The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 04-30-2012, 12:39 AM   #1
CaliforniaMama
I wonder . . .

April 29, 2012 Trees that Bleed

Quote:
The tree in these photos is known as the Dragon’s Blood tree and it is a rare type of tree that originates on a small group of four islands in the Indian Ocean. The tree contains a beautiful red sap which is called Dragon’s Blood that has been used as a medicine to treat a variety of ailments and can supposedly increase the potency of witchcraft spells for sexuality, banishing, love, and protection.
From Izismile
CaliforniaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:56 AM   #2
SPUCK
Professor

Safe from A-holes only because they're remote. Don't let the Asians hear about them!

Screwy look'in..
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:20 AM   #3
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Where's the cellar "like" button?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:39 AM   #4
dacliff
Confounded Conjuror

LOL! The first thing I thought of was 2 umbrellas, one just fine and the other turned inside out by the wind.
dacliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:41 AM   #5
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

As Voody Voodpecker said

Quote:
If it bleeeeds, ve can drill it.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:15 AM   #6
glatt

As a kid I watched a Box Elder being cut down. Sometimes they get some sort of disease that makes them have very red pockets of wood. It looked just like the tree was bleeding when the blood red sawdust was shooting out of the chainsaw. And the guy cutting it down made a comment that the tree was bleeding, which made an impression on me. It was cut up for firewood, but now that red wood is prized by woodworkers and is worth money.

Name:  m13u6yy.jpg
Views: 1883
Size:  36.4 KB
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #7
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I remember being somewhat perturbed by blood oranges as a youngster.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:12 AM   #8
toranokaze
I'm still a jerk

Can't your feel the pain of the forest

It is the ignorance of ignorance that lead to the death of knowledge

The Virgin Mary does not weep for her son, for he is in paradise. She weeps for the world , for we are in suffering.
toranokaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:28 AM   #9
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Tropical version of the weirwood?
Attached Images

|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:33 AM   #10
sandypossum
tri-continental dag hag

We have a wood fired stove. Last year Mr Possum (my other half) was splitting some sort of dry eucalyptus logs with a log splitter and blood gushed out. It was about a cup full of it, fresh blood consistency, bright red, and it came from inside the wood. He was really shaken the first time it happened, as he thought there must have been a hollow in it with an animal inside, but it was just some sort of sap. It happened a few times with some other logs in the same batch. Each time it was a fright. Anyone here know what kind of wood it could have been? I live in south eastern Australia, and it probably would have been a local species if that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
I remember being somewhat perturbed by blood oranges as a youngster.
Me, too. I had never seen one till I was 19, on my first trip to Europe (in Germany). The peel was a normal orange colour, then when I stuck my thumb in to peel it, it bled. I pulled a bit of the peel off, and the segment looked just like it was full of blood, with a membrane over it. Gave me the creeps, and I refused to eat any oranges there unless I could be sure it wasn't a blood orange.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:31 PM   #11
Wombat
(marsupial with backward-facing pouch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandypossum View Post
We have a wood fired stove. Last year Mr Possum (my other half) was splitting some sort of dry eucalyptus logs with a log splitter and blood gushed out. It was about a cup full of it, fresh blood consistency, bright red, and it came from inside the wood. He was really shaken the first time it happened, as he thought there must have been a hollow in it with an animal inside, but it was just some sort of sap. It happened a few times with some other logs in the same batch. Each time it was a fright. Anyone here know what kind of wood it could have been? I live in south eastern Australia, and it probably would have been a local species if that helps.
I've had that happen too while splitting logs near Adaminaby in NSW. Probably common, but I don't know what causes it.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #12
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Bleeding trees I don't know from...but this thing came off a cedar tree in mah backyard. At first it was hard and spiky, and then it ended up all gooey and limp. Such is life.

Name:  It Came From a Cedar Tree.jpg
Views: 2037
Size:  93.2 KB

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:16 PM   #13
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

WTF? I thought you be in KY, dude. I didn't know there was also a KY on freaking Jupiter, or on Uranus!
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:06 PM   #14
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Leave my anus outta this.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:06 PM   #15
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Also, leave that outta my anus!!!