The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.64 average. Display Modes
Old 07-08-2003, 01:52 PM   #76
joydriven
joywriting in the rock river valley

I am not ignoring the verifiable scientific discoveries of facts. There is no such thing as faith in a vacuum, and there is no such thing as facts in a vacuum. I cannot validly claim to have stripped myself of all presuppositions when I encounter a fact. Facts are interpreted through the lenses of the presuppositions we bring to the table. I acknowledge those verifiable scientific discoveries, but I do not interpret them the same way you do.

Carbon dating can be valid, but if you posit the Bible, then you also posit a flood--which (due to sudden immense pressure and vast global consequences) would have significantly altered the effectiveness of various dating methods, since it would provide the necessary conditions for fossilization.

I learned the scientific method in school like the rest of you did, and I don't deny its legitimacy. Nor do I doubt that true science, i.e., that science which is conducted faithfully according to the scientific method, serves usually to verify and never to deny, the claims of the Bible. For instance, the roundness of the Earth in spite of former scientific opinions to the contrary. Or "the morning stars sang," a phrase that was originally written off as biblical poesy but was actually discovered to be true by radio experts during WWII times. This is the case with countless historical and linguistics records as well. The only instances where the Bible's accounts of history and geology have <b>not</b> been verified by science properly conducted have been instances where the Bible itself declares that a supernatural miracle occurred (such as when the "sun stood still" or when the invisible man created the world in six days).

I can't get into the INs and OUTs of the historical, scientific, linguistic verifications that Bible-supporters would consider valid supports. Christians are not only in the minority numerically, but they are sadly in the minority when it comes to scholarly expressions of their faith. If you are interested, here is one creationist site that proposes quite a few valid arguments and interpretations of what even you would call facts, and they are among the very few who do so in a manner worth reading.
<a href="http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/qa.asp" target="new">Answers in Genesis</a>

I keep coming back to this, but I'll say it again. We are wearing different-colored lenses. I am acknowledging that I have presuppositions and am positing an absolute truth by which I measure all of my interpretations. I submit to you again that you have presuppositions as well that influence your interpretation of the facts.

Ultimately, we all believe what we all want to believe. That we are all free to do so does not mean we are right or wrong in doing so.
joydriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 03:02 PM   #77
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
His real power would be to stop it from happening. But he doesn't do that on any regular basis, now does he? We wouldn't be reading about these things in the paper if he did.
Not so sure on this one. When I think about all the times I came close to killing myself with one stupid antic or another, I've sometimes wondered in someone didn't intervene.

Christian hot air?

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 04-07-2007 at 06:08 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 06:47 PM   #78
joydriven

packing it up

Hey, I'm just thinking it would be best to move any insane remains of this discussion over to Philosophy as was originally proposed/implied as a good idea.

So, maybe we could continue here....
<a href="http://cellar.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3651" target="new">Philosophy thread discussion re: the God of the Bible</a>

Again, thanks for your patience with my blog bogging.
~joy

matthew1344@hotmail.com
Old 07-08-2003, 06:55 PM   #79
warch
lurkin old school

I feel compelled to pop in ...
Quote:
Facts are interpreted through the lenses of the presuppositions we bring to the table.

So what about "Thou shall not kill".
I'm curious JD, about your thoughts, your personal beliefs and biblical interpretation of recent events like 9/11 or the long violence in the middle east. Is God angry and trying smite us all or something? You've stressed your faith in the absolute truth of biblical God, salvation in heaven; so can a soldier that kills another human be a true Christian? Can a leader that orders others to kill be a Christian? Could you ever imagine a time when you, as a Christian, would be justified by God in killing another human?
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 12:32 PM   #80
joydriven

"thou shalt not kill" ...redirect...

hey, warch...

please see here for a reply.

<a href="http://cellar.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=48150#post48150" target="new">"thou shalt not kill" entry on Philosophy blog</a>
Old 07-14-2003, 07:03 PM   #81
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally posted by perth
i think the best kind of bible to have is an interlinear bible. king james or other common translation, alongside the original hebrew/greek and a literal word-for-word translation. throw in strongs concordance, and theres a lot there you might otherwise not see. its good to get a look at just how much has been edited to pretty-up or change the meaning of what was originally written.

~james

p.s. another link because amazon is being stupid.
I heard that the phrase 'walked on the water' in the new testament is now thought to be better translated as 'walked by the water'. I wonder if they are going to make that change?
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 03:24 AM   #82
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

But thanks for the cosmic laugh anyway -- the Finger of God...
Old 07-17-2003, 02:47 AM   #83
Uryoces
2nd Covenant, yo

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
Not so sure on this one. When I think about all the times I came close to killing myself with one stupid antic or another, I've sometimes wondered in someone didn't intervene.

Christian hot air?
Is it just me, or does Jesus on that balloon look like the MCP?

Old 07-17-2003, 04:53 PM   #84
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

It's just you.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:03 AM   #85
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

More fingers?

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 04-07-2007 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:58 AM   #86
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Yikes

Is that the holy goatse man?

sorry
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 11:34 AM   #87
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You bastard, now that you've said it that's all I can see.
Old 08-07-2003, 11:54 AM   #88
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

My work here is done.

but I'll stay anyway.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 10:08 PM   #89
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Never let a good thread die.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 04-07-2007 at 06:07 PM.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:58 PM   #90
bmgb
Master of the Domain

Goatse

Quote:
Originally posted by Happy Monkey
Is that the holy goatse man?

sorry
I've seen that word so many times, but never knew what it meant.

(No) thanks to google, I now know.