The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 10-15-2001, 06:09 PM   #31
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Yeah, that's their 3rd album...I heard it's good. "Avant Hard" is their second album. I have their 1st one, "On the Wires of Our Nerves," which is really good.

I think the last thing I heard from Aphex Twin was "Come to Daddy," which is one of the most bizarre videos I've ever seen.

I loved GNR back in the day...and I like Buckethead...but he's no Slash. I wonder if "Chinese Democracy" will ever see the light of day. Axl has gone through so many lineup changes in the past 10 years.

I was watching Conan a few weeks ago...and Slash was the guest musician with the Max Weinberg 7. They talked to Slash at the end of the show...and he looked and sounded great. Very coherent and animated...I guess laying off the smack can do that to you.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2001, 10:18 PM   #32
juju
no one of consequence

<br>
Last summer I ripped all my cds (about 200) to mp3s and burnt them to about 20-25 cds. It's really nice, I have a small cd carrynig case the I can take with me on trips that contains my entire cd collection. The best part is that it doesn't matter if it gets stolen -- I have copies of everything. More and more music appliances are starting to play mp3-cds. I think it's great and I sure hope this trend continues. I had a look at my Spanish teacher's boombox today, and IT played mp3--cds! She said she got it for only $50.
<br>
Anyway, as far as cd's in rotation, I've been listening to 1 cd of about 18 Rush albums. It's either that one, or a cd I have of a bunch of Dream Theater and Yes albums.
<br>
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 12:49 PM   #33
leif
Confounded Conjuror

juju, what brand was it? Where can I get one?!

I havn't found an mp3-cd-player for under $100, and that one was somehwat buggy and VERY slow (skipping tracks could take 10-20 seconds or more).

--

Anyway, I just wanted to mention since this thread started just about all thats been on my playlist at work is Jurassic 5. I've got "J5" and "EP" (don't know if these are the actual album names, just got the two directories of mp3s from a friend) and both are excellent. They've got great beats, and some harmonies that you wouldn't expect from a rap group. It's great stuff.
leif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 06:31 PM   #34
elSicomoro

"EP" and "Quality Control" are the CD titles.

J5 are great...Chali 2na and Cut Chemist used to be in Ozomatli...that's how I heard about them. I like their sound.
Old 10-18-2001, 01:57 AM   #35
juju
no one of consequence

Quote:
Originally posted by leif
juju, what brand was it? Where can I get one?!

I havn't found an mp3-cd-player for under $100, and that one was somehwat buggy and VERY slow (skipping tracks could take 10-20 seconds or more).
I don't know what brand my teacher's boombox was... she told me where she bought it but I don't remember what she said. I practicly freaked out when I saw it and heard the price though. Everyone must've thought I was a complete nut. She even asked me, "What's an mp3-cd?". lol. She'll probably never use it to play mp3-cds. It just happened to be a cheap boombox that was on the shelf when she was looking.

I bought a portable cd player that I use in my car and on the bus to school. It plays mp3's, and I picked it up for $90. Works very well -- it doesn't take more than a fraction of a second to skip to the next track. It does take 30 seconds when you first fire it up, but that's acceptable considering the fact that it can play for 20 hours without stopping. :] It even scrolls the id3 artist and song text across the led while the song is playing.

Its brand is 'Classic', but there are lots of other better brands out there, i'm sure. This was just cheap.

At home I just hook my computer audio out to my stereo's auxiarlly in and fire up XMMS. But I recently bought a DVD player for $130 at Best Buy. I don't remember the model..it's a Samsung. But it plays mp3-cds as well.
Old 10-18-2001, 06:13 AM   #36
jaguar
whig

I use a slightly different but equally effective system, MDs. Not sure how they've caught on over there but ehre they are all the rage. Sony MZ-900, i record the disks direct from the digital optical out on my stearo (which in turn is plugged into my computer), they are re-recordable and the unit is far smaller than a discman.
Fanbloodytastic mate.
Old 10-18-2001, 01:02 PM   #37
juju
no one of consequence

Don't you have to burn minidisks at 1x speed? Doesn't that take forever?
Old 10-18-2001, 05:42 PM   #38
rainman
Non-Newbie Sort

Anything by Nine Inch Nails is always good.
rainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001, 11:00 PM   #39
elSicomoro

Now playing...

Jamiroquai--Travelling Without Moving: I had heard of them before this record, but had never really given them much thought. Then I saw their video for "Virtual Insanity" and picked up the CD. It's a shame they don't get a lot of play here in the States...great band.

Nitzer Ebb--As Is: I didn't get into these guys until after their prime. Though I fondly remember Beavis and Butt-head making fun of their video for "Godhead." This here is just an EP--4 songs mixed by 4 different people: Jaz Coleman (of Killing Joke), Flood, Alan Wilder (of Recoil/Depeche Mode), and Barry Adamson (formerly of the Birthday Party). It was nice little one-off before the "Ebbhead" album came out. My particular fave on this one is "Come Alive." Given that Doug McCarthy may be one of the most sinister singers/songwriters out there, this song makes them sound rather personal.
Old 10-19-2001, 08:20 AM   #40
Chewbaccus
Freethinker/booter

My stereo:

Kottonmouth Kings - "Royal Highness": These guys have to be the best unknown band around. If you don't know them, picture RATM and Beastie Boys fused together, and hell-bent on legalization. RH was their debut album, and their second, "High Society" has them starting to branch into more Rage-ish anti-capitalism lyrics. Bottom line, if you're into RATM, Beastie Boys, or music that makes a statement in general, give Kottonmouth a shot.

~Mike
Old 10-19-2001, 08:50 AM   #41
elSicomoro

Damnit, I'm pissed!!!

You ever have one of those moments when you really want to hear something in particular...and then you can't find the damned CD? I cannot find my Perfect Circle CD anywhere!!! Grrr....

So, Mr. Bungle's self-titled debut will do for the moment...
Old 10-19-2001, 12:27 PM   #42
elSicomoro

For the most part, my CD collection is in alphabetical order. Last night, I added all my new CDs from this year into the collection. So far I am missing three. I fear they are being swallowed up by the mess that is my apartment. The missing are:

Revolting Cocks--"Linger Ficken Good"
A Perfect Circle--"Mer de Noms"
Depeche Mode--"Dream On" single

If you see them, please let me know.

Currently playing:

Reverend Horton Heat--Spend a Night in the Box: Produced by Paul Leary of the Butthole Surfers. Gibby Haynes produced his "The Full-Custom Gospel Sounds of..." album. Now he just needs King Coffey to produce his next record and he'll have utilized the whole band. This is my least favorite of his 6 albums. It just sounds rehashed...in the end, it's alright.

Local H--As Good as Dead: During the 1990s, I got into a lot of bands from Chicago (Ministry, Wax Trax! stuff, Stabbing Westward, Smashing Pumpkins, Wesley Willis), and this is another great one. I'm still a big grunge fan, and this album has some great riffs and a lot of "I'm pissed off and hate you"-type lyrics. Classic.
Old 10-19-2001, 03:52 PM   #43
elSicomoro

Keep in mind...

...that the stereo went out in my car about 4 weeks ago. So home is the only place where I get to listen to music anymore. Other goodies in the stereo over the past few days:

--Underworld: Beaucoup Fish
--Front 242: 06:21:03:11 Up Evil
--Judgment Night soundtrack
--Ministry: Box (a 3-CD German import featuring remixes and non-album tracks from 1985-92)
Old 10-19-2001, 08:22 PM   #44
scampo
Homeskillet

All different stuff

The cd's that I've been listening to lately include:

Slipknot - Iowa
Ozzy Osbourne - Ozzman Cometh
Rage Against The Machine - Evil Empire
American Head Charge - The War Of Art

I picked up American Head Charge at a store when I saw it on the rack next to Slipknot. Looked interesting so I decided to get it. They turned out to be some really great death metal.
scampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 10:35 PM   #45
elSicomoro

The nice section

Anthrax (the band, not the disease) has posted a message on their website, regarding the situation involving their name, and also posted some links for more info regarding the disease. I thought that was really cool of them to do.

Sad as this may be (and no disrespect meant to any victims), every time I heard the word Anthrax today, I immediately thought of an Anthrax song. A friend of mine said the same thing...she just kept thinking of "Bring tha Noize" (with Public Enemy). Strange...thank God I'm not the only one.

Last edited by elSicomoro; 10-19-2001 at 10:45 PM.