The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 06-08-2007, 12:48 PM   #31
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That makes no difference... speak for yourself.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:55 PM   #32
freshnesschronic
Professor

Point taken, will not make sweeping notions about everyone's feelings next time.
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 03:21 PM   #33
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshnesschronic View Post
Sorry I generalized but I'm not too far off the general consensus about her, am I?
A 'general consensus' has never been taken - so you're just assuming - and we all know what that spells.

In regards to the behavior that a lot of us have noticed in these parts lately - and no, not just her, but her, you, and the rest of the bunch who insist on throwing turds in the Cellar lately. It NEEDS to stop. It's ruining a good thing, and making what a lot of us consider 'home' to be a very uncomfortable place to hang out. Because god forbid, we should disagree with someone, hold different socio-political views, or be *gasp* from another country. Apparently tempers are high and fuses are short. And some folks have no functional filter between the brain and the fingers.

I've been here for a few years, and have never seen the animosity THIS bad. There have been spats and threads here or there that have deteriorated into lots of shit slinging, and yes, I'll be the first person to admit that I've argued with people around here too - but lately, it's been quite personal, and very pervasive - almost every thread you peek in on, you see sniping, rude comments, and uncivil behavior. Most of which, I'm betting you wouldn't see if we met face to face. Tis a shame that we feel we can act a little more...crassly when we're separated by motherboards and bandwidth.

I don't come around as much as I used to - and that sucks - because I feel like I'm missing part of my 'family' as it were.

Put it this way - if you wouldn't like it to be said to you - content, phrasing, wording, implication, whatever - don't say it. Realize that not everyone thinks like you. That if they don't, they may not be wrong - they're just DIFFERENT. There are a million ways to look at everything. It would be pretty damn boring if we all walked, talked, and thought in lock step.

UT built a pretty nice house for us to hang out in. Don't shit in the living room. (In this case, it's pretty much turning out to be every dang room)

Last edited by Dagney; 06-08-2007 at 03:27 PM.
Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 03:53 PM   #34
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I won't quote the whole thread Dagney, although I agree with it in its entirety. I've just said the same thing - although less coherently - in the I Know What I Want From The Cellar thread.

I wonder if we brought this on ourselves. We have assumed certain people were trolls and given them a hard time, and perhaps suggested to new posters that this is the way issues are debated in the Cellar.

It's hard to know how to deal with it. If you ignore posts you perceive as deliberately inflammatory you run the risk of being marginalised while hotheads who can't resist rising to the bait become the majority voice. But if everyone ignores anything that doesn't conform to their own world view this place would lose it's intelligent discussion and multiple opinions and just become one great big Hi, How Are You Today thread.

Oh rose, thou art sick
Old 06-11-2007, 02:00 AM   #35
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

I thought Freshnesschronic was satirizing tw while she was at it. Am I right or just, um, reading things?