The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 10-21-2008, 11:15 PM   #1
Juniper
I know, right?

I Hate Clothes Shopping

This thread is probably gonna be mostly for the lady dwellars, but men, I guess you're welcome too.

I know I'm weird, women are supposed to like shopping for clothes, but I purely loathe it. (Shoes, OTOH... ) Part of my disdain for this activity is the fact that it costs money and I'm chronically frugal. Part of it is...well, let's just say I'm not exactly runway model material.

One thing that ticks me off is this low-rise jeans thing. It was already damn near impossible for me to find a pair of jeans that fit before. I am picky. The low rise jeans always feel like they're falling off. The waist is too big. If my shirt is too short, when I sit down they show my underwear. And my belly is definitely not compatible with the low rise look, should my shirt ride up in front. Bleh. But if I find anything with a higher rise, it's always relaxed cut. I like jeans that fit - jeans are supposed to hug your butt, not hang off it like a loaded diaper.

Which reminds me, could someone explain why people think it's attractive for your pants' crotch to hang down to your knees? I really don't get it.

You got any clothes gripes?

And can you tell me where to find some normal jeans? The kind with a waist that actually sits on your waist?
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:20 PM   #2
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I'm having trouble with getting jeans that fit lately. lol But usually it's not too bad. I'm not into low lowrise jeans either. Incidentally, did you know that high waisted jeans are back in now? You should see them in the shops pretty soon even in regional areas.

I like clothes shopping even though I'm in larger sizes. I like shopping for clothes for my kids and husband too, which is good, because my husband and one of my sons have no dress sense.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:26 AM   #3
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I find that clothes shopping is much improved when you can find a good catalog or online vendor and stick with it.

My three favorites are QVC, LL Bean, and US Cavalry.

QVC is a great solution for the jeans issue. Denim and Company Jeans are comfortable, fit well, and come in more traditional cuts and a variety of styles. They also have a "custom fit" option. I haven't tried these because the regular 5-pocket comfort stretch jeans fit me just right, and I am a hard-to-fit size.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:27 AM   #4
Tulip
Professor

"Traditional" waist jeans and pants have been back since last year. I see them in catalogues. Okay, I don't know about the stores though. I like low-rise jeans because they feel comfortable. But I agree with Juniper, they make the butt look hideous. Mine is flat and wide enough! Geezz....

As for the costly part in clothes shopping, some people are just lucky. I don't know how, but they find all these deals. Some people would boast they get a pair of pants or shirt as low as $5. WTH! The cheapest I ever find is $15 and that's rare too. Yeah, I don't buy clothes too often. They can be costly.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:56 AM   #5
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Clothes shopping is a tiresome chore for me.

Either I know what I am looking for, in which case I can't find it, or I don't know what I'm looking for, in which case I never buy anything.

Low rise jeans look terrible on 99% of people. The other person would look good in anything (or better, nothing), so it doesn't matter.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:58 AM   #6
monster
I hear them call the tide

Walmart Oh and thrift stores.....

(Hate it too, but do get a thrill if i find a nice newish item for the kids (esp the girl) in the 50c room at the thrift store.)

jeans are a pain because I only wear black and that's been out of style for a while. I'm good with relaxed fit, though (low rise not so much -I rely on the jeans to keep it all squished in. )
Old 10-22-2008, 07:00 AM   #7
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I hate clothes shopping. Always have, always will. I like having the new clothes...but I really detest the process. It's just mega stressful to me.

Quote:
Either I know what I am looking for, in which case I can't find it, or I don't know what I'm looking for, in which case I never buy anything.
Oh that resonates lol.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:32 AM   #8
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

When and if I have money, I love all forms of shopping. Food shopping is my favourite, furniture shopping my least (in fact I'll remove it from the I LOve Shopping list altogether). Clothes shopping is towards the bottom, but again mostly because I never have any money to do it properly.

When I win the lottery, one of my first calls will be to one of the big department stores (Harrods, Harvey Nicks, Selfridges etc) to ask them 1) what size clothes do they stock and 2) can I have a personal shopper to help me spend lots of money. I'd love to have someone help me pick out clothes that suit me, fit me, and work well together - especially if they also match shoes and accessories.

Until then I can only dream and dress randomly in clothes from Asda and eBay. Ah well, they do what they're sposed to all the same.

Here's someone who doesn't mind shopping. Actually it feels a bit bitchy. But hey, $75k is $75k, right? The only item I think is worthwhile is the pushchair for Trig, and if anything I would expect that to be for a much higher amount, up to $2000. That's the sort of price paid by people in my shop previously when their children had special needs (but then I know prices are cheaper in the US).

