The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 07-29-2011, 09:04 PM   #6976
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

Bro-in-law put their dog, Lexie, down today. She was about 8. They adopted her last year from a humane society and found out about a month later she had an enlarged heart and congenital heart failure (the humane society knew but did not tell them). Anyway, she's been goin downhill pretty fast for a couple of weeks and he finally agreed it was time. It was a sad morning, and a sad homecoming. I'm leaving Della at my parent's this weekend because I have to work and I don't want him to be reminded by her what he's lost. I think it would just be insensitive to have her around right now. He is, understandably, very upset. My sis is less so, when they found out the dog was sick, her coping mechanism was to not get attached, and she's the type of person who can be kinda cold like that. I can't blame her though, it is hard to get attached to a dog that's not very affectionate (this one wasn't) and has health issues that you know are just gonna cause you pain when it dies.
My sis says they will never get another dog, or pet, but my bro-in-law is a pet person and they can't have kids, so I think eventually she'll give in. I just hope they get something younger and are more careful about who they adopt from.
It still really pisses me off that that particular humane society assured them that they'd had it all checked out that it was no longer having a heart problem when it obviously was.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:33 PM   #6977
Nirvana
Back in 10

Sorry about their dog MTP but shelters want their dogs adopted. There are good and bad shelters. There are good and bad breeders. JMO a good breeder is a better choice than any shelter. I just got an email from a lady telling me her sweet lil boy she got from me passed on , he was 17 years old. She wants another companion and she knows that I am one she trusts.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:05 PM   #6978
morethanpretty

That is completely disrespectful and since you feel like its OK to kick a person when they're down, I don't think I need to react with kindness, especially not now. I don't have a single issue with rescuing dogs, in fact, I think it is the RIGHT thing to do. It is moral. I think breeding dogs and selling them (even if don't end up with a profit) is immoral. I don't give a fuck about how long one of your dogs lived and happy one of your dumbass customers was. My family has always "rescued" or adopted pets from all walks of life.
Tasha: large dog, part shepherd, found but don't know where I was too little, died around 15, heart-worms
Pooch: large dog (indeterminate breed), found at the flea market, died around 15, euthanasia
Bitsy: small dog, chihuahua/rat-terrier, "accident" litter from neighbor, 13, died from stroke
Buddy: black lab, abandoned by pseudo family member, 13 and acts like a puppy
Della: bichon frise, rescue from shelter, 3years and super healthy

Lexie was an extremely special case. I don't think my sis and BIL made a wrong choice when deciding to rescue, they just got duped by an asshole "humane" society. Its not OK to lie, whether you're a breeder or a humane society. Just like they had no way to know that the humane society was not being honest and could not be trusted, they could have the same damn problem with a "good breeder."
To top it off, they wanted a slightly older dog, not a fucking puppy. Not everyone wants to deal with a puppy. So yes, there are risks, just like there are when you go to a "good breeder." My whole issue with this is that the people they adopted from out-right LIED they weren't just ignorant of the condition, a breeder could do the same fucking thing.

Take your opinion and shove it. Self righteous bitch.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:12 PM   #6979
Nirvana
Back in 10

Umm what?
Old 07-29-2011, 11:16 PM   #6980
Nirvana
Back in 10

Dogs die no matter where they come from and no one can know when or how for sure. Deal with reality.

I don't have any idea where you get I am self righteous. I think you are in need of serious medication and some social skills.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:37 PM   #6981
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

That was WAAAAY the Hell out of line MTP !!!
Old 07-29-2011, 11:40 PM   #6982
morethanpretty

Don't tell me what I'm in "need" of until you get some fucking manners.

Its not out of line for her to tell me that dogs from a breeder are better than from a shelter when I just expressed that my BIL had to put his dog down and that right now my family is hurting for him? Bullshit.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:43 PM   #6983
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

WOW !!
Old 07-29-2011, 11:47 PM   #6984
Nirvana
Back in 10

MTP I think you were absent the day they passed out manners. Self righteous are those that think they are "rescuing" a dog and then they are pissed off because it, like every other living being dies.

In case you misunderstood or if anyone else would like clarification, the lady that had the 17 yr old dog she got from me, got him when he was 7 years old after I paid to have him neutered. She did not pay for him and she did not bitch about it when he died.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:00 AM   #6985
morethanpretty

If I was playing hooky that day, you played hooky the whole damn week.
I'm not bitching about Lexie dieing, I'm bitching about the lying. Its not that hard to understand when I capitalized the word in my previous post.
Breeders, as a norm, are selling puppies, so there was no precedent for me to believe the dog was not a puppy. You said specifically, that it is better to get a dog from a breeder than a rescue organization. There is no reason for me to think you mean any different than the normal way a person gets a dog from a breeder. To top it off, its insensitive as all fuck out to tell someone that they made the wrong choice to rescue their dog that just had to be put to sleep. Self righteous are those that think they should tell others that they should have got their dog from a "good" breeder because it would have lived longer, and they made the wrong choice by not doing so.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:07 AM   #6986
Nirvana
Back in 10

You obviously have no idea how people can acquire dogs from breeders. Breeders know more about the dogs they are placing then a shelter will know about the dogs they are placing. Its not self righteous to try and educate the ignorant. Probably wasn't the best time and probably no time would be best for you since you already have your ill perceived prejudices.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:01 AM   #6987
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Holy helll, mort. I think the point nirvana was making was a salient one. Shelters are manned by largely untrained amateurs and volunteers whose main objective is to place volumes of unwanted pets. Detecting an enlarged heart in an 8 year old dog is undoubtedly well outside of the scope of normal shelter operations. Calling her self righteous is over the line. Calling her a bitch is down right cunty. Get a grip. Youre making an ass of yourself.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:43 AM   #6988
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Sorry Moar, I'm with Jim here. That was totally OTT.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:13 AM   #6989
morethanpretty

I will repeat myself. I'm not mad about the rescue organization not knowing. I'm mad that they DID know. And told my bil and did that it was fine and the dog no longer had the heart condition. She was from a foster home and was getting regular vet visits. I think it's over the line and cunty to tell a person they're stupid for rescuing a dog from a shelter when breeders apparently adopt out dogs on a regular basis and because they are a breeder they are clearly the smarter choice. That's bullshit, there is no reason to trust an individual over a rescue organization.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:18 AM   #6990
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I don't recall anybody saying that a person is 'stupid' for going for a rescue dog.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
swiss