The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 11-21-2009, 02:41 AM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Nov 21, 2009: 115,000 Joints

Joints, cigarettes made of pot, reefer, marijuana.

Quote:
When you think of the world's most prolific pot smokers, certain names come to mind: Snoop, Cheech and Chong, Willie Nelson.
How about Irvin Rosenfeld?
The 56-year-old Fort Lauderdale stockbroker will put his name among the greats when he sets a world record tomorrow for weed consumption while lighting up his 115,000th joint.

Quote:
Rosenfeld's pot has been provided by the government since 1982, when he became a patient in the Federal Drug Administration's Investigational New Drug Program.
Rosenfeld suffers from a rare bone disorder called multiple congenital cartilaginous exostoses, which causes severe pain, alleviated by a healthy dose of ganja.
He's been getting 300 joints every 25 days for the past 27 years, and said he smokes between 10 and 12 per day.

"The first thing I do every morning is smoke two joints as I watch my business shows," Rosenfeld said. "Then another on my drive to work."
Rosenfeld said he's never gotten high on the sticky icky, and he's allowed to smoke while operating heavy machinery.
Nope, I'd rather not be eligible for that program.

Quote:
Not getting high also means no late-night trips to Taco Bell.
"No munchies, no munchies, nothing other people get," Rosenfeld insists. "A lot of patients don't get high."
And the ones that Unc-Sam gives you, don't do anything at all...

Oh, by the way, that Federal Program ended in 1992, but 4 people were grandfathered, including Irv.

link
Via
Old 11-21-2009, 05:05 AM   #2
Adak
Lecturer

Can you imagine the tar build up in his lungs?

Just regular cigarette smokers wind up with black lungs, and weed is substantially higher in tar than tobacco is.

If you ever want to stop smoking, just watch a video where they remove a smoker's lung for any reason - although removing it due to lung cancer is an especially nice touch.

You'll have no motivational difficulties quitting, after that.
Adak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 05:14 AM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

On the company website at work, they profiled a guy that was bragging, to anyone who would listen, how he quit chewing tobacco after 30 years. Proud as punch and preaching the word.

Actually a dental tech cleaning his teeth, told him he should see a doctor about his gums. The Doctor said quit now and 99% no cancer, or keep chewing and 100% chance of mouth cancer. Some choice.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:01 AM   #4
Cloud

this guy needs a Silver Surfer.

also, if it doesn't get you high, how does it relieve your pain? (shakes head)

Last edited by Cloud; 11-21-2009 at 10:40 AM.
Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:54 AM   #5
Tawny
Named After the Family Dog

I love how this guy is The Chosen One.

There are millions of people probably in worse pain and /or who have debilitating illnesses that live in fear of arrest.

He won the Mary Jane Lotto.
Tawny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:01 AM   #6
Griff
still says videotape

I assume government dope is to Hawaiin Sativa what government cheese is to Roquefort.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:43 AM   #7
janet
Lead Subordinate

A very close friend is on jaw dropping amounts of morphine/codeine. He's maxed on benzos like xanax too. It still doesn't kill all the pain.

He sleeps a lot, but when he's up, he's completely alert, drives, and has never once experienced any kind of 'high'.

I took one of his vicodins once after a dentist visit and spent the next 4 hours smiling at the ceiling. Go figure.

Since the pain is partly muscle spasms, I think a little marijuana might go a long way in helping his pain and reducing his other meds - until they put him in jail for it.
janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 02:11 PM   #8
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I was chatting with an ER doc the other night. We've never met, but we speak on the phone a lot.

It was an awful night (in terms of busy-ness) for both of us, so we were engaging in some non-work related talk before getting on with business.

His brother is an ER physician in California, and treated the first case of harm related to medical marijuana use in the state ... apparently some poor schmuck with a prescription for medical marijuana bragged about it in the wrong context. Two guys broke into his house, stole his government-grown weed, and beat the crap out of him with his own bong, which, I am told, was made of very heavy glass (having broken more than one bong in college, that must have been bong-zilla or something).

I think we'll see a lot more of that in the future.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 03:11 PM   #9
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
also, if it doesn't get you high, how does it relieve your pain? (shakes head)
Completely different issures (apols if you're joking)
In the same way sensations are different depending on whether you eat or smoke dope.

A friend of a friend introduced me to a lady with MS who was sick & tired of "friends" asking for a sample of her home-grown plants. She always refused, terrified even to allow a single joint to be smoked because she might be prosecuted as a dealer if someone witnessed against her. In reality she only even used it for cooking and for herself.

No idea what happened to her, but I hope she's still growing and cooking.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:18 PM   #10
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

♪ I smoke two joints in the morning
I smoke two joints at night,
I smoke two joints in the afternoon
and it makes me feel alright ♫
♪ I smoke two joints in time of peace
and two in time of war
I smoke two joints before I smoke two joints
and then I smoke two more ♫
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 04:19 PM   #11
Cloud

ha! you beat me to it, UT!
Old 11-21-2009, 04:23 PM   #12
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It's all I could think of when I saw the guy holding up two joints. And then you read the story and he says
Quote:
"The first thing I do every morning is smoke two joints as I watch my business shows," Rosenfeld said.
♫ I smoke two joints for morning business shows
And two more driving to work
I smoke two joints in front of Congress
and two more in front of their clerks ♪
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 05:01 PM   #13
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

Thanks UT.
That's the great thing about pot.
Even a typical, thoughtful IotD discussion about it can give you the giggles.
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 05:38 PM   #14
Cloud

he cheated though. He didn't have to roll them all.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:59 PM   #15
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
On the company website at work, they profiled a guy that was bragging, to anyone who would listen, how he quit chewing tobacco after 30 years. Proud as punch and preaching the word.

Actually a dental tech cleaning his teeth, told him he should see a doctor about his gums. The Doctor said quit now and 99% no cancer, or keep chewing and 100% chance of mouth cancer. Some choice.
In a sense, this was good doctoring, since it caused the patient to stop chewing tobacco, but it is also medical-grade bullshit. Chewing tobacco for 30 years gives him only a 1% chance of cancer, but if he chews for a few more years it rises to 100%? As if.

Interesting question: should a doctor lie to a patient if it is in the patient's interests (as the doctor perceives them)?

And as for medical cannabis (please, "marijuana" is a Mexican slang term) it is quite possible to deliver metered doses of THC via an inhaler as is done with asthma medications. This eliminates almost all of the tar and other carcinogens.

: shakes head sadly at entrenched dogmatic stupidity :