The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 04-21-2011, 12:33 AM   #1
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

Dieting...

I thought there was a thread for this, but I can't seem to find it so I'm starting a new one.
I have gained 50ish pounds in the last year and I need to seriously think about losing it. My doctor confirmed it for me. Yes I need to exercise, but I don't really have the money for a gym membership, and no access to a free one. Heavy exercise outside in Texas is not a great idea for me with my asthma, and it doesn't get dark soon enough (I need to go to bed early b/c of work). I can do light exercise, but that will probably be it for a while. So my main focus on weight loss will have to be diet. Now I have tried to go the generic, eat more fruit/veggies/low fats ect route...but I'm really not disciplined enough yet to stick to something so open to interpretation.
I've heard really good things about both HCG and Weight Watchers, but am still skeptical...anyone have any thoughts on these? Maybe an alternative? I have a pretty hectic lifestyle and am not very self disciplined yet, so I need baby steps and simple diet plans.

I should also mention that one change I've decided to make already is to temporarily suspend my use of birth control pills since those can cause you to gain/keep you from losing. So I'm hoping that may help but I'm not sure if some of the other drugs I'm on have the same side effect...maybe I should look into that.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:45 AM   #2
morethanpretty

Upon further scrutiny....HCG just does not look very safe or reliable.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:51 AM   #3
morethanpretty

Has anyone used Alli? The side effects sound pretty awful.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:51 AM   #4
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Maybe Jim can give you some tips. He's had massive weight loss lately.

I think the big thing is to cut out all fats other than what's found naturally in the foods you eat, and limit the amount of dairy and simple carbs.

Lots of green veges, high fibre cereals and grains and lean meat and fish.

That being said, I'm a fatty too. lol I know what I'm supposed to do, but I just don't do it. I have to get serious though. Doc told me so.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:43 AM   #5
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Ugh...I know I know. Creeps up over the winter, then I'm depressed half the spring.

I think BigV tried Alli, mtp.

So many of the supplements, if you follow the guidelines that come with the supplement, you don't really need the supplement. They are the common-sense things that seem to take forever that really make a difference.

For example: chromium picolinate

1)Take 400 mcg of chromium picolinate daily with meals, preferably before working out. Alternatively, you may take a pure chromium supplement every day with meals before exercise. Taking chromium with orange juice or other foods rich in vitamin C helps your body absorb the chromium.

2) Increase your chances for losing weight with chromium picolinate by incorporating 30- to 60-second rest periods between exercises during your workouts.

3) Increase the intensity of your aerobic exercise periodically for up to a minute during your workouts. These occasional "sprints" have been shown to burn much more fat than "steady state" exercising. Chromium picolinate is thought to enhance this effect.

4) Train with weights at least twice a week when using chromium picolinate. Chromium's effect on metabolism is stronger when the supplement is coupled with strength training.

5) Increase the amount of broccoli, green beans, whole grains, peanut butter, plums, tree nuts and potatoes that you eat during the week to safely and naturally increase your body's supply of chromium.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:57 AM   #6
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Yup to that.
Pretty much every wight loss product ad includes the disclaimer "... in conjunction with a calorie-controlled diet and regular exercise". Could it be that it is these two things which cause weight loss, and the special product mostly lightens your wallet?

In seriousness, try the diet and exercise before you get into special weight loss products, pills, foods etc. Cheaper, and fewer side effects.

Disclaimer: I have never attempted to lose weight.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:12 AM   #7
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Try not to want this quickly, mpt, otherwise you will only be frustrated.

Slowly start the No/Yes diet. Figure out the things you want out of your diet and slowly stop eating them - its like quitting smoking, it takes time. Then slowly add in the good high fiber and veggie stuff.

Adding in more activity is important. You cant take walks outside at all? Cuz a daily walk really helps in more ways than one. How 'bout an exorcize video?
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:21 AM   #8
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
Maybe Jim can give you some tips. He's had massive weight loss lately.
Divorce is the best diet evAr, but i don't recommend it. Anyway, you'd have to get married first and all....

What i would recommend is that you take the time to plan your meals each day, eat 4 or 5 small meals (less than 300 calories) per day, get enough sleep, and exercise. Drink water, not diet coke, and avoid caffeine ....also, it's a good idea to take one day per week off of your diet. For one thing, it gives you something to look forward to, so that you don't feel deprived, and it shocks your system out of starvation mode.

it really is that simple.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:50 AM   #9
infinite monkey

Quote:
Divorce is the best diet evAr, but i don't recommend it.
Ha! Yeah, true.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:56 AM   #10
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

I didn't go through a divorce per se, but an ex did kick me out of his apartment. In the month that I was trying to figure out living/job arrangements and dealing with heartache, I went from 115 to 95. Mostly because I was surviving on not much more than coffee and cigarettes.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:58 AM   #11
infinite monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl Crow
I've been swimming in a sea of anarchy
I've been living on coffee and nicotine
I've been wondering if all the things I've seen
Were ever real, were ever really happening
Old 04-21-2011, 11:04 AM   #12
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Sheryl gets it...
Old 04-21-2011, 11:58 AM   #13
monster
I hear them call the tide

Pooka had success with the HCG thing, but that isn't cheap either iirc. Daily walk. If it's too hot outside, go into the malls. Take a buddy you don't get enough time to chat to. Or some really good music you don't get enough time to listen to. Main problem with exercise plans is they are just so boring......

Look on craiglist or somewhere for a free/cheap eliptical.

Don't drink shitloads of beer. that's my main downfall.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:05 PM   #14
infinite monkey

grumble grumble stupid beer grumble grumble

It's not FAIR! I like beer!
Old 04-21-2011, 12:30 PM   #15
morethanpretty

I have an elliptical but no where for it here. I can take walks in late evening, just nothing to heavy. Unfortunately it'll soon be 90F even at 8pm. Drinking is not a big issue here, and I've already switched to mostly water. Sometimes I need coffee though.