The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 05-24-2011, 09:53 AM   #2071
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
I just started that [Room]yesterday. I went to the bookstore. My brother had given me a gift certificate that he had for christmas, over the weekend. Would've been better had I remembered to take it to the store.

So far it's interesting.
You must be done with it by now, what did you think?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:59 AM   #2072
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

I liked it. She did a good job with the narration.

I'm not one to like a story all tied up in neat little bows, but I would have liked more in-depth with the family relationships...the "before" of the event. She alluded to the relationship with her mother, but I think there could have been more to that aspect. Maybe a bit more about the background of Old Nick, and the "event." (Trying for non-spoilers.)

@ Bri, not seeing it at the college on the online search. Maybe I'll look around for it at lunch. I don't expect my 'brary to get it anytime soon: the voters DID pass the levy this time (YAY) but the funding doesn't go into effect right away I don't think. As it is, they have signs asking for copies of new books to offset funding cuts.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:10 AM   #2073
glatt

The narration was my favorite part. I liked the matter of fact way the kid would describe things we would find horrific and/or really fascinating.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:13 AM   #2074
infinite monkey

In my mind I sort of parallel the narration with Flowers for Algernon, the writing in a voice that is completely different from your own voice. It's hard to do well. She nailed it!
Old 05-27-2011, 09:34 AM   #2075
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I started Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood yesterday.

I'm underwhelmed.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:36 AM   #2076
infinite monkey

So Much for That by Lionel Shriver.

As always, I like it...I think she's the bomb.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:25 AM   #2077
wolf
lobber of scimitars

It's official. I despised Oryx and Crake. Useless piece of preachy crap.

I am starting In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson.

He wrote Devil in the White City, which I loved, and Thunderstruck, which I at least kind of liked, although the story wasn't anywhere near as exciting as Devil in the White City.

This one is about the experiences of an American Family that goes to Berlin in the early 1930s. There usually seem to be two elements to Larsen's stories, so Hitler's early years in power is one piece, not sure what the other will be yet. I've only just finished the prologue.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 06-17-2011, 08:41 PM   #2078
wolf
lobber of scimitars

In the Garden of Beasts never really took off, despite several opportunities to keep the story interesting. Hell, he did two chapters on the Night of the Long Knives without calling it that. And there's cool stuff that gets alluded to, but dropped without further comment. Oh well.

Now rereading The Colour of Magic for an online bookclub.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:06 AM   #2079
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

LOTS recently!
I'll try to remember them. They come from a new friend (from work! A real flesh and blood and living in my town friend!) who has tastes that overlap with mine. We both like magic, fantasy, vampires, faerie et al, but she's into more whimsical stuff and doesn't like graphic sex or violence, torture, murder, mayhem and general seediness. As I looked through my book collection to return the favour, I realised my most treasured books contain all of that and more. I really wanted to lend her my Sandman graphic novels, as she is a Gaiman fan, but the first one features serial killers and a complete bloodbath in a diner and a nightmare called The Corinthian who has mouths for eyes, and likes to eat other people's... Thought it might be a bit much for her...

Anyway
The Lies of Locke Lamora - Scott Lynch
First of the Gentlemen Bastards trilogy. Adored it. Funny, sly, well rounded characters - even if they are too clever for their own good. There are various deaths throughout the book, and you care about each one. I kept expecting a deus ex machina, but none turned up. Set in a different world, magic is possible, but only rarely available, and paid for in good hard cash. Theieves and gangs and politics and downright swash-0buckling are all in evidence. I'll be asking her for the other two.

The Amulet of Samarkand - Jonathan Stroud
A teen book, but well plotted and highly enjoyable. Abo9ut a boy and "his" demon. Again, I thought he must be able to weasel his way out of some off the misfortunes that befall him, but some he simply does have to take on the chin. Set in London (mostly) which has undergone a dramatic change as magic is now commonplace among the rich and powerful. The non-magical and poor are beginning to make a stand - I expect to see more of that in later books. A good fun read - kept me interested.

Lion Boy - Zizou Corder
Was okay. A bit simplistic, but again it is a teen book. The story ticked over nicely, but there were some glaring plot holes and other parts where I thought, "But what about....? Surely if....?" Written by a mother and daughter (young daughter) it does have the breathless "and then!" feeling of a child's imagination. The hero is young and mixed race, so that's a welcome change - given the amount of mixed race (dual heritage?) children they need to have more books which include their "issues" as simply part of the text. I'll read the next one just to see what happens.

Blackberry Wine and Chocolat - Joanne Harris
I've avoided her for years, thinking she wrote chicklit, and also getting her mixed up with Jeanette Winterson for some reason. She is a real find. The books are sweet and simple and generally set in France. The two I've read end up in the same village. It is our world, and our time, but there is a whisper of magic, or other-worldly things being possible. I wouldn't buy her books, but I would look them up in the library to pass an afternoon with. When I get round to paying my library fine that is

And am currently reading Warhorse by Michael Morpurgo.
I didn't realise it was a children's book. It's good, but I can't feel anything for it. It's just trots along, despite the horrific setting (WWI). I'd so love to see it on stage though. This one I borrowed from school.

Oh that reminds me, I'm working my way through the Percy Jackson series. Ticked off the first two, looking for the next one at school. I should love it, but it just a bit meh. Again - plot holes you could drive Phaeton's chariot through. Still, a bit of fun.

Honestly can't remember the previous armful I borrowed. If I do, I'll come back and let you know.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:19 AM   #2080
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I might give that Gentleman Bastards trilogy a go, it sounds wicked!

I am currently reading Transition, by Iain Banks. very strange book, as most of his are. Set in the real world, but with infinite parrellel worlds, and a bunch of characters who can hop about between them inhabiting the bodies of similar people. It's a strange mystery/thriller played out accross multiple realities, with compelling and well-drawn characters.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:23 AM   #2081
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I think you'd like it. It's quite lite, but in a rollicking good way.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:30 AM   #2082
DanaC

If you like a little whimsy in your fiction, I can highly recommend anything by Tom Holt.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:35 AM   #2083
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Ooh yes - Wiki says I will likey.
I'll check the Oxfam bookshop.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:40 AM   #2084
DanaC

Particular faves in no particular order:

Flying Dutch
Expecting Someone Taller
Who's Afraid of Beowulf?
Falling Sideways
Only Human

An absolute must for all Holt fans:

The whole of the J.W.Wells series:

1. The Portable Door
2. In Your Dreams
3. Earth, Air, Fire and Custard
4. You Don't Have to be Evil to Work Here, But it Helps
5. The Better Mousetrap
6. May Contain Traces of Nuts

These are best read in order, so might be worth ordering from the library.

Am really looking forward to his new one:

Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Sausages
Old 06-18-2011, 10:06 AM   #2085
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

A Discovery of Witches - light, but fun. I'm about half-way done.

Saxons, Vikings, and Celts - the genetic roots of Britain and Ireland by Bryan Sykes.
Really excellent, FUN read. You learn a lot but it doesn't feel like scholarly work. V. readable.

Seven Daughters of Eve - same author. Too much about the science - rather boring.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books