The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 02-27-2014, 04:24 PM   #2611
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

I'll have to look for it. I'm always looking for bedtime recreational reading.

My current reading is 'Understanding the US Health Services System, 4th Ed.'; riveting stuff.

Also perusing a new cookbook, even though I don't have the energy to cook these days. I may take up a raw diet from sheer lack of energy.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:27 AM   #2612
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

"Bear Is Broken" by Lachlan Smith (on NookHD+), it was a Friday Freebie.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:40 AM   #2613
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
The Lies of Locke Lamora, by Scott Lynch. Book 1 in the Gentlemen Bastards sequence

Listening to the audiobook - excellent story, with brilliant narrator. Best fantasy novel I've read/heard since Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy.

Laugh out loud funny in places, but with the occasional punch to the guts too. I;ve laughed and cried. Finding it very difficult to switch off and sleep at night!
Now that's weird, because I thought you recommended the Gentlemen Bastards to me.
Unless you did and it's only the audiobook that's new to you.

Just finished More Awkward Situations for Men by journalist and occasional talking-head Danny Wallace. From the library, I wouldn't have bought it as it is a piece of froth. Funny froth though, in sippy mouthfuls. And pretty much every mini-chapter (think article, really|) made me laugh out loud, some really quite hard.

And He's Always Watching by Chevy Stevens (female, unexpectedly.)
I wanted to see how it ended, and it was engaging, but again I'm glad it was from the library. No great writing or insight. A good travel read.

Just started what I think might be a teen book about zombies. Meh. Kills time. And eats it.

Last edited by Sundae; 02-28-2014 at 11:48 AM.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:05 PM   #2614
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
Now that's weird, because I thought you recommended the Gentlemen Bastards to me.
Don't think so. Unless I talked about it the last time we spoke. It's a new one on me! But its like 23 hours on audiobook, so I've bene listening to it on and off for a couple of weeks.

Just finished actually, and am on the second one in the sequence now (no audible credits left and put membership on hold for a while so *cough* piratebookbay *cough*) [/quote]

Quote:
Just started what I think might be a teen book about zombies. Meh. Kills time. And eats it.
By whom?
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:24 PM   #2615
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Undead, by Kirsty McKay.
Probably won't finish it.

Reading poetry instead.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:33 PM   #2616
DanaC

Ahh. yeah i tried that but thought it was a bit pants. Mark Tufo's Zombie Fallout is much more fun :P

Also he wrote an excellent zombie series for young readers all from the perspective of a dog called Riley.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:42 PM   #2617
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Did you ever read the Chaos Walking trilogy by Patrick Ness?
Bloody good. And has a good dog in it.

My gift to you, intellectually speaking. Although you may lay claim to my Dragon Book of Verse, except it only has post-it notes in it; I never got the chance to annotate this version.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:34 PM   #2618
DanaC

Oooh. That title is familiar.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:37 PM   #2619
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoc View Post
I'm always looking for bedtime recreational reading.
I saw what you did there.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:23 PM   #2620
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

Just finished The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty. The cover and the title make it sound like fluffy chick-lit, but it's a lot more than that. It's about secrets, moral responsibility, vengeance, relationships. How well do you know your spouse? Can good people do very bad things? Funny and sad and a quick read. Highly recommend it.
Chocolatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:14 PM   #2621
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Hey Choco, long time no see!
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:12 AM   #2622
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Reading "Beyond the Pale" an autobiography/ history of The Sierra Nevada brewing company.

Very interesting look into the insane amount of effort, luck, self sacrifice that went into growing that brewery.

Enough industry info to give context to non experts but not so much that it drags.

I give it two pints up.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:28 PM   #2623
DanaC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post

It occurs to me that you may be thinking of Luck in the Shadows. Similar kind of themes, with thievery and chicanery, and also a series of books.

I enjoyed the first of that series, but fell off halfway through the second. Seemed a bit one paced after a while, and a little too light.

The Gentlemen Bastards series has held me completely. I'm halfway through book 3 now and wishing that the fourth was out already!

Much more depth to it and a lot more of a mix of dark and light. Laugh out loud funny in places, but has also had me in tears a few times. Ya know, the kind of fantasy story that gets properly under your skin. The names of places and peoples have as much resonance as real world places and peoples, because the cultures are so well drawn. And I can't remember the last time I fell so in love with a cast of characters.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:54 PM   #2624
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Oh you deffo sent me Luck in the Shadows.
But the Gentlemen Bastards have an underground lair (no spoilers) and although the young lad conscripted also has to learn heaps about correct manners the tone is very different.

I probably just assumed I read it because of you, because it's intelligent fantasy.

Just read Pegg's autobiography.
Although his voice comes through strongly he is too guarded. Should've written it later in life when more people were dead. Although there is an episode with a farting teacher that made me cry with laughter for minutes.

Reading The Fields by Kevin Maher. Funny and horrible in turn. Dark story of an Irish childhood (a novel, not misery-lit), interesting to see where it goes, only halfway through.

Learned that Saidhbh is pronounced Sive (rhymes with hive) which I almost worked out, but Googled just to be sure (only to have it explained in the very next chapter)
I have a limited but better than average knowledge of Irish names simply from going to a convent with Irish nuns and fellow pupils.

I would run a sweepstake on how to pronounce Eaghdheanaghdh, but given we have no Irish speakers here I'd be far too suspicious if anyone got it right. I didn't have a fecking clue, bejesus.
FTR both the above are names from the same family, "her Father's dead proud of being Irish so he... makes his kids spell their names with as many 'bh's and 'dh's as possible.".
Old 03-07-2014, 08:28 PM   #2625
monster
I hear them call the tide

The book Thief. Just started it.

Tags
books