The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 07-26-2010, 08:15 PM   #121
monster
I hear them call the tide

I think it might be called a mid-life-crisis by some.

(I wish you both all the best and hope you get it worked out)
Old 07-26-2010, 08:49 PM   #122
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
... I'd like to figure out the motivation for the deal breaking shit. The obvious one is that one wants out of the relationship. If that's not it, then what?
jinx, I would be willing to guess that is not the case, but since I don't really know either of you I can't say for sure, but I bet that isn't it. People sabotage themselves for a lot of reasons, most of them unconscious. The older I get the more it seems to me that all of us are starring in a play that we are writing called "This is the story of my life" It's easy for me to see it in my MIL. She was a child in Germany during WWII, they were refugees, they were poor, the city was bombed, it was chaos and destruction. This woman re creates that chaos and destruction, literally, in her life. It's as if she is saying, through her life and actions: "Look! Look at what happened to me!"

I think all of us have had some sort of tragedy in our lives as kids or teens or adults. We often get "Stuck" there and we keep reliving it, recreating it.

Consider joining an ACOA or CODA group I think it will give you a lot of perspective into Jim's behavior as well as give you ways to cope and protect your own mental health. Mrs. Nutkin began to go after the whole meltdown with her mom a year or so ago, it has helped her immeasurably in dealing with her batshit insane mother. And Jim isn't so batshit insane as all that.

Also, I'd recommend you read "No more Mr. Nice Guy" as well as Jim. The book is exactly about what you are describing in Jim's behaviour.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:06 PM   #123
LJ
i am myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooka View Post
The book Loving What Is, helped me learn to love myself

My best friend gave me the book by Byron Katie, she had done the Work herself and I had the opportunity to watch her blossom while doing it, she was there to encourage me and help me see myself and situations I found myself in as they are… letting go of the story lines in my head that were the real source of my pain, anger, fear, frustration.
a free pdf of the short version of this book

download the worksheets, etc

I'm just cracking this book, but will be giving it a real go. Her method seems sound, and I find myself grinning when I begin to see how it breaks up assumptions and investigates thoughts and 'stories' to determine their truth.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:32 PM   #124
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ View Post
Her method seems sound...
Willard: They told me that you had gone totally insane, and that your methods were unsound.
Kurtz: Are my methods unsound?
Willard: I don't see any method at all, sir.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:08 PM   #125
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Well, do I ever feel like a shitheel. Not only was I not aware of this until this evening, I've been around here so little that no one passed it on to me until tonight.

As someone whose marriage is teetering on the brink, albeit for different reasons, just let me say that I feel for both of you. It's sort of like hearing the Homecoming King and Queen broke up or something.

I know that you two are both intelligent and articulate, and that you feel things deeply. These three things will help you as you sort out the issues and plan a future.

In the meantime, I think you're both very special, and will keep you in my thoughts.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:57 AM   #126
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

How are you doing, LJ?
Old 10-08-2010, 11:43 AM   #127
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Hope you guys are ok.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote