The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 04-08-2007, 01:27 AM   #1
Hoof Hearted
...you smell something?

Husband WHACKED my flowers!

We fixed my riding mower today and I was able to mow the yard for the first time in 5 months. He also dragged out the weed-whacker and started edging the driveway and around the shrubs. I was 100' away on the other side of the yard, making my turn when I look up to see him WHACKING my flowers at the base of the flagpole!

I can't whistle and I knew I couldn't shout or scream loud enough for his 50-60% deaf ears to hear me over the distance, my mower and his whacker. He was already half way through them so I just let him continue and I laughed. I did, really! Otherwise I'd have cried.

I called my mother and she commisserated, but she said they (Mexican Evening Primrose) are hardy plants and for me to water the poor stubs tomorrow and she bets they will come back and be just fine. ...and to give hubby dire warnings about whacking my flowers in the future!

I did gain some guilt-points when I told him what he'd done.

Anyone else have something similar happen to them?
Old 04-08-2007, 01:39 AM   #2
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

when we first move here 10 years ago I got a tractor with a 4 foot finish mower , the FIRST ti me I used it I took out a tree , it was in the WAY !!!
My wife like to plant flowers and stuff in seemingly random spots all around the yard , she has learned (from experence ) to mound LARGE rocks around theese random plantings , or else they get MOWED !!!
Old 04-08-2007, 02:01 AM   #3
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

We have been watching about $150 worth of new perennials and annuals get nuked, first, by unending 20 mph winds lasting for a week, followed by sub-20 degree temps for five nights running.

I only wish I'd had the chance to do something stupid like mow the stuff myself.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:27 AM   #4
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

My brother and his wife came to help me do some gardening at our old house a couple of years ago. I had an awesome herb garden growing and one of the plants was a lemon grass which was going gangbusters at the time. My brother thought it was a big overgrown clump of ordinary grass and whacked it with what we call a whipper snipper.

When I told him what he'd done he then realized that the air was heavily fragranced...with lemon...surprisingly...duh...
Old 04-08-2007, 03:46 AM   #5
duck_duck
Soul Duck

You should have chased him down with the riding mower!
duck_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 03:59 AM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
He was already half way through them so I just let him continue and I laughed.
Your fault....when you saw him he hadn't stared on your half yet.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:28 AM   #7
chrisinhouston
Professor

Last year I hired some day laborers who didn't speak English to do some cleanup and weeding in my parent's flower beds. I tied red ribbons around the azaleas and while pointing to them said "Good plant, NO CUT". I came back later and found all the azaleas cut down to the ground

chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 08:09 AM   #8
Griff
still says videotape

Any time my Dad did the mowing it cost Mom plants. Mowing became her job. One time she put in a row of little pine trees along the yard by the hayfield and he cut them all with the end of the sickle bar.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:20 AM   #9
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
One of my pals basically bulldozed about 250 feet of his wife's plantings while he was recontouring a small hill.

oops
Old 04-08-2007, 09:32 AM   #10
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Don't know about the flower problem, but one bonus of mowing is its being a great way to find Oscar's (our dog) and Jonty's (neighbour's god) discarded toys that have been spread randomly over and in the longish winter grass.

So the initial mow will every so often suddenly launch a ball, rubber bone or squeeky toy into the air and a distance of several yards. A bit like a bogus and totally flawed clay-pigeon shoot, in a way.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:03 PM   #11
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclefrance View Post
Don't know about the flower problem, but one bonus of mowing is its being a great way to find Oscar's (our dog) and Jonty's (neighbour's god) discarded toys that have been spread randomly over and in the longish winter grass...
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2007, 01:28 PM   #12
Cloud

as long as he doesn't start babbling about space aliens and building a mountain in your living room, I think you'll be okay.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:47 PM   #13
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

RE: my previous post, I read "cyclefrance" as "clodfobble". Maybe more sleep is in order.