FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 05-28-2007, 09:56 AM   #16
Flint
Snowflake

a whole different discussion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Until they can turn out perfect clones at will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
It's funny you should say that Bruce, because that's obviously the only way to determine it. Of course, that's a whole different discussion.
Genetic clones would not experience identical developmental conditions in the womb; for example cloned house pets aren't even necessarily the same color as the animal they are a "duplicate" of, because their hair color is influenced by nutritional conditions during development. There is also epigenetics, IE the expression of genes, which is influenced by environmental factors (and btw has also been proven to be hereditary in some cases). What I'm saying is that the concept of creating "copies" of living organisms is a myth. Genes alone are not a concrete blueprint.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 01:08 PM   #17
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I disagree with the basic premise that parenting does not have an effect on the grown adult.

For example I know that myself and my siblings have a deep rooted "don't disturb the neighbours" attitude instilled in us by our mother. In me, this evidences itself as a belief that other people's opinions and happiness are more important than mine, and their opinion of me is the most important benchmark in my life. I live in terror of being judged harshly by the outside world and it has affected my job choices as well as general day to day life.

It was when I met a beautiful, witty, kind and generally all round great person who told the same stories as me and had the same ridiculously low opinion of herself that I realised perhaps this was a shared element in our pasts. Yup - her Mum was exactly the same (at least in that regard). Her story was complicated by a divorce, a natural father that showed no interest and a stepdad who had to be pleased at all costs, but I could certainly see parallels in our approach to the world.

I'm not blaming my Mum for my problems - I know my Nan instilled the same attitude in her - but I definitely believe that the values were taught and not endemic.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:54 PM   #18
Ibby
erika

If nurture didnt matter I'd be listening to emopop-mallpunk right now rather than classic rock.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:07 PM   #19
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram View Post
If nurture didnt matter I'd be listening to emopop-mallpunk right now rather than classic rock.
hehehe quite right! My kid is your age and loves classic rock too.

I didn't have anything to do with him learning the guitar. Us parents can take the credit for everything good.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 01:52 AM   #20
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
Genetic clones would not experience identical developmental conditions in the womb; for example cloned house pets aren't even necessarily the same color as the animal they are a "duplicate" of, because their hair color is influenced by nutritional conditions during development. There is also epigenetics, IE the expression of genes, which is influenced by environmental factors (and btw has also been proven to be hereditary in some cases). What I'm saying is that the concept of creating "copies" of living organisms is a myth. Genes alone are not a concrete blueprint.

Fair enough Flint. The point was and still is, that it's pretty much impossible to ever really know the truth because it's an impossible experiment to conduct.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:20 AM   #21
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Fair enough Flint. The point was and still is, that it's pretty much impossible to ever really know the truth because it's an impossible experiment to conduct.
Oh, yeah. Apologies for the tangent. Your point was and still is a very good one. Carry on...
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 10:11 PM   #22
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Don't tell that to psychologists and sociologists. There have been plenty of studies and research done on the conduct of human behavior and situations that set up the eliciting of a response.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:32 AM   #23
Aliantha

Well, as sociologists can't even agree on what the 'definition' of culture is, I think they'll have a long way to go before they sort this one out.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:14 AM   #24
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

I am a strong supporter of social factors. I have seen many people, including myself, change personalities and their view on life just from hanging out with different people.

Genetics still plays a role, some people will be independant no matter who they hang out with, some people will be leeches no matter they hang out with. It depends on the person usually...
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 11:59 AM   #25
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
I am a strong supporter of social factors. I have seen many people, including myself, change personalities and their view on life just from hanging out with different people.

Genetics still plays a role, some people will be independant no matter who they hang out with, some people will be leeches no matter they hang out with. It depends on the person usually...
I would agree with that fully.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:19 AM   #26
The Eschaton
Vivacious Vivisectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post

sort of, its still surprising how identical those identical twins come out even raised in totally different circumstances. And im not saying environment does not play a role. Everyones misinterpreting this as a nature over nurture post. All it really says is that "parenting" (things like let them cry, pick them up, how much attention, authoritarian or permissive) pretty much anything beyond having s decent relationship with a parent, doesn't really play a role. Now if your parents are wealthy that plays a huge role in how you come out. ALso there are several studies out there that the kids real environment is peers and not parents. Peers determine how you come out.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:56 AM   #27
Aliantha

There's plenty of evidence to suggest pretty much any side of this multi-sided argument.

There's no doubt peers have a profound effect on the thoughts and habits of the group.

There's also no doubt that different styles of parenting effect a childs world view.

There's also no doubt that genetics play a big role too.

The thing there is doubt about is how much influence each of these factors have.

I would say that research suggests that the answer is, it depends on what stage of life the child/young adult is at.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:20 AM   #28
The Eschaton
Vivacious Vivisectionist

Quote:
There's plenty of evidence to suggest pretty much any side of this multi-sided argument.

There's no doubt peers have a profound effect on the thoughts and habits of the group.

There's also no doubt that different styles of parenting effect a childs world view.

There's also no doubt that genetics play a big role too.

The thing there is doubt about is how much influence each of these factors have.

I would say that research suggests that the answer is, it depends on what stage of life the child/young adult is at.
I agree with you except for the one highlighted. I strongly doubt that, both from personal observation and the fact of the ladies artcle i referenced that there is no positive support for that supposition. Now i know these studies are statistical in nature but what it seems to indicate (and no i have not read the original studies and not about to, that statistical analysis makes my eyes glaze.) is that researchers find little support for the idea that parenting style has an influence on how a kid turns out. Where as things like wealth and peers have a big influence.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:42 AM   #29
Aliantha

As I said, it's a combination of many factors. I believe it would be slightly dangerous to suggest that parents have no influence at all.

From my perspective, I know my parents influenced the way I turned out in many ways. I wouldn't be who I am today if I had had different parents. I think most people would say that.

Sometimes it's a great idea to look at yourself and think about your own influences and there you'll find the answer.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:58 AM   #30
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

I don't know, I have seen studies that suggest kids do turn out differently according to parenting style. I can't just get myself to believe that a kid will turn out the same if his or her parents ignore him or her as if the same kid had parents that were watching and regulating his or her every move.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote