The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-13-2003, 11:21 PM   #1
mbpark
Lecturer

well, about 12 years and I hope y'all don't hate me :)

Heya,

Long time caller (since 1991 on this board and stuff).

However, I've been out of it for a few years, honestly, because I am very busy and can't post from where I work most of the time.

What do I do? (Besides give a lot of people here the impression I am incompetent apparently ).

Six years ago I went in and co-founded Diginexus with Ari Kushner, Ron Isaacson (now in NYC with ML), and a couple of other people who are no longer there. Right now I'm still one of the partners, albeit I stay silent for a reason. I care about our work more than accolades and titles.

If you heard of that company, you heard a story which I am trying to make have a happy ending after a large group of people took Ari and I's dream and pissed all over it, almost destroying us in the process. That's why nobody's heard from us in almost two years. It's by our design, since we want people to focus on our works, not bad marketing .

I did something that took a lot of cojones, which many people didn't think I had, which was to try and make things work in the tech industry at 21 with what I knew. I struggled against a lot of people who thought I was talking out of my ass, and didn't have the dedication to do my job right. Unfortunately, I had to work with a lot of that over the past few years. Especially with Oracle DBAs who think they're god incarnate.

Some of you talk about bad teachers. I had to deal with a lot of people who wanted nothing more than to have me out of the Tech industry. A few of them worked for Diginexus. Fortunately, Ari saw what was up and cleaned house over the past year.

I ended up teaching myself what I needed to know for my job, and worked my ass off for the past six years building on what I know. Currently I'm working doing DBA work (Oracle and SQL Server), Configuration Management, with a bit of security mixed in. If you know me, you know my customers .

Unfortunately for myself, some of you still have an impression of me as being an incompetent, bumbling idiot. That's part of why I stopped coming here as much. I could never be taken seriously, even after I spent 60-70 hours a week teaching myself how to do what I do since 1997, and really do stay quiet.

Some of you might have known me when I was younger, and I know I gave you no good reason to like me, especially Anton. I realize that that carries on. I realized I shot my mouth off. I also realize I made myself look extremely stupid.

However, I'm not like that now.

Really, I'd like to apologize for what I did back then. I know there's a lot of people here that hate me, especially the older crowd.

I know this has been a long time coming, but I felt I had to do it. Usually, I don't hang around places for 12 years.

Mitch
mbpark is offline   Reply With Quote