The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

View Poll Results: have you had a run-in with DWI/DUI (they're the same in Tx.)
yes but never convicted 2 6.90%
yes and i was convicted 5 17.24%
absolutely not 20 68.97%
i'm offended you asked. 2 6.90%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-09-2005, 07:40 PM   #1
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

DWI poll part deux

just curious about the DWI poll. yeah, but never convicted.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:31 PM   #2
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I am both very careful, and very lucky.

I do my major consumption of intoxicants at the two days of bacchanalia known as Plastic Forks. (June 25 and 26, 2005 gang!!)

If I am to be in charge of a motor vehicle I have a self-imposed two-drink limit.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 09:08 AM   #3
mrnoodle
bent

not convicted, but pled guilty and got a deferred sentence and a bunch of classes and community service. I guess that falls under "convicted" for the purpose of this poll.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:13 AM   #4
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Not convicted (refused breathalizer) was found guilty of 'failure to maintain distance'. No record. Lucky--very, very lucky I didn't hurt anyone. I'll never do that again. Cost a bunch, too. 300 to bail me out, 1200 for the lawyer, 300 court costs and a 60 day suspension of my driver's license (automatic since refused breathalizer.)

dumb, dumb, dumb.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 09:43 AM   #5
mrnoodle
bent

How's the sobriety, Bri?
Old 05-10-2005, 02:08 PM   #6
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

On day TEN of sober living, and while its nothing like Martha Stewart Living, at least it's living in my house and not the pokey, wearing my own clothes and not jail-issued scrubs with ID wrist bands, white sox and those stupid shower shoes for everywhere you go. Scheduling conference is next Monday, 9:30. Defender thinks 1-2 years of probabtion and most assurredly a fare-well to the license for that amount of time, too.
I need a job!! Any job!! Full time and flexible enough so that when I have to report to the PO, I'll be free to do that....worra, worra, worra...m-m-must l-live in t-t-today!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 02:10 PM   #7
lookout123
changed his status to single

recruiter in medical staffing agency.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:32 PM   #8
glatt

I agree with lookout on this one. It makes good sense.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 02:33 PM   #9
lookout123
changed his status to single

if that doesn't work... lounge singer. i always thought that would be cool.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:53 PM   #10
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

yeah i now have an imposed 2 drink maximum if i'm driving, if that at all. $1000 bail bond that cost $250 or $350, not sure my sister hasn't told me what i owe her, no court costs b/c i won the case and the lawyer - $1500 smackaroos. and i have to say that the booking process is a Loooooooong drawn out process in harris county. countless room switches, rednecks with SMS (short man syndrome) and just plain mean guards, well, there was one that was cool with me in the classification process. heh! he asked me if i was in a gang and if i was he was surprised to see that i have a right to carry license. i countered with "how many gang members do you know that are commercial pilots?" he chuckled on that one, and said none. haha, the computer had in there that i was a member of the "east side 45's" and to prove that i wasn't i had to show him my side and the fact that i didn't have the moniker tatoo of a colt 45 on my side at the waist band. hehe. me. a gang member. roflmao!

lookout's got a good point there on the medical staffing gig. of course you could lounge sing at night too
Old 05-11-2005, 02:38 PM   #11
cowhead
halve your cake and eat it too.

like Mrnoodle I just plead guilty and did my time.. well I did get caught red-handed.. well red faced anyway. although I usually just walk if I'm going to be doing any serious drinking.. I only live 6 blocks from my usual watering hole. So I wasn't thinking that day (my mother had just been diagnosed with cancer, that had spread pretty far by the time they caught it.. so I felt the need to get shitty.. although I really ought not have driven.. what's that about judgement being impared?)
Old 05-12-2005, 02:29 AM   #12
Iggy
Back and ready to tart up the place

I think I learned my lesson through my family. My Dad has had 2 DUIs and my sister has had 1 DUI. None of that for me, thank you very much! If I will be driving, no drinking for me at all. I always arrange to stay somewhere so I don't have to drive. Too risky...
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 02:52 AM   #13
Gwennie!
Not Female at Birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy
I think I learned my lesson through my family. My Dad has had 2 DUIs and my sister has had 1 DUI. None of that for me, thank you very much! If I will be driving, no drinking for me at all. I always arrange to stay somewhere so I don't have to drive. Too risky...
You are wise. Very few folks can learn from other people's mistakes. I went thru a sobriety period for about 8 months, then decided to try the moderation thing again. That's been working for the last year.

My rule is just like yours. If I have my car with me, I don't take the first drink. If I want to drink, I leave my car at home. I've learned how to navigate public transit and no longer think of taxis as expensive.

As I said last year, I crashed my car in a DUI accident. I paid fines, spent 20 days in jail, and went to DUI classes for a year. All that is over. If I hurt someone, that would have been with me the rest of my life.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:16 AM   #14
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I've learned how to navigate public transit and no longer think of taxis as expensive.

That's one thing I never got, how people could blow $60 on alcohol but balk at a $10 cab fare...
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 09:50 AM   #15
Gwennie!
Not Female at Birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
I've learned how to navigate public transit and no longer think of taxis as expensive.

That's one thing I never got, how people could blow $60 on alcohol but balk at a $10 cab fare...
Convienence. We americans treasure convience. People don't want to have to go fetch their car the next day. It's easier if you just don't bring your car in the first place.

This year I've had to take three cab rides over $75 each. I felt it was worth it each time.