The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 01-07-2007, 04:54 PM   #1
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Israel has plan to attack Iran nuclear plants with low velocity nuclear bombs

Headline in today's Sunday Times - Israel have a plan that would be put into effect if the need arose to launch a strike on Iran's main nuclear facility - the one that is capable of providing enriched uranium.

It's quite a detailed report showing the attack plan involving conventional laser-guided bombs that would open a channel to the underground facilty whereupon a pinpoint-targetted nuclear bomb with the velocity of about a tenth of the Hiroshima bomb would be used to blow open and destroy the production plant.

Online edition here for more details.

Now why do I feel that this isn't going to help any Middle East peace process....?
Old 01-07-2007, 05:11 PM   #2
Ibby
erika

Yes, and?

Its no different than the fact that EVERY country with nukes has MANY different attack plans ready to implement. The US probably has a plan to put a bomb on EVERY major city or capitol worldwide. That doesnt mean they will.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:59 PM   #3
wolf
lobber of scimitars

In the Middle East, this is considered diplomacy.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 06:02 PM   #4
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Read the article and on page 3 it's recounted how Israel attacked Iraq's nuclear plant in 1981 - while the USA nor any other western govt would ever consent to an attack, history showed that these govts didn't exactly go overboard to condemn Israel after it happened in 1981.

It may be sabre-rattling at the moment but Israel has a habit and history of defending itself by attacking first. Maybe it was meant as a manoeuvre to get the Iranians to comply with the UN. However, as a result of the adversaries concerned it just leaves one feeling a little more uneasy than usual.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:14 PM   #5
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
In the Middle East, this is considered diplomacy.

chuckle
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 06:30 PM   #6
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

You know, the quote above about Israel having a 'history of defending itself by attacking first' and then somehow being able to appear to be the under dog makes me think about how the old testament was mostly about the Jews and mostly written by Jews.

I wonder how twisted that story is too.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:51 PM   #7
wolf
lobber of scimitars

A careful read of the Old Testament does not reflect well on the Jews ... especially when you get through Kings and Chronicles, which basically say over and over ...

"Yea, King (insertname) did make burnt offerings to the abomination and was smote by the God of the Hebrews."

Over and over and over again.

They never seemed to "get" it. Make a pleasurable odor unto the Hebrew God, you're good. Burn the same cow to the idol of the God from the nearby town, you're toast.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 01-07-2007, 07:20 PM   #8
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Israel denys the claims. Doesn't mean anything though.
http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/....ap/index.html
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 08:00 PM   #9
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
...a detailed report showing the attack plan involving conventional laser-guided bombs that would open a channel to the underground facilty...
It's best to have a clear strategy when attempting to penetrate a bad place.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 08:04 PM   #10
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

So many posts and yet where are the esential details even mentioned? A 2000 mile trip cannot happen without numerous mid-air refuelings; not possible without American cooperation. Look at the map. How do Israeli fighter get there and back? Yes, the story has merit. But notice what / how are also necessary to execute nuclear war - as if there were no consequences.

This would not be an Israeli only attack as should have been obvious to all who read Cyclefrance's first post. Of course, an America on a religious crusade - that is acceptable. If it goes bad, the mental midget actually thinks Israel can take all the blame. George Jr administration is that dumb - and dangerous. Only someone with an Urbane cannot fodder intelligence would not see how severe those consquences would be. Worse, that is exactly the attitude and mentality of President Cheney - who also insists the US presidency does not have enough power.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 08:05 PM   #11
wolf
lobber of scimitars

That Israel has the most to lose if an Arab state goes nuclear is W's fault?

I think I missed a step in there somewhere.

Old 01-07-2007, 08:10 PM   #12
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Israel would be nothing without the US backing it up. It's military is a lot weaker than it was twenty years ago and the whole Middle East seems to be gaining up on it (I wonder why...). Israel would never break relations with the US even if shrub did start a nuclear war that turns Israel into one big crater.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 08:21 PM   #13
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
That Israel has the most to lose if an Arab state goes nuclear is W's fault?

I think I missed a step in there somewhere.
Where have you been all these years? Iran that did not go for nuclear, biological and other weapons after being told that American will "Pearl Harbor" Iran - an Iran that did not build every weapon it could, instead, would be its own worst enemy.

We have told the world who we will attack unilaterally, without a declaration of war, and with total disregard for international law - Iraq, Iran, and North Korea. That is not even disputable.

Meanwhile, did you notice what happened to the Iranian reform movement - people who once advocated friendship with the US? That completely disintegrates as soon as the US obviously and clearly announced intent to "Pearl Harbor" Iran. Of course it would. What hope did a reform movement have once the US made it impossible to be a moderate? This too is so miserably obvious that only an Urbane Guerrilla mentality could deny it.

What is worse, the boisterous threats on Iran even violate principles in “Art of War”. Intelligent nations just do not do what George Jr did in his 2002 State of the Union Address. Yes, it again goes right the heat of ‘big dic’ intelligence from a president who therefore said “Bring ‘me on”. We now have the problem we wanted.

Had you been watching, majority of Iranians wanted their extremist leadership removed. Iranians were slowly moving in that direction until America's worst president ever opened his mouth. Only 'big dic' thinkers did not realize the consequences of that 'axis of evil' speech.

We now reap what we sowed.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:15 PM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The Lockheed F-16 has a range of 3200+ miles. The Israeli F-16I 'Fighting Falcon' has modified internal fuel tanks that they claim are 50 % larger, plus 600 gallon wing tanks.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:09 AM   #15
Hippikos
Flocci Non Facio

There's an internal power struggle between the Ahmadinejad and Rafsanjani group. Seems that many Iran people, especially the higher educated are sick of Ahmadinjihad's 12th Iman rethorics and threats to the West. The last elections showed that Rafsanjani's influence is growing. Any action from the US or Israel will destroy this delicate balance and for sure Ahmadinejad will benefit from that.

A strike from Israel on Iran will give free hand to the suicide bombers to flock all over Israel and I can imagine Hezbollah will have free hand from Iran to use their latest Iran missiles which have not been used the last war. They can reach Israel at any place with devastating effect.

Iran offered the US direct negotiations 2-3 years ago which the US blatantly refused with war talks. After that the election of Ahmadinejad was just a question of time.

Sometimes when the wheels are rolling, it's difficult to stop the War Machine. The Dogs o' War are barking again.

The outright refusal of Bush to even look at Baker's Middle East Realpolitik gives me an image of a nixonian madman desperately hanging on to his outdated principles, no matter what doom it may bring to the world. Can't this man be impeached?

Last edited by Hippikos; 01-08-2007 at 10:18 AM.
Hippikos is offline   Reply With Quote