The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:13 AM   #1
Griff
still says videotape

Nice safe autonomous cars

I feel like I was safer in my very touchy CJ-7 bitd. I had to be alert and on task.

Tesla Crash
Old 07-10-2016, 11:47 AM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Human error, stupid human sitting there all smug about how his car has everything under control. Neither he nor the car touched the brakes.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:59 AM   #3
Griff
still says videotape

It's human nature to slack off when we're not fully engaged in the task. I had to pull over this morning when a driver disengaged VW van was all over the road behind me crossing the center line rumble strip dropping back surging forward diligently working on the makeup in the mirror while we were doing 55 in a 45 on a Pa back road... Maybe driving should be harder not easier.
Old 07-10-2016, 02:35 PM   #4
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I'm teaching my 18-year-old stepdaughter to drive this summer. It is awful.

Two years from now, I will probably have to do the same for my stepson. But six years from now, when Minifob is 16? It'll be 2022. And Minifobette won't be driving until 2024. I predict that neither one of them will ever really have to learn to drive.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 02:36 PM   #5
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
I feel like I was safer in my very touchy CJ-7 bitd. I had to be alert and on task.
[drift]

Popdigr had a CJ-5. Several inches shorter, and even more tippy.

We put it sideways (not on purpose, wheel caught a rut) on a very steep ridge road (dirt road) once (Once!) and it hip-hopped down that ridge from driver's to passenger's side wheels all the way down. We just knew it was going over at every next hop, but, it didn't. Neither of us shit for a week, assholes were clamped shut.

He traded it off not long after that.

[/drift]

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:11 PM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
I'm teaching my 18-year-old stepdaughter to drive this summer. It is awful.

Two years from now, I will probably have to do the same for my stepson. But six years from now, when Minifob is 16? It'll be 2022. And Minifobette won't be driving until 2024. I predict that neither one of them will ever really have to learn to drive.
Bullshit, how long before all the 250+ million cars out there now are off the road? These self driving wonder cars can't be trusted until that's all there are on the road, and the driver should be competent enough to know when the cars are fucking up, because they are machines and they do fuck up.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:12 PM   #7
Griff
still says videotape

Those CJ-5s were awesomely unsafe.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:53 AM   #8
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Old 07-11-2016, 08:28 AM   #9
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
My ideal autonomous car will be truly autonomous. It will not only fill up its own tank but will also pay for the gas out of its own pocket. It will take care of registering and insuring itself and making its own car payments and appointments at the mechanic's. It will top off the wiper fluid with the good stuff, not that cheap crap that freezes at 20 below, and it will grab me a coffee while it's paying for gas.

It will even run errands for me so I don't have to interrupt my day, and I won't have to remind it to vacuum itself out, hit the car wash, or get detailed once a year.

In the winter it will warm itself up well before I get in and in the summer it will park in the shade or keep the windows open if need be and then remember to close them when it starts to rain. It will keep the glove box tidy, the tire pressure up, the ashtray clean. There will always be change for tolls and parking meters, and the insurance cards and registration will be readily accessible, but not needed because it will be on a first name basis with the local cop cars.

That's an autonomous car. Until then, automakers can shut the fuck up.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:03 AM   #10
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
These self driving wonder cars can't be trusted until that's all there are on the road, ...
They are not 100% perfect. So they cannot be trusted. So we should all still drive Model Ts - since they do not have these problems.

Thank god we have the word troglodyte to protect us from evil innovators.

One person was electrocuted this decade. So we should ban all electricity. Donald Trump said so. It must be true.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:10 AM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Go ask the economist, asshole.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:59 AM   #12
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

this right here is enough to keep one of those cars out of my driveway:

Quote:
There's also a moral dilemma at play, as a driverless vehicle may have to decide which lives to save in the event of a serious accident. A recent study published in the journal Science found that people approve of autonomous vehicles (AV) governed by utilitarian ethics —minimizing the total number of deaths in a crash, even if people in the vehicle were harmed. However, most respondents would not want to ride in those vehicles themselves, Live Science reported.
"The moral dilemma for AV is something that is brand-new ," said study co-author Jean-François Bonnefon, a research director at the Toulouse School of Economics in France. "We're talking about owning an object, which you interact with every day, knowing that this object might decide to kill you in certain situations."
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:09 AM   #13
Beest
Adapt and Survive

Here is an analysis from an SAE discussion group, the vision system used would not pass a basic drivers eye exam.
I can try and download the example pictures if anyone is interested.

Quote:
My concern is the instrumentation is substantially inferior to a human. For instance, the forward looking camera in the Tesla is HD resolution (1280x720) with a wide angle lens that has a 5.6 arc-min resolution per pixel, compared to a human which has 1 arc-min. Or to put in human terms, the Tesla auto-pilot would fail the DMV vision test. I estimate the Tesla has 20/110 vision, or in other words it can see the big E at the top of the eye chart, but will make a couple mistakes on the second line.

In the Florida accident, the Tesla came over the crest of the hill just under 1/2 mile (2250') from the truck. If it were a human driving, when cresting the hill it would be obvious that a large tractor-trailer is crossing in front of them. The human would let off the gas, and give the truck the extra 5 seconds in needed to clear the intersection. But for the computer the truck is a 8x3 pixel blob at 2250'. At 1/4 mile, it's still an unidentifiable blob -- 15x4 pixels, something is there, but not enough data to identify it. At 1/8 mile, there's finally enough data (30x8, 240 pixels) to identify it's a truck in optimal conditions. It's not till 500ft, the computer can clearly identify it's a truck, but the writing/text on the trailer would still be blurry. At 250ft, only the largest letters (>4ft tall) on the trailer would be legible. Not until 100ft, is there any detail. Attached below is a simulation of what a tractor-trailer looks like.
When all vehicles are autonomous they called all be linked, sharing position and velocity data with every vehicle in the vicinity, they wouldn't have to see, but would know where every vehicle is, and where it will be, avoiding an event like this.

Last edited by Beest; 07-11-2016 at 11:18 AM.
Beest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:23 AM   #14
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Unless a cow crosses the street. mooooO!!!
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:52 AM   #15
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The problem is that the Tesla doesn't have LIDAR. When it does it will be able to "see" everything, way better than humans... look for the thingie on top of the roof...

https://techcrunch.com/2016/07/07/a-...und-palo-alto/

...although Musk has said you don't even necessarily need LIDAR to do self-driving vehicles...
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote