The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

View Poll Results: Jackson's Death: How do you feel about it?
Gutted. it's the day the boogie died 0 0%
Saddened. And his poor children... 14 26.42%
Meh. Didn't know him, wasn't into his music 12 22.64%
Unsurprised. Lifestyle choices like that, bound to happen 13 24.53%
Glad. One less kiddy-fiddler to worry about 2 3.77%
Something else (please explain if you can) 12 22.64%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-27-2009, 04:19 PM   #61
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Hearing that he had died was a shock. I'm a bit sad for his family but not quite to tears.

IMO he was a pedophile. No, he was not convicted. What normal man has sleepovers and the like with kids.

Sure, he was "just a nice guy", you say. OK. You keep believing that and my opinon hasn't changed.

To his credit however, I never saw him truly angry. He had become a joke to many people with his legal and financial troubles but never seemed to have anything bad to say about anyone. Never seemed to get mad.

It seems to me that he didn't really have any issues with anyone....but himself ( plastic surgery and all )

Did I miss some fit of outrage at some point?

The timing of his death was also bad. Just before redeeming himself ( professionally anyway ) .

He was a very strange man but I'm sorry to see him pass.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 05:21 PM   #62
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Liked some of his music but since i didn't know him, it doesn't really matter to me that he died. He would have eventually anyway.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:21 PM   #63
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Somone has a sense of humor:
Quote:
GOP Offers ‘Michael Jackson’ Cap & Trade Alternative
by Scott Ott for ScrappleFace · 18 Comments · · Print This Story
(2009-06-27) — Senate Republicans today introduced an “innovative alternative” to the 1,300-page cap-and-trade climate change bill which passed the House 219-212 virtually-unread Friday night as the nation sat transfixed by wall-to-wall coverage of the death of an iconic pop singer.

Supporters said the GOP-sponsored ‘Michael Jackson Energy Act’ will clear away a raft of environmental regulations that currently discourage construction of nuclear power plants, and will spark energy independence while reducing emissions of so-called greenhouse gases.

The 1,897-page Michael Jackson Energy bill includes more than a thousand pages of uninformed speculation about the cause of the performer’s death, gossip about the nature of his relationships with various adults and children, along with sweeping statements about his impact on the history of the world.

The bill includes a DVD tribute to Mr. Jackson, as well as dozens of before-and-after photos of his various bouts with cosmetic surgery. In addition, to a full-length foldout ‘Thriller’ poster, the bill contains several pages of language removing government-imposed barriers to the growth of a thriving private-sector nuclear energy industry.

“Although the substantive bipartisan opposition to the House cap-and-trade bill failed to capture the nation’s attention,” said Sen. Mitch McConnell, R-KY, “we’ve learned from our mistakes, and know how to present our alternative legislation in a way that will matter to the mainstream media.”
Old 06-27-2009, 09:25 PM   #64
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

You know MJ gets far too much credit for Thriller. Quincy Jones produced it, brought in top people to play on it and top engineers to record and mix it. MJ wrote half the songs on it, but you know those songs were fleshed out in the studio. For example, MJ is credited with "Beat It", but he didn't know what guitarist would be brought in to do the signature solo. MJ wrote "Billie Jean" but the engineer created the signature drum sound. Guys from Toto, who were long-time serious studio guys, wrote "Human Nature", and you can tell.

MJ had a remarkable voice at the time, and little vocal signature moves that were genius. He could dance like a mothafucka, and he still had enough shit together to be creative about things like that. I guess if there's no MJ, it's not a phenomenon, but there must be about 100 people who contributed to Thriller and made it what it was. Team effort.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:39 PM   #65
Alibar
Jotter of Notes

He lived a life far removed from mine and I was sorry for him when it was obvious he was mental about his nose. He was so very talented, but, became a freak. Saw a photo of his children. All three are attractive. I liked his music and danced to it many a night back in the day. LOL
Alibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 12:05 AM   #66
FuglyStick
No Redeeming Qualities

We put too much value in the lives of celebrities. Michael Jackson contributed far more than the likes of, say, Anna Nicole Smith, but the media is responsible for blowing both deaths way out of proportion.
FuglyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 04:47 AM   #67
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

That's only cause Farah couldn't dance.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:45 AM   #68
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuglyStick View Post
We put too much value in the lives of celebrities. Michael Jackson contributed far more than the likes of, say, Anna Nicole Smith, but the media is responsible for blowing both deaths way out of proportion.
Sadly, the media is giving the people what they want. If no one paid attention, they wouldn't cover it because no one would be watching.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:45 PM   #69
Flint
Snowflake

thread doubleplus ungood refs unpersons
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:34 PM   #70
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

..you gotta be kiddin me.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:30 AM   #71
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

From here.

Name:  michael-jackson-youtube-views.gif
Views: 160
Size:  22.9 KB
Old 06-29-2009, 08:43 AM   #72
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

My reaction was "Oh! That sucks." And then I moved on.

I was momentarily saddened for his children and family -- as someone said earlier, it's always hard to lose a family member. I think he contributed a fair bit to music and dance, but I've never been a big fan. I hope he's at peace.
Chocolatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:57 AM   #73
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I was watching some videos that were on yesterday. Whether you like that style of dance or not, you can't deny how freaking good he was. He did moves people still can't figure out.

But, I'm a big fan of great dancing, from Fred & Ginger to MJ.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:52 PM   #74
York
Operations Operative

I loved him when i was a kid. ABC, The Wiz, Captain EO , Moonwalker.... All great stuff , full of fantasy like his Neverland. I guess he was a big (rich) kid and people will always try to take bits of that wealth! After "Bad" i found him getting weird and yep.... wacked! But his music was great , wether he made it or just sang it!
The Martin Bashir story shocked the world and more people suspected him on things never proven. I could understand more after the American interview... He just got lived and never had a real youth... But he was a great entertainer and ill miss him!
Old 06-29-2009, 02:02 PM   #75
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

This is a dude who wanted to die.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06282009...ops_176587.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYPost
An autopsy on Michael Jackson revealed that the King of Pop's emaciated body was riddled with needle marks and scars, and his head was virtually bald, it was reported today.

Jackson's body had wasted away to a mere 112 pounds, and his stomach was completely empty except for partially dissolved pills, according to the London Sun.

His hips, thighs and shoulders were covered with needle wounds, believed to have come from shots of painkillers, and he was wearing a wig when he was found because his hair had been reduced to a "peach fuzz" on his scalp, the report said.

"He was skin and bone, his hair had fallen out, and he had been eating nothing but pills when he died," a source close to the singer's entourage told the paper.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote