The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 11-10-2011, 01:18 PM   #46
henry quirk
maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

"not a moral distinction"

In the sense that there is no absolute or universal morality to consult or rely on.

That is: I have a 'morality' that is idiosyncratic to me, based on my valuing of this or that, but that's just 'me'. I’m not arrogant enough to assume my way is the right way for any one else, or that my way has a root any place other than in 'me'.

#

"...collapse the numerous posts and thoughts..."

I did no such thing...I barely commented on any one's post (except for Dana's and JB's), beyond saying you lot are on target.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:27 PM   #47
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Nothing I said disagrees with any of that.

You were asking where morality comes from. I answered with what i believe to be its ancient and biological origin. You didn't ask where likes and dislikes come from. And looking at a scan of your brain activity whilst you eat pizza won;t tell you why you like pizza or where those preferences come from. But a scan of your brain chemistry taken whilst you are subjected to a number of 'moral' situations or queries will show activity in particular parts of the brain. Parts of the brain which develop at particular ages and without full function, result in humans who have difficulty in connecting their actions with potential moral consequences, and in inhibiting, or self-policing their actions.

The human brain has evolved in particular ways and performs a range of functions, some of which we share with other primates, others of which we don't. Social behaviour (which some would argue is the absolute root of morality) is something we do share with primates. There is an argument that can be made which draws an evolutionary path from primate sociability, to human (and moral) sociability.

Now: unless I have said that this is all there is to the understanding of morality, or what it is to be human, then it is not reductionist to recognise this part of the whole picture.

What is reductionist is to dismiss every opinion that you don't share as either wrong, or a sign of 'laziness' in thinking.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:28 PM   #48
DanaC

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry quirk View Post
In the sense that there is no absolute or universal morality to consult or rely on.

That is: I have a 'morality' that is idiosyncratic to me, based on my valuing of this or that, but that's just 'me'. I’m not arrogant enough to assume my way is the right way for any one else, or that my way has a root any place other than in 'me'.

#

"...collapse the numerous posts and thoughts..."

I did no such thing...I barely commented on any one's post (except for Dana's and JB's), beyond saying you lot are on target.
According to what measure? Whose target? Who made you lord high arbiter of what is or is not factually correct about morality?

All you've put forward is some airy-fairy pseudo-philosphical ramblings about how all morality is essentially a construct in our own minds. Well, whoop de frikken do. Hold the front page. Ain't nobody ever had that thought before. Your understanding of morality is just that. Your understanding. It is not for you to measure how correct the rest of us are.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:37 PM   #49
henry quirk

"Nothing I said disagrees with any of that."

Then, as I say up-thread, I misinterpreted...my apologies.

#

"Who made you lord high arbiter of what is or is not factually correct about morality?"

No one. This is thread of opinion (having one, defending one, disagreeing with others)...sorry if you didn't get that.

#

"Your understanding of morality is just that. Your understanding. It is not for you to measure how correct the rest of us are."

Yes, exactly...as I say up-thread, 'I have a 'morality' that is idiosyncratic to me, based on my valuing of this or that, but that's just 'me'. I’m not arrogant enough to assume my way is the right way for any one else, or that my way has a root any place other than in 'me'.'

This can be said for my opinion as to the 'source' of morality as well...sorry if you didn't get that.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:48 PM   #50
DanaC

Quote:
"
"Who made you lord high arbiter of what is or is not factually correct about morality?"

No one. This is thread of opinion (having one, defending one, disagreeing with others)...sorry if you didn't get that.

#

"Your understanding of morality is just that. Your understanding. It is not for you to measure how correct the rest of us are."

Yes, exactly...as I say up-thread, 'I have a 'morality' that is idiosyncratic to me, based on my valuing of this or that, but that's just 'me'. I’m not arrogant enough to assume my way is the right way for any one else, or that my way has a root any place other than in 'me'.'

This can be said for my opinion as to the 'source' of morality as well...sorry if you didn't get that.
Then referring to some posters as being 'on the money' or 'on target' is perhaps just some unfortunate phrasing. It certainly gives the impression that you are sitting in judgement as to which of the opinions expressed in this thread are the 'correct' ones.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:54 PM   #51
henry quirk

"unfortunate phrasing"

Indeed...what I should have said, 'Many of the responses in this thread (with the exception of two, and, before it degraded into a 'sexy party') are right on the money, in my opinion, so I'll leave those be.'

As this 'is' an opinion thread, it seemed redundant to write 'in my opinion' as preface or justification for things posted here.

My mistake.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:00 PM   #52
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Ohhhh, secksy party. Me love you long time. Thread drift makes me HOT. pant pant drool drool.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:07 PM   #53
DanaC

Quote:
Indeed...what I should have said, 'Many of the responses in this thread (with the exception of two, and, before it degraded into a 'sexy party') are right on the money, in my opinion, so I'll leave those be.'

As this 'is' an opinion thread, it seemed redundant to write 'in my opinion' as preface or justification for things posted here.

My mistake.
:p

All threads in the Cellar are 'opinion' threads, essentially.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:19 PM   #54
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:31 PM   #55
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

IMHO, my username contains the word "sex"; therefore, I should be the sole arbiter of morality in this thread. I decree that henceforth we shall live and let live excepting that DanaC and JBKlyde shall not be permitted to have children together since the resulting offspring would be genetically predisposed to morally cancel itself out and any morality is better than no morality at all, IMHO.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:34 PM   #56
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Dana and I shall splice our eggs (or somesuch) and have perfect babies.
To be raised by Clod.

And here starts a new wave of evolution.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:38 PM   #57
Lamplighter

Yea, the Morning Show goes on ! Past noon no less. Yea again
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:52 PM   #58
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
Dana and I shall splice our eggs (or somesuch) and have perfect babies.
To be raised by Clod.

And here starts a new wave of evolution.
That trinity would give rise to the most important woman in the universe. Brilliant!
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:08 PM   #59
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Then referring to some posters as being 'on the money' or 'on target' is perhaps just some unfortunate phrasing. It certainly gives the impression that you are sitting in judgement as to which of the opinions expressed in this thread are the 'correct' ones.
That's exactly right! 100%! Truth!
Old 11-10-2011, 03:09 PM   #60
infinite monkey

This thread is lousy with shitmen and shitwomen.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote