units.

My first VHS VCR cost $349.99, from Hess' Department Store, and had a programmable timer (very big deal) and a wired remote control. It was a front-loader rather than a top loader. I bought it in 1984, at which time there were no video store chains (West Coast was just starting to penetrate the east coast video market, Blockbuster opened their Montgomeryville store a quite a few years later) and the mom and pop video store I joined (you had to pay a membership fee in the bad old days) in Ambler was 3/4 Beta to 1/4 VHS. I watched that ratio change over time, until they finally discontinued their Beta collection, mostly by selling it off to tape-hungry BetaMax owners. Unlike the major chainstores, the mom and pops' had the infamous "back room" for adult oriented viewing, so I was able to see such classics as Caligula and Alien Lust.

Quote:
originally posted by OnyxCougar
Talk about old, I can remember when the ' and the " were on a typewriter on the upper left of the keyboard, where the ` and ~ is now.
HAH. I remember typewriters that were produced without a number 1. You had to remember to type a lowercase "l". I also suffered through the use of a "proportionally spaced" typewriter. This IBM electric monstrosity produced beautiful business correspondence, unless you made a mistake, because the letters each had different widths. You also had to remember that a "W" required three backspaces, but a "n" needed only two.

Quote:
LJ mentioned jinx having an unusual belief regarding nuke-a-matics
As far as the microwave sucking nutrients out of food ... if you are cooking fresh foods, that doesn't seem logical, at least it won't suck anymore nutrients out of something than conventional cooking would. And, for veggies, since the cooking time is shorter, and you are essentially steaming them, just so long as you don't cook the broccoli into a gooey mess, then it should retain more vitamins than if you boil them. Prepackaged microwavable foods have the nutrients pre-sucked out of them at the factory, though. Perhaps that's what you should be worried about.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 08:57 AM   #56
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

wolf...

I believe we both went to the same place. That's the one where one of the clerks was a moonlighting Ambler cop, right?

And membership records were kept on library-style cards in a box up front?

Brian
Old 12-30-2003, 09:17 AM   #57
kerosene
Touring the facilities

I;m with ya.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 09:52 AM   #58
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Yes, Brian, that's the place, next to Guiseppe's Pizza ... it was the ONLY video store in town ... until the West Coast opened up in Broad Axe about 5-6 years later.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 12-31-2003, 10:37 AM   #59
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad

IMO, naturally
Oh, seriously, don't worry about 'picking on' me becuase you disagree..... disagree all you want. I'm pretty confident in any decision I've made that I've bothered to research at all, you're not going to bust my bubble by cracking a little joke. And hell, if you want to nuke your food, or hold a radar gun in your lap, or live next to a cell tower - you go for it man. More power to ya!
I just don't know how you can choke the shit down... yuk.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:06 AM   #60
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I was looking for a different thread and found this ... Just happened to have an experience to add.

We have a new ambulance kid at the nuthouse. He's 19, or maybe 20. I had to explain Woolworth's to him.

And then two of the guys made a joke about Kung Fu (miming picking up the heated bowl at the end of the trial), that they then had to explain.

The young man assures me, however, that he remembers his grandmother having a rotary dial phone, so today's youth are learning something of history.