Anyway, it does all seem to be supposition.
From the Guardian (surprised? I was)
Quote:
The Republican party has spent $150,000 (£92,000) on clothes and accessories since late August for Sarah Palin and her family, according to records of party spending.

The Republican shopping sprees, including a $75,000 jaunt to the upscale store Neiman Marcus, began showing up on financial disclosure reports in early September, just after Palin was chosen as John McCain's running mate.

Palin often depicts herself as a homespun product of small-town "real America"on the campaign trail, but she was revealed last month to be working with a secret team of stylists on sharpening her dress sense.

Today's reports on the Palin family's elaborate spending habits – a $295 pram was among the purchases as a treat for baby Trig, according to politco.com – could hurt the Republicans' credibility. The election is less than two weeks away.

The former Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards became a national joke last year after campaign financial reports showed him spending $400 on haircuts. McCain and his wife, Cindy, were plagued this year by reports of $500 shoes and a $300,000 party ensemble respectively.

"The campaign does not comment on strategic decisions regarding how financial resources available to the campaign are spent," Palin's spokeswoman, Maria Comella, told politico.com, declining to confirm that the fashion expenses were exclusively for Palin.

No similar shopping trips were reported by the Republican party before Palin became McCain's running mate.

The Neiman Marcus branch where Republicans shopped in September was located in Minneapolis, the site of the party's national convention where Palin was introduced as McCain's running mate. Republicans spent $9,440 at a Macy's shop in the city during the same period. Another $4,900 was registered at Atelier, a men's fashion emporium, suggesting Palin's husband Todd was treated to a new wardrobe.

Palin's makeover was not limited to attire, according to a lengthy story due to be published this weekend in the New York Times. The vice-presidential hopeful worked with Priscilla Shanks, a voice coach and Hollywood actor, to help refine her speaking style before her speech at the Republican convention.

She has billed her home state of Alaska, where she is governor, for more than $21,000 for taking her five children on official trips – even when they were not invited.

Palin claimed $17,000 in per diem reimbursements from her state's government for nights spent at her family home in Wasilla, Alaska. Tax experts have questioned the propriety of those claims, which were not added to her annual income tax returns.

"With all of the important issues facing the country right now, it's remarkable that we're spending time talking about pantsuits and blouses," said the McCain campaign's spokeswoman, Tracey Schmitt.

"It was always the intent that the clothing go to a charitable purpose after the campaign."
Old 10-22-2008, 11:02 AM   #9
Treasenuak
Multiorgasmic and wrapped in plastic

Personally, I love clothes shopping, especially if it's for the kidlet. I HATE shopping for accessories though. I have no head for accessories. -sighs-
Treasenuak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:08 AM   #10
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Palin's makeover was not limited to attire, according to a lengthy story due to be published this weekend in the New York Times. The vice-presidential hopeful worked with Priscilla Shanks, a voice coach and Hollywood actor, to help refine her speaking style before her speech at the Republican convention.
Well, I'd hope so. Oratory on the national/world stage is not something that just arrives full fledged. Presentation skills are important.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:30 AM   #11
jinx
Come on, cat.

I like clothes shopping, but I tend to stick to the stores/brands I know my size in and do most of it online (just picked up 5 new shirts from the PO). I love lowrise everything, always have... can't stand stuff to come up around my waist. My favorite shopping is for birthdays and xmas for my nieces and nephews because they're all younger/smaller than my kids. They're clothes are so cute...
Old 10-22-2008, 11:43 AM   #12
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

I used to LOVE clothes shopping. That is when I worked for LS Ayres (now Macys) and got a 25% discount and more . Its really hard paying real prices nowadays. So, with a few exceptions, I try to only shop clearance or extra discount sales....Kohls seems to be having a lot of thoase lately.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:09 PM   #13
kerosene
Touring the facilities

I dislike shopping for clothes for me, unless it is on a whim and I see something that I have to have. If not, I can't stand going out to get a pair of needed jeans or something. I like lowrise. jeans that sit on my waist go way too high for me (shortwaisted) so it just looks and feels silly on me. I hope low rise bell bottoms are around forever, to be perfectly frank. I tried some of those "skinny" jeans and they just feel like I am wearing a bag that has been stapled together at the bottom.

I don't know any particular brands that work for me. I buy most clothes for myself at thrifts. I just don't see the point in paying so much for clothes.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:11 PM   #14
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

I guess I am blessed. All of my clothes are provided.
Big Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:56 AM   #15
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

But, Big Sarge, I've told you a thousand times.... green just isn't your colour!