The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 07-24-2006, 02:43 PM   #91
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Welcome to the Cellar, Brooke.
I found if I read the book, I wouldn't feel bad about missing the movie by being....uh....preocupied.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:19 PM   #92
Iggy
Back and ready to tart up the place

In my experience, the book is always better than the movie. I love movies too, but books are better.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 08:12 PM   #93
Jabbly
Non-Newbie Sort

I can't understand how people can not love to read. I've had a passion for books since I could only look at the pictures. My motto in life has been 'never leave home without a book' and it has served me well.

I always get so sad when I finish a good book. The truely great ones leave me unable to start another for a while cos I'm so deeply involved in the world. Robin Hobb's incredible Farseer Trilogy left me wandering around vaguely for a week trying to find something to fill the void it left in my life
Old 07-24-2006, 08:19 PM   #94
Jabbly
Non-Newbie Sort

I find I always expect the movie to be just like the book, not just the way I imagined it but also have every little part in it. I've enjoyed many movie when I think of them as entirely differrent to the book but have rarelly found one I enjoy as much, or more than, the book.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:13 PM   #95
Hoof Hearted
...you smell something?

The one movie I can think of that I preferred over the book, was Nicholas Evans' "The Horse Whisperer". I felt the book ending was bogus and if he knew horse behavior, cowboy codes-of-conduct and how a REAL horseman is....his book would have had the movie's ending...which I liked MUCH better.
hh
Old 08-02-2006, 12:52 PM   #96
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoof Hearted
The one movie I can think of that I preferred over the book, was Nicholas Evans' "The Horse Whisperer". I felt the book ending was bogus and if he knew horse behavior, cowboy codes-of-conduct and how a REAL horseman is....his book would have had the movie's ending...which I liked MUCH better.
hh

I thought so too Hoof Hearted.
I thought the writer just got bored and gave up. It was the worst and most unrealistic ending I ever read.

I do love books. I cross between a couple genres.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 01:09 PM   #97
Flint
Snowflake

Somewhere in the previous 95 replies, I may have already mentioned that Ayn Rand wrote a decent screenplay of her own novel, The Fountainhead, which produced a decent film starring Gary Cooper. Rand managed to avoid the common problem of the film not having enough time to cover the material in the book by fusing characters and events together while maintaining the spirit of the book. She could do that because her characters and events were just stark symbols in the first place.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 01:15 PM   #98
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

I read some Rand in college. I don't think I agree with her. Her views and Frued I just can't stomach. That said, I didn't know she did a screenplay or any other books.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 02:37 PM   #99
Ibby
erika

I dont agree with a lot that Ayn Rand has to say, but she's a good writer, thats for sure.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:23 PM   #100
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint
Somewhere in the previous 95 replies, I may have already mentioned that Ayn Rand wrote a decent screenplay of her own novel, The Fountainhead, which produced a decent film starring Gary Cooper.
I saw that movie. It was pretty funny.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 03:34 PM   #101
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
It was pretty funny.
Man, that scene at the end, in the quarry, cutting stone! That was the best.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 03:35 PM   #102
Flint
Snowflake

No doubt about it, Gary Cooper is a comedy genius.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 05:34 AM   #103
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I'm like Scout in To Kill A Mockingbird - I wouldn't have said I loved reading when I was little any more than I would have said I loved breathing.

I used to get quite sulky at lunch when I was 9 or 10 because when we ate in the kitchen we had the television on, but I wasn't allowed to read at the table. TV was monitored and limited in my house, but casual meals were always accompanied by the TV because we children argued less then!

If I had books for Christmas my parents would confiscate them until after Boxing Day, otherwise I would hide away and read them, not taking part in the fmaily celebrations.

I probably read about 3 new books a week, taking them out of the library or buying them 2nd hand from our local charity bookshop at £2 each. I'll also reread about 3 or 4 of the favourites I have in the flat - I don't have an awful lot more to do with my time!

My reading age outstripped my comprehension age as a child - I read Joan Aitken's Midnight Is A Place far too young and it haunted me for years - a dark confusing blur of images.

I also sneaked into my Mum's room and read James Herbert's Domain when I didn't have any new books of my own. The description of the nuclear attack on London distressed and sickened me so much, I felt violated and wished I could open up the top of my head and give my brain a wash.

Of course the resilience of youth meant that within a week I was back reading it chapter by chapter when Mum was at work. She shrieked one evening, reading it in the living room, and carried away I said, "Oh have you got to the bit where the arm is chopped off?" Boy was I in trouble.

Oh and to answer a previous question - I have read The Turn of the Screw. It just didn't touch me that much. In fact I've tried it twice - I'm afraid it's just not for me.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 12:06 AM   #104
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

And then there are all those "serious pieces of literature" that don't resonate with you, or are largely misadvertised. Fear Of Flying is not an erotic novel. It is a neurotic novel, with a great many New York City idiots in it